HP Envy x360 a good deal?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by NotVeryTechie, Jan 30, 2019.

1. NotVeryTechie

NotVeryTechie Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi there

I hope someone can help me. I have been researching and comparing systems until I am blue in the face! Honestly, I am driving myself mad. I know I am looking at mid-range systems, but for me it is still a large expense so I don't want to get it wrong!

I have been looking at a range of systems and found a very good deal on the HP Envy X360:
    • Intel Core i7-8550U (1.8 GHz, up to 4 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)
    • HP Sure View Integrated Privacy Screen 315.6" FHD IPS WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (1920 x 1080)
    • 16 GB memory
    • 1 TB HDD storage & 128 GB SSD storage
    • Pen and 3 years warranty
    • Just over £1000
    I really like this system, but I have looked at a number of reviews and these are my concerns:
    I have read that the hinges are not very robust and the lid can move quite a bit just from touching the screen, and as this is a touch-screen, that would be irritating
    The reviews also say that the screen is very reflective and dull, which means it reflects too much background and can be difficult to see in bright light
    I am not sure how loud it is.

I have looked at Lenovo products as well, but the configuration I am looking for is more expensive and I am not sure it is a lot better than this one and Dell is super expensive. I am just really uncertain and looking for answers.

Hope someone can help!

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Whatever notebook you pick, after you've spent some time with it, there will be some things you like about it and some you don't, cause that's life. Nobody builds the perfect notebook for £1000 and some would say £1000 is too expensive. You may wish to consider the FAQ stuck at the top of this forum and post back. That would help us flesh things out as you've not said anything about what you want or need. Much of what you've asked is subjective like whether HP is better than Lenovo or Dell.

If you've got questions about a specific notebook, you're probably better off posting in the manufacturer forum as you'll find more owners who have practical experience with the machine. If you think Dell is too expensive, you might want to look in the Dell UK Outlet. Good Luck.

3. NotVeryTechie

Reputations:
    Thanks! I did originally post all my requirements and got a few recommendations, but not many, so I have been searching as best I can on my own. I can repost that original post if that would help.

4. ZaZ

Reputations:
    After reading your other thread, it seems like you need a color accurate display, but they're a bit beyond your budget? I don't know much about the HP, but if you don't want reflections, then a touch screen notebook is probably not the best choice. Most touch screens are reflective due to the glass used for the touch surface.

The best screens usually go in more expensive notebooks. Maybe you want to look at something like the ThinkPad T580 with UHD screen, which is a very good screen, and a ThinkPad will get you a very good keyboard as well. It starts around £1,150, but if you can wait for a coupon or sale to come along, that would get it close to your target price. The lower budget E580 offers a FHD IPS screen, though probably not as good as the T580, and the good keyboard as well.

5. Destinatus

Destinatus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Stange luck.
    My old laptop died and best buy was having a sale on this one so I picked it up for $701 open box as a temporary laptop.

I was immediately drawn the to the screen.

I have the Ryzen 7 variant.

It feels solid and premium. (except the touchpad)
    To my surprise, it comes with a 4k touch screen.
    Battery life watching movies is 5 hours.
    Saddest part is it doesn't charge over USB-C which is insane because the charger is 65W and USB-C goes up to 98W.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edit: I just plugged in an 87W MacBook Pro charger on the USB-C port and it started charging. Not sure this is an intended use.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  6. NotVeryTechie

Reputations:
    Destinatus, thank you so much. This is great to know. I hope you don't mind a few questions. I have read lots and lots of reviews and I know there are differences in the actual specs between models and also what is available in the UK. The model I was looking at is the i7 one and comes with lots of RAM and an SSD drive plus an additional HDD. My questions were:
    - I do some graphics work and need good colour matching, I wasn't sure if the colour was good enough on this computer and a lot of the reviews are saying that the screen is very dark, which would not be good!
    - I have also got some queries around the touchpad being right in the way of where your hands go when you type - I do a LOT of typing
    - And I was concerned about the quality of the webcam, which doesn't need to be perfection, but it is a lot to spend for something sub-par.
    - The other issue was whether the screen is too reflective and could be irritating when typing if you have your hands reflected on the screen
    - And the other issue was whether a 2kg weight (the 15.6") is just too much for a tablet

I do hope you can help with some more input! I am really struggling with this!!

7. Destinatus

Destinatus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I can't help much with the screen. I have the 4k screen, you're looking at a 1080p screen.

The touchpad doesn't get in the way of typing. My thumbs hit just below the space bar where there's no touchpad. However, the touchpad is plastic and a different plastic than the plamrest. Glass is preferred. (not happy)

The webcam is crap. No other way of describing it. (i won't be using it)

Wow. I hadn't noticed my fingers reflecting on the screen where the logo is. I guess it depends on the angle of the screen. The angle I use it at, there is no reflection. If you use it at a 80-90 degree angle, you will see the reflection. I mostly use it connected to HDMI + keyboard+mouse.

It is 5 pounds. Compared to my old GT72, it's light. It's about the same weight as a macbook pro.
    Also, it's a pain trying to take off the bottom cover to install upgrades.

Overall, for the price, it's a good laptop.

8. ZaZ

Reputations:
    There's a review on Notebookcheck for the Envy X360 Ryzen version and it says the color gamut on that notebook is narrow. I don't know if it shares the same screen, but if I were betting, I would say yes. There may be multiple suppliers too . Manufacturers like to do this in case on supplier has a problem they can go to the other. The T580 uses a very good screen and you can disable the touch pad and use the stick.

9. NotVeryTechie

Reputations:
    I have also just seen the Dell Inspirion 7000 2 in 1, which has a slightly higher spec than the HP and is a tiny bit cheaper. Is this a better system?