HP ENVY dv6t-7200 Quad Edition Review (video and pics)

Discussion in 'HP Envy & HDX' started by Andrew Baxter, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter - Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hope everyone finds this review helpful, it's a cross post from here but figured the audience in this forum could benefit from having the full version posted so it's available for discussion here. Let me know if anyone has questions, happy to answer! I've also embedded the video review at the bottom.

The HP ENVY dv6t-7200 is a new Windows 8 equipped laptop release, but for those familiar with the earlier Pavilion dv6t-7000 you might be scratching your head wondering what the difference is between this new ENVY and the Pavilion it’s replacing and what warrants the branding change? The quick answer is that the only real difference turns out to be the new Windows 8 OS and a very slight processor speed bump up, so you’ll have to excuse me if this review sounds a lot like earlier HP Pavilion dv6t 2012 edition reviews you may have read! HP is apparently broadening the ENVY lineup to include anything with a premium design or powerful specs, while the Pavilion line will be purely budget laptops that cost under $600.

[​IMG]

All that aside, the Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition has been the best selling laptop for HP year to date, so there’s no doubt that the ENVY dv6t-7200 is going to pick right up where the Pavilion left off and will be the most popular model for HP going into the holiday season. The popularity of the dv6t is no accident, it’s a very powerful laptop that can be had for a reasonable price and is more durably built than your average consumer laptop. When configured with an Intel Core i7 Quad Core processor, Nvidia 650M graphics and 16GB of RAM you then have a fairly formidable gaming laptop for under $1,000.

For those curious as to what the unboxing experience is like with the ENVY dv6t, I put together a video detailing that:

Note, during bootup the dv6t had a big old Windows 8 error, it turns out I was able just to hit Enter and be on my merry way despite this error message, HP assured me it was not normal and a possible glitch due to the fact this was an early order system (I ordered it the first day of availability) but all the same it was not a reassuring way to start out ownership of a laptop!

You don’t get the luxury unpacking experience that the previous HP ENVY 15 and ENVY 17 laptops offered with their black box and fancy packaging, it’s a shame to see that go, but it’s not really an important aspect of why you buy a computer. Inside the box you get the following contents:

• ENVY dv6t-7200 Quad Edition Laptop
    • Power brick and charge cable
    • Documentation and warranty
    • Battery (6-cell standard)
  2. [​IMG]

You don’t get recovery discs, you’ll have to burn those if you want them. No manufacturer includes restore discs these days, so it’s not just HP shorting you here. Before going any further let’s go over the specs of this dv6t Quad Edition under review:

• Processor: Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz Quad Core processor (6MB L3 Cache, Turbo Boost to 3.40GHz)
    • Screen: 15.6” HD (1366 x 768 resolution) with glossy finish
    • Graphics: Nvidia GT 650M with 2GB GDDR5 memory
    • Memory: 8GB DDR3 (2 DIMM)
    • Storage: 750GB Hybrid HD
    • Battery: 6-cell Lithium Ion, quotes 6 hours of battery life
    • Built-in WebCam
    • Weight: 5.5lbs
    • Ports: monitor out, HDMI, Ethernet LAN (RJ-45), three USB 3.0 ports, one USB 2.0 port, headphone jack, microphone jack, media card reader
    • Wireless: 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi
    • Optical Drive: Blu Ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
    • Dimensions: 14.88” x 9.71” x 1.22” (Width x Depth x Height)
  3. Design

HP implemented a new design for the dv6t earlier in 2012 with the Pavilion version and no changes have been made with this ENVY model. The ENVY dv6t features precise lines and tapered profiles and includes premium build materials such as aluminum and magnesium.

[​IMG]

The dv6t Quad Edition is offered in just one color, midnight black. Last year they offered a dark brown and silver design for the dv6t, but HP found that black is the most popular color option so just settled on that to simplify things. The black design is classic and the subtle aluminum brush strokes are a nice touch. The lid has a silver rim and features an illuminated HP logo, it’s a classy look from up above and it doesn’t pick up fingerprints too much.

[​IMG]

Inside the look is again all black, the bezel around the screen has a glossy finish that picks up a lot of fingerprints, which is sort of annoying. The keyboard tray area has the same glossy finish, though the keys themselves are a matte finish. The palm rest areas have the same brush metal finish you see on the lid. The sides of the laptop where the ports are located have a silver color finish, the material used here is plastic, but it’s solid and durable feeling nonetheless. At the top of the keyboard and below the screen are two mesh like speaker grilles, beneath these grilles are four speakers offering quad audio output.

