1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (3XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Envy & HDX' started by justinkw1, Dec 19, 2011.

1. blacknoise

blacknoise Newbie

Wow AU4U, thank you so much for the thoughtful and detailed post. That helps tremendously! I will wait until the laptop arrives, confirm that it has a msata port, and then consider your advice in the purchase.

This is ultimately going to be a Linux-based sound mixing and video editing system. I will keep a dual boot partition of Win7 around on the OEM hybrid disk drive, but I hardly ever use Windows. This is why I am concerned a bit about any limitations HP might have imposed in the BIOS with drive mixing configurations. Ultimately, I hope that the mSATA port will support any brand/size mSATA SSD and identify it as just another SATA hard disk. The fact that HP ships mSATA cards from two different manufacturers is a good sign that the implementation might be open. Though, I read a post on the HP support forum when a support agent said that only very specific drives and combinations are supported. Was that support agent reading those facts off an index card or did they actually know what they were talking about? I guess I will find out when I try to stuff a mSATA card in there.

Assuming that an aftermarket mSATA card identifies as a standard drive, I intend to run Linux from the msata, map temp and swap (really only used for hibernating) and other other large project files on the physical platter disk. That should give a pretty screaming fast setup. Though, I am a bit nervous based on the support response. I hope I made the right decision when assuming that ram, disks, and such can be user upgraded. :confused:

2. MrDRamos

MrDRamos Newbie

I wrote some scripts to help work with the numeric softpack sub-directories contained in swsetup.
    Unzip the scripts to the swsetup directory. Then open a cmd.exe window, cd \swswtup and run the batch files.
    The "Get-CvaInfo" powershell script parses the *.cva files for you.
    The "Describe-SwDir.bat" will list meaningfull description of each numberic softpack directory.

Attached Files:

3. AU4U

AU4U Notebook Consultant

WHOA DUDE,,,,,,you want this guy to DL SCRIPTS and run them on his PC??

>>>EDIT<<<
    Running the DL thru VirusTotal

Describe-SwDir.bat 0 / 41 https://www.virustotal.com/file/973...45b728161412874c14feeb12/analysis/1337767279/
    Get-CvaInfo.bat 0 / 42 https://www.virustotal.com/file/5e6...6b42e57a6df441716bbe4f59/analysis/1337767599/
    Get-CvaInfo.ps1 0 / 42 https://www.virustotal.com/file/2f2...200f25f376db3bddcb501a57/analysis/1337767766/

Just checking Dude.....Ya Know,,,,,,

1> Everything depends on this? No Sir it doesn't. You can run UBUNTU or (if you are advanced enough) BACKTRACK (others as well) from a USB 2.0, DVD or in your case, duel boot from the OS drive.

2> The Envy 17-3090NR supports SATA III (6Gb/s) all 3 internal ports. It has 3x USB 3.0 and 1x USB 2.0
    You have to boot from a USB 2.0, and in the new Envy lineup (32xx series) you will have 4x USB 3.0's. This might screw things up for the boot from usb option, unless the new INTEL chip (HM76) that ships with the 3rd Gen i7's allows for this, I haven't found an answer for this question yet.
    Intel makes a 40 and 80Gb mSATA II SSD 310 Series MLC, the 128 (Samsung) is SATA III,,,,
    BUT,,,,,
    I had an up time (not from hibernation) of 12 seconds with mSATA II SSD!

Disable Hibernation with an SSD, it causes excess writes to the SSD, SSD (m)SATA II is fast enough, the INTEL SSD TOOLBOX should do this for you. Page files and swap on a separate drive (non ssd) defeats the speed (co$t) of the SSD.
    I have run BACKTRACK from a memory stick (32Gb class 10), and, UBUNTU from an Intel 40Gb 320 series installed in an external storage case, a good quality USB cable is needed.

3> 1st, Depends if the hardware is soldered to the mobo, and 2nd, The bios allows the boot order to change.

4> Those guys read off an index card,,,,,the 3090nr is ONLY supposed to support the mSATA and a drive in bay 1. Oddly enough, the cable for bay 2 is in my machine, but no drive bracket?!
    I had all 3 running, BUT, you will have to return it to the supported configuration if you send it in for any warranty servicing!

