HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j000 (AMD A10-5750M) Richland Review

Discussion in 'HP' started by T2050, Jun 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wangsk

wangsk Newbie

Reputations:
    I had it for two days but I have some issues with the HDD, it is not quiet. it has some annoying sound, its not loud but its very annoying, its like the sound came from a aged HDD. I took it to the store but the sales said we need to contact HP as it is not a fault unit, he noticed the sound issue but he can only replace it with a RMA no from HP.... if not i may just change it to SSD...

2. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I noticed no noise, well just the normal and it is very quite. I know that there are certain model laptop drives that like to do annoying cycle checks, it could be one of those. Mine where both the same model but different size.
    What the model number of your notebook? If you download HWinfo, then run it, post you model number of the hard drive and then Google it, then you have some sort of case or complaint you can say that it is a common issue (depending on findings), then you should not have to accept it as a grounds for return.
    Like the NZ model, the Australian model should have a mSATA slot free, buy like an Intel 520 120GB for cheap, or if you are going to spend a bit more, go for a 256MB mSATA drive.

3. codedivine

codedivine Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys. I also got an Envy 15 with A10 5750 and Radeon 8750M. Mine is a Canadian model with a 15.6'' 1366x768 display, backlit keyboard, 8GB of RAM and 1TB 5400rpm HDD.
    Btw the battery on my unit is 58WHr and not 62WHr other people mentioned.
    Let me know if you have any questions. Got it today, still exploring around but feels pretty snappy so far.

4. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I couldn't run any benchmarks for anyone here, due to getting a faulty unit and not accepting a replacement from the same batch. Please run some benchmarks with crossfire enabled and with the 8750M just on its own.

5. FreshScent

FreshScent Newbie

Reputations:
    Would also like your second opinion on overall build quality. Was yours the touchscreen version? What do you think of the display's quality? How is the sound system (compared with any experience with other sound systems from previous laptops if possible)? Any keyboard flexing like T2050 experienced?

6. iain.lightbody

iain.lightbody Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just received my 15z-j000 from HP. I ordered directly from them. Mine had the A8-5550M with 8750M, 1080p screen, 6GB RAM, and 1TB hybrid hard drive. I had problems with it overheating when just sitting idle or with Internet Explorer or Firefox running. It even restarted on me when I was writing to HP support about the overheating. I have an RMA already to go. It's sad that I just got it and have to send it in for repairs the day I got it.

Mine is not the touchscreen version. I didn't notice any problems with the screen. It's brighter than other laptops I have had and doesn't look that washed out. The sound for me was about par for the course for laptops, but I didn't really get to play much music. There is not mSATA available if anyone is interested in knowing. I also did not experience any keyboard flexing.

So now you guys have heard of two that have had overheating problems. Buy at your own risk.

7. Samunosuke

Samunosuke Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So is it confirmed that the non touchscreen version has no msata slot? That's very disappointing. Been eyeing this system and for below $700 with 1080p and 8750m, it looks like a solid deal. Though, without an msata slot, the storage options are very limited as there's no ODD.

8. iain.lightbody

Reputations:
    I didn't see mSATA slot when I opened it up. That was actually my purpose in opening it up, too. I was saddened when I didn't see one.

9. Samunosuke

Samunosuke Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's a shame. Seeing all these problem reports are making me skeptical. The specs I want include the A8-5550, 8750m, 1080p, backlit keyboard and it seems like all the configs with the 8750m have issues. Would love to see the benchmarks on this laptop. I might take a gamble and see.

10. iain.lightbody

Reputations:
    The 8750m on mine was not actually overheating according to GPUz. It was the APU that was. Speccy said the CPU was at 85* C and GPUz said the 8550g was at 80* C. I just sent it back yesterday. Hopefully it comes back in better shape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.