*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. RickiBerlin

RickiBerlin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Yes, these are just saved HWInfo data for this CPU. In addition, I could also boot nor if I had previously limited the operating system to a core.

Vergleich QX9300 und Q9200 new.jpg

Systeminformation QX9300 166MHz 1Kern.JPG

002 QX9300 IPIU.jpg

001 IPIU.jpg

Quad im BIOS (klein).jpg

Yes, I saw your contribution and your phntastic work. Thank you for the publication! I read irregularly, but I do not actually write anymore. Had read that your touchpad stopped working and thought, maybe it has something to do with the FSB.

Unfortunately I forgot a lot of what I did then.
    Had tested together with a friend both the 280 GTX and the FX3700.
    We also tried to adapt the BIOS of the GPU at the time. Everything but without success. On the picture you also see the wrong memory indication (256MB)
    And I think the card was only in VGA mode. With driver what it is not possible to move to work.

All my memories have faded and I'm not dealing with this topic anymore.

2. remdale

remdale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not really. The touchpad had stopped working because the touchpad on/off button was disconnected. If you start the laptop with the button disconnected, a watchdog timer comes in place and disables the touchpad later. If you hot-plug the button, it will be red. Then I pressed it once, it turned blue and the touchpad started working again. So it had no relation to the FSB.
    I think if you change FSB when the laptop is on, it will cause the system to malfunction. But if you start with the fixed FSB value, it should be fine as long as the chipset and CPU can handle the clock frequency set at the start.

What if you disable 3 cores and leave just 1 active? Will it still be displaying 4 cores in the Intel processor identification utility? Or just 1?

Most likely you flashed a 256MB BIOS version. There is one available for some HP laptop. VBIOS Version: 62.92.51.00.05
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/48290/hp-quadrofx3700m-256-080625

3. RickiBerlin

Reputations:
    Just for info:
    Update KB4493472 from yesterday could be installed with me without problems.

But beware, one installation may cause others a non-repairable error.

Bluescreen without system recovery option. See posts on the net!!!!!!!!

4. RickiBerlin

Reputations:
    The "Intel processor identification utility" I use does not work from the operating system. (no windows 7 start)

Thus, it is not possible to reduce the core number.

Possibly, but I do not remember exactly.
    I had tried so much. Only the pictures and all the hardware have remained.
    But I follow your path and wish you to be more successful than me.

Unfortunately had the text deleted. This is just a picture of the Flash memory, which did not bring any benefit to the system. Just compared it to yours and put it in here.
    SPDTool,HWInfo,CPU-Z.png

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  5. remdale

Reputations:
    I'm not a fan of such things. I tend to avoid any updates. Win7 works fine without them.
    Usually it goes like this: the more updates you install, the slower your system will start to work. Be careful.

I can understand you. I was tired of putting off, flashing and then soldering back the BIOS chip dozens of times. I wish there were a socket for that chip, but unfortunately...
    Anyway, don't give up. Let's do it together to speed everything up. Why don't you learn the ACPI or MXM stuff?
    For example, I have a question as to why the CPU0 and CPU1 cores were addressed as 0x01 and 0x02 instead of 0x00 and 0x01? Changing the values didn't influence anything. I think there's a reason for that somewhere.
    I remember you told me quads should be booted without the EIST mod. Why?
    I will try to boot with the stock BIOS next time.

Everything is going fine for us. But the only thing I'm sad about is the max amount of RAM supported.
    By the way, I found a free SATA port. It's also displayed in the Intel Rapid Storage application. Now thinking on getting it to work if possible. Luckily, I have a spare non-working board, so I could remove the chipset, locate the needed pins and find out if they are wired to the other side of the board. But as 2 data pins are attached to ground, I guess it's not possible.
    At least there's a free PCI-e port that can be used somehow. But I will leave this for later.

6. remdale

Reputations:
    By the way, I have some sad news about my own Dragon. The audio dropouts have come back as well as OS freezes and the white screen issue. It all happens when I install a video driver.
    I remember I had a media player where I wanted to increase RAM by replacing its original RAM chips with ones of bigger capacity. The latter ones turned out to have been broken, so I put the original RAM back. But after that, OS freeses and the white screen started to happen. First, the picture froze and then little by little white lines started filling up the screen. That's why I think it's all because of the deffective RAM or vRAM.
    Besides, I found a post somewhere where it was supposed that 8800M's vRAM was deffective in one case.
    So I'm thinking on testing both RAM and vRAM now.