5> Again, Disable hibernation, SSD SATA II is FAST ENOUGH, and it causes excessive writes to the SSD. Page file and swap to another NON SSD defeats the speed of the SSD. The Intel SSD Toolbox is your friend, it has TRIM, use it.

6> There are only 7 things that are user replaceable, plus the power brick:
    2.5" Drives(2x) / mSATA / RAM(2x) / WLAN / WiDi / Subwoofer / Optical Drive
    If you remove your battery you WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!
    There are 3 screws, they have a brittle plastic cap glued on the top, they will break/crack if you try to remove them.

Your best bet,,,,,IMHO,,,,,Get a 120Gb (+/-) 2.5" SATA III SSD, migrate your OS to it, partition it 80/40 (W7/Linux), put it in bay 1, your hibird in bay 2,,,,,,DONE!
    Actually, you just have to put the SSD in bay 2 and change the boot order..............:yes:

4. blacknoise

blacknoise Newbie

AU4U, you are amazing. Thank you so much for the detailed and thorough answers. I really appreciate it!

5. KWB

KWB Newbie

Went with the Samsung 256GB SSD (about $300). Used the Intel/Acronis Data Migration software (free to use with an Intel SSD, available to download on Intel's website), and cloned the Intel 320 300GB SSD onto the Samsung 830 Series 256GB Sata III SSD via the USB cable that came with the Samsung Drive (Notebook Upgrade Kit Version - Newegg.com). Used the Proportional Cloning option, it was so simple, a caveman could even do it!
    To test the Samsung clone, I opened the back of the laptop and replaced the Intel SSD (don't forget to disconnect the battery), with the Samsung SSD and powered it up. It booted up without a hitch! The only difference performance wise was the Samsung SSD has a Windows Experience Index of 7.9 where the Intel SSD has a Windows Experience Index of 7.6. However, I could tell the Samsung drive operated a tad quicker than the Intel drive did.

6. lsramair

lsramair Notebook Consultant

This is incorrect, only one of the SATA ports is 6Gbps. The other SATA and the mSATA are both 3Gbps.

7. AU4U

AU4U Notebook Consultant

OOPS,,,,,,got the 3090 and the 3290 mixed up.............
    BTW, as you are so knowledgeable,,,,,,,does the 3290's 4x USB 3.0 support a boot from USB? As far as I know, you need a USB 2.0 to boot from, unless the new HM76 chip allows for this.

8. mraufait

mraufait Notebook Consultant

For all you current or future owners looking for more ram!

MEMORY DEAL: $77 Free Shipping

CORSAIR 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 Laptop Memory Model CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9

23% off w/ promo code EMCNEHF54, ends 5/30

$77 Dollars Free Shipping

This seems to be the best deal I've seen yet. Reviewers pretty much indicate it will work in everything from "fruit" machines to HP's. Oh yeah, and if you add the 1333 mhz 16GB option on HP's site it costs $466.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233217&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL052412&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL052412-_-EMC-052412-Index-_-LaptopMemory-_-20233217-L0A

Enjoy!

9. Jstr_MSFT

Jstr_MSFT Notebook Evangelist

I'd never even use half that much...

Sent from my SGH-i917 Windows Phone using Board Express

10. mraufait

True, average user probably wouldn't ever utilize 16GB but my work requires I run multiple VM's, Delphi Apps, and non related PS. At $76 it's a great deal seeing that if you just upgraded to 8 GB's on HP's site it would cost you $60 and 8 GB is not out of reach for most if your buying a laptop of this status IMO.

Has anyone ever used FatWallet to get the extra 5% back on their site? Is it for real and do they add you to mail blasts and .....?

HP: 35% off Customized HP ENVY 15, ENVY 17, and ENVY 17 3D Laptops plus Free Shipping coupon - NBP9634

11. ironman

ironman Notebook Evangelist

12. mraufait

Thank you for the response! Good information as I have never tried them.