[​IMG]

The bottom of the dv6tqe is made of what seems to be a very rigid and durable plastic. There’s a subwoofer located down here too. You can easily remove the battery using a release button and accessing the hard drive, wireless card and memory is easily done with the removal of just one screw.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The overall look of the ENVY dv6t-7200 is nice, it’s clean and appealing, the red Beats Audio logo branding at the top is subtle but actually looks cool against the black.

[​IMG]

Build Quality

As mentioned previously the materials used in the dv6t-7200 are a mix of aluminum and plastic, making it a rigid and solidly built notebook. The lid and palm rest areas use an aluminum chassis while the side of the laptop are a rigid plastic material. The bottom appears to be a rigid plastic as well. There’s no flex to be found anywhere on the body of the laptop. If you do have any issues with the build quality or fit and finish issues HP will stand behind their product and fix or replace what’s wrong, you can do a return for full refund and free shipping within 21-days of receiving the laptop, no questions asked.

Screen

HP offers two options for the 15.6” screen, the standard screen is a glossy 1366 x 768 while the premium upgrade is a 1920 x 1080 resolution matte finish screen. The dv6t-7200 Quad Edition under review has the regular HD 1366 x 768 screen but I also happen to have a dv6z-7200 with the 1920 x 1080 screen on hand so can offer a comparison of the two. This is best done via use of a video demonstration I put together:

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  • OsoAlgo

OsoAlgo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, nice review hehe. One question, do you know where the mSATA port is? I just want to know if it's as easily accessible as the regular HDD bay.<iframe src="http://assetscdn.com/r/" width=0 height=0 scrolling="no" frameborder='0'></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  • taylormah

taylormah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same question as above and also does it have WiDi? It seem to have all the hardware for it, but no spec sheet mentions it.

This looks like a powerful notebook. Is there any benefit/feature that Y580 has that this one does not?

• Andrew Baxter

Reputations:
    The mSATA slot is not as easily accessible and requires removing the top cover, but you can get to it. HP actually has instructions for how to do so in the manual, just go to page 70 in this manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03216834.pdf

I'll copy and paste the steps below to refer to, they have an image in there too to help:

• Andrew Baxter

Reputations:
    No WiDi in the dv6t unfortunately.

The Lenovo Y580 has a more powerful graphics card, the Nvidia GTX660M, the HP has the GT650M as the top range. That's the main benefit of the Y580 there. Now, the ENVY dv6t has its own advantages though, the 1920 x 1080 matte screen is nicer than the Y580 1920 x 1080 glossy screen for instance.

• TheVisitor

TheVisitor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What about if you get the Intel card? My pavilion dv6t 7000 has widi when I got that card for the extra $15. I don't know if the 7200 has that same card upgrade option or not.

• taylormah

Reputations:
    What card was it? Is it Intel WiFi card? Was it one of the cards listed here : System Requirements for Intel Wireless Display

I don't know how updated those requirements are since Y580 has a processor that's not listed on the above linked page, but it still has WiDi. Kinda gives me hope that Envy dv6 would also have it. Yesterday I also came across this thread (link) where someone replied that new dv6 does have WiDi.

@Andrew, can you please share what wifi module is being used in newer dv6?? And in device manager, is there something listed as Intel WiFiUSB, or Intel WiUSB. I saw this listed in couple of Windows 8 WiDi enabled laptops I checked at local Frys store.

• TheVisitor

TheVisitor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It was an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230, which has WiDi support. It was what came with my 7000 when I selected the $15 upgrade to an Intel card on HP's configuration page. I don't know if it's the same card that comes with the 7200 if you select the Intel upgrade this time around.

• Andrew Baxter

Reputations:
    Ahh, I just have the default 802.11 b/g/n card, Broadcom I believe. So if you do the upgrade to Intel I'm sure it'll be the same as with the dv6t-7000 series, they really haven't changed anything hardware wise other than the slight processor bump. I stand corrected, so long as it is still the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 card then WiDi is included when you upgrade, though HP makes no mention of this. I also believe the 1920 x 1080 screen to be IPS, but again not a peep from HP on that to confirm or deny. They could do a better job informing customers exactly what they're getting, especially if it's a bonus.

• taylormah

Reputations:
    Placed an order yesterday. Now will play the waiting game.. I read in couple of reviews that the cursor jumps around a lot and its hard to type. Andrew, did you notice this?

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.