7. RickiBerlin

Reputations:
    That is extremely uncertain. The most important, even before a virus scanner, is a system with as few security holes as possible. But this is your decision.
    All my HDX (Windows7 64 bit) are always up to date and are exactly as fast as 2011. What I'm doing next year, when support for Win7 ends, I do not know yet.

No idea why you had to unsolder the chip. I did not have to do that at any time.
    I have always flashed via USB floppy. Feels 100 x.
    In between, again and again CPU exchange.

I have no answers to your questions. All I know is that none of the modified Bios versions kept me going. Even the non-EIST versions are not. And as I said, I am no longer active, have forgotten most and do not want to do anything more. The potential increase in performance is no longer really attractive. That was hardly the case in 2011.

For me, a clean system with C2D and up to 3.8 GHz is sufficient. Even then, it was always just a fun hobby and no need.

Yes, 8GB RAM is really too little for today's standards. But that's not the biggest problem.
    For many years my system is running with unlimited "Pagefile on SSD" again. Because I seldom reboot and sometimes have 100 tabs open in three browsers, this pagefile grows up to 20GB. The system still remains relatively fast thanks to the very fast SSD.

The real problem is always the GPU RAM. But also the increase from 512 MB to 1 GB would only slightly shift this problem today.

Sounds like a GPU problem.
    And just such additional problems made me stop my experiments.

For me, the tests went a NVidia8800 in defect.
    Completely without reference to the actual work.
    My friend had the BIOS chip adopted. He had to buy and program a new chip.
    In the remaining FX3700 is also not clear whether this is still ok.
    In summary, the HDX is a bit'ch as soon as you experiment with it.
    But all my HDX, which I do not build anymore, work absolutely flawlessly.
    I wish you could find and fix your mistake!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  8. remdale

Reputations:
    Write a new BIOS file to the floppy disk and flashing the BIOS. How much time did it take for you each time?
    Remove the BIOS chip, attach to the programmer, flash and solder it back. It took me around 2 minutes every time.
    I'm using my system with the pagefile off. I made a ramdisk for the TEMP folder. Such a config is really convenient and speeds everything up as long as you are watching RAM usage level. I have a lot of tabs opened too, but not 100+ for sure, so I feel fine with the pagefile off.
    Do you mean the white screen stuff? I think it's not my fault, but the one's who sold me the laptop.

It's sad to know that you are out of the modding stuff. I'd appreciate any help though.
    By the way, did you check out my LED LCD backlight mod?

9. RickiBerlin

Reputations:
    2 minutes including soldering. Incredible fast. Floppy disk is also fast and soldering is eliminated. Of course, I had previously installed all the BIOS versions on different floppy disks.

Also, I worked without Pagefile until 2013 or redirected it to the RAMDISK.

But, some require some programs a pagefile and for the pagefil the space on the RAMDISK at 100 + tabs is just too small. My browser cache is still redirected to the RAMDISK and the system has remained exactly the same fast.
    My fixed RAMDISK in WIN7 is 1.5GB of the available 8GB.

For normal hard drives the RAMDISKPAGEFILE was optimal, since SSD and the increased traffic on the net my open PAGEFILE on SSD is indispensable for me.

Problem remains the GPU RAM.

I thought after a ram update the error started. As I said, the HDX is *****y and I had so many problems which were not explainable.

Yes, but at some point you do other things in life. For me it was always just a hobby and never really necessary. I do not play on the HDX and for FullHD videos and browsing, the performance is still perfect today. By the way, I'm twice as old as you and can not see as well as I did then.
    Hope no HDX is broken, because I have no desire to screw.
    For your "LED LCD backlight mod" I must probably read backwards.

10. remdale

Reputations:
    I just need more time to find out the reason for that. The problem is that I didn't make tests right after acquiring the Dragon and then just started my experiments. So I'm not sure whose fault it is.

Anyway, I would be glad to get any idea from you on any mod.

Check this whole page out. You will find some other stuff as well
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/hp-hdx-9000-dragon-owners-lounge-part-2.515212/page-992