1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

HP ENVY 4t (Sleekbook 14") Review

Discussion in 'HP Envy & HDX' started by T2050, May 26, 2012.

1. hwwr

hwwr Notebook Enthusiast

Hi there, may I ask what's the reason to increase the hibernation partition?

By default mine is 8gig.

And how do you increase the hibernation partition? I tried to play around in the Intel Rapid Storage Technology and ended up having no hibernation partition. It now uses the full 30gb as cache.
    :(

Is there a way to partition the HDD?
    Because of the cache and raid0, it makes things complicated.
    I tried by jus shrinking the volume but ended up not havin the HP RECOVERY to work. Had to bring down to HP to do a change of HDD.

By disabling the IRST does the ssd becomes out of the raid 0 array?
    When i disable it i was able to see the unallocated partition in disk management. Perhaps when disabled, the raid is removed.

2. superballz00

superballz00 Notebook Enthusiast

Anyone find a way to disable the RAID 0 without having to remove either the SSD or HDD? Ctrl + I doesn't work during boot and the Intel RST software doesn't have the option to delete the RAID. I've even tried installing intel matrix storage manager but still can't access the option ROM. The older driver from intel matrix storage manager did corrupt the RAID so windows can't load but doesn't disable the RAID.

I tried installing windows with the IRST drivers to see if I could disable the RAID that way but had no luck. I did noticed that the SSD is split into two partitions with a standalone 6GB that shows up as a different drive from the HDD but the rest (24GB ish) is in the RAID 0 array with the HDD. Also can't get GParted to load successfully.

3. CoreyDS

CoreyDS Notebook Enthusiast

So by removing the mSATA and installing a Samsung 830 (in my case), the Samsung will run at SATAII speeds? Am I correct or...? I really want this notebook but if the 830 is going to be crippled that would kill it for me.

4. vxxed

vxxed Newbie

Is there any way to test how well Solidworks (the latest) runs on the machine? I wanted to go with the AMD card for that purpose specifically

5. MongolOtter

MongolOtter Newbie

Hi. I have a couple really newbie questions...
    I'm looking into getting the Envy 4t, but I'm on a rather tight budget. I play some games (mainly Diablo 3, World of Warcraft and Warcraft 3) and do a ton of word processing and manuscript editing. Would the 2nd gen Intel(R) core(TM) i3-2377M Processor + AMD 2GB Radeon HD 7670M Discrete-Class Graphics, be sufficient? Also, is the 32g SSD worth it, or is it something that could be replaced later if necessary (and perhaps for cheaper)?

Thanks.

6. vxxed

vxxed Newbie

My guess is, using two references, you'll be playing D3 at medium and I think WoW will work just fine?

AMD Radeon HD 7670M - Notebookcheck.net Tech
    Intel Core i5 2467M Notebook Processor - Notebookcheck.net Tech

7. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

8. MongolOtter

MongolOtter Newbie

Cool. Thanks :)

9. banjo

banjo Notebook Geek

Yes, the 830 will only be running sata II. What I did was replaced the msata (which runs in sata III) with a 256 Crucial msata chip, put my Samsung 830 SSD in place of the HD. Did a fresh install (no fake raid) and put Windows on the msata drive (left my 830 disconnected), then after booting and getting things the way I wanted them , opened it up again and connected my 830.
    Believe me you will not really notice any performance hit unless you constantly want to run testing software. Windows loads under 7 seconds from start to finish. Shuts off even quicker. As long as you use the msata as your OS drive, it will run in sata III if you leave the other drive disconneted. To me it doesn't matter that much.:thumbsup:

10. siyangqiu

siyangqiu Newbie

Has anyone had trouble installing Intel Smart Connect? My always says Platform Check Failed: Unsupported Hardware. Apparently, you need to enable something in BIOS, but I can't find anything like that. I'm on F.0A BIOS, the latest.