13. regex

regex Notebook Enthusiast

Since there's no sense using my brand new Envy 17t-3000 until the SSD and RAM arrive (planning to do a fresh Win7 install), I had time for a Sunday project.

This is a laptop stand / cradle. If I end up using a USB hub, I'll add a shelf on the right to turn it into a docking station.

[​IMG]
    The first thought that got me started on stands is ventilation. Some of my old laptops got way too hot, so I used to prop them up on bottle caps or pieces of wood.

[​IMG]
    On this one, the large "bridges" on the left and right make it really easy to pick up the laptop.

[​IMG]
    The height really helps the ergonomics.

Not shown: dimples so the Envy's rubber feet can anchor themselves in the station.

For the finishing, haven't decided whether to oil it, paint, stain or use poly... any thoughts?

Wishing you all a fun week.

:)

14. KWB

KWB Newbie

As seen on TV...FLEX SEAL! Black rubberized spray coating on that wood would look pretty cool...you guys get TV in New Zealand don't you? :)

15. Smurf56

Smurf56 Notebook Consultant

Hehe, looks good. I also made a "stand" for my Envy to lift it a bit more from the ground. I was hoping for the fans to turn off completely. Didn't work out. Disconnectiing the battery also didn't help (it's used as a DTR). The battery is still inside the laptop, but disconnected.
    But since I've got two 27" Samsung displays (and the K800, also :D), my "stand" is below my desk and it's simply wooden, no color, no finishing :D I'd also say, that your finishing should be some kind of appropriate to the Envy...matt black or something.

16. regex

regex Notebook Enthusiast

Hi KWB, hi Smurf56

TV, no, what's that, I'm confused. :confused:

Thank you for your suggestions. I had no idea you could "rubberize" an object just by spraying it! For this time, the lady of the house steered me in the wood direction---will post picture when the third coat of varnish dries. But I'll keep that spray in mind for another time.

The 2x8GB arrived today. Life is good. SSD hasn't shipped yet, though---sounds like North America is having a holiday.

All the best

17. AU4U

AU4U Notebook Consultant

,,,,,,,(insert sarcasm here),,,,,,ROTFALMAO

My preference for wood is a clear polyurethane coating, rather than varnish, for hard wood trim and decorative objects such as jewellery box's and picture frames. My girlfriend is into antiques, so I've done a lot of wood finishing, and lots of final finishing with steel wool.
    For softer wood, such as Pine, I have used a product called DURATHANE for floors, it's 5x tougher than polyurethane, and with several coats produces a rock hard, clear, protective finish that protects the softer types of wood from dents and scratches.

My 12' bench top was finished with DURATHANE 5x, its my main studio (home) work bench, the butcher block top is is made of Ash. The cabinets are finished on the OSG with 2x coats, inside 1x, trays 1x.
    [​IMG]

Whatever you chose, nice job on the wood work.

18. daandi

daandi Notebook Enthusiast

Buying a used one: Was there a 700gb HDD for the Envy 17/17 3D 3xxxx? If not, then is there a non-hybrid 750GB HDD they used or will all Envy 17/17 3d 3xxx will have a hybrid 750gb hdd if shipping with a drive in that size?

19. AU4U

AU4U Notebook Consultant

There are all sorts of configurations, some have a 80Gb mSATA SSD and a 750Gb 7200RPM SATA II HDD, some have a single 750GB 7200RPM Hibird SATA II HDD.
    What you need to know is if its an CTO or a preconfigured model.

The information needed is here on the service tag:
    [​IMG]
    #2 is what you will enter on the HP site to find your service manual 24/7 Online support for HP's Home and Home Office Products - HP Customer Care (United States - English), it will have the storage type listed, if more than one is listed, you have a CTO (configure to order), you will need to get the information from the notebooks HP Support Assistant.

---> NOTE <---
    You may have to navigate to the region that the notebook came from to find the service manual on the HP site.

20. Lvivkse

Lvivkse My username is a typo

anyone experience this thing just going into slow motion during video operation?

noticed it get really hot, all audio and video go slow motion

cpu is off the charts for the game i was playing, but also for the audio - so i'll have to kill that process

really irking me, happened during both game and watching an .MKV