11. runtohell121

runtohell121 Notebook Deity

So I received a HP Envy 4t-1000 from Engadget giveaway and was messing with the Intel RAID settings and then the laptop was unable to detect the hard drive. Tried to remove the SSD, boot, doesn't work even after disabling all the RAID. My result was to use the HP System Recovery that I created via HP Media Recreation software. The bad thing was, the System Recovery USB was missing the MBR which I fixed it using testdisk. The laptop then restores, but unable to restore completely with errors

ChkErrBB.CMD : Detect some error during PININST_BBV
    ChkErrBB.CMD : Check c:\system.sav\logs\BurnBootWarn.log
    ChkErrBB.CMD : or, check c:\system.sav\logs\BurnBootMerge.log

Tried to restore it about 2 times already and same result.

Specs:
    HP Envy 4t
    Intel Core i3-2377M
    Intel HD 3000
    4gb RAM
    500gb HDD
    32gb Samsung Cache SSD

My other option was thinking about using the 32gb SSD as the main boot drive and then 500gb for storage/programs but not sure how that will work. I do have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit so I can do a fresh install if I need to.

12. ibanezbass

ibanezbass Notebook Guru

I disabled my raid just fine on my 6t-1000 with the Intel Rapid Storage Technology program. Just go in and disable acceleration and it will return the SSD to a regular drive. Then just go partition the drive how you want it. I was able to dual boot Win 8 RP / Win 7 this way with no problem. The bootloader will load whichever drive has the active partition. So Windows 8 had the active bootloader because it was the last installed. No need to disassemble for me.

13. runtohell121

runtohell121 Notebook Deity

So after swapping a SSD to replace the HDD, the 32gb SSD is useless? Can't raid/cache it with another SSD? I have a Samsung 830 128gb SSD installed and left the 32gb mSATA SSD installed inside.

14. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

15. laptoptech

laptoptech Newbie

Hi

i would like to know if i get lower FPS with the i3 version? can i upgrade ram? thanks a lot

16. fatalis26

fatalis26 Newbie

Hi there!
    I have envy 4 with i5 ivy bridge and amd 7670M..
    I experienced a severe throttling issue when playing games..
    For example, playing sleeping dogs in native resolution at medium details after 30 minutes cpu stuck at 1.7 Ghz, and after an hour, it started to fluctuate between 798 Mhz and 1.7 Ghz..
    I used my laptop on a wooden desk, so the vents are clear enough..
    Now, i'm planning to buy cooling pad for the envy 4.. Is there any suggestion for which the cooling pad i should buy?
    Since the heat mostly at the top left, i think that using a common cooling pad ( big fan in the middle) is pointless since there's nothing on the middle of the laptop.. Thanks!

17. regietan105

regietan105 Newbie

i am also interested in your question, i wonder why the internal fan was located at the upper right but it seems the warm part of the laptop is on the upper left.. i confirm this when i open the back and install additional ram. just a small fan located at the right side. did you buy a cooling pad already?

18. Chutsman

Chutsman Notebook Evangelist

Got the Envy TouchSmart Ultrabook 4 with Win8 and am looking for a reliable way to backup AND recover the system. For years I've been using Acronis True Image on my older systems (two other laptops and two desktops running a mix of XP, Win7 and Win8) and the recovery process has always been viable. But on this Ultrabook 4, even though Acronis says the recovery is successful when I reboot, Win 8 puts up a message that there are problems and then tries without success to effect repairs. So then I have to invoke the Factory Recovery and reconfigure the entire system to my liking.

Has anyone been successful in backing up AND restoring one of these or similar ultrabooks? Thanks.

19. MickyMax

MickyMax Notebook Geek

Just upgraded my fresh bought HP Envy 4 1170sf with a Samsung SSD 840 Pro and 2 x 8 Gb of Crucial memory. All is working as expected.:D

Two pictures from the Envy disassembled:
    uploadfromtaptalk1357247831835.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357247851827.jpg
    The stock ram on right and the new on left:
    uploadfromtaptalk1357247870391.jpg

20. emd2009

emd2009 Newbie

Guide on on how to do this please?