*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (3XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by justinkw1, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timoric

timoric Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Two weeks ago I bought a used but pristine Envy 17-3200CTO (i5-3210m, 8gb, 1TB 5400 RPM, Blu-Ray).
    I am pretty unhappy about it because the seller advertised it on an Amazon link that referred to an i7 3D model and said theirs was the exact same model and didn't know the difference.
    Long story short, I decided to take a partial refund on Paypal dispute and live with it.
    Now I am struggling with the slower components I got.

After turning everything off but essentials I boot in about 33 seconds with a slow 5400 RPM drive.
    I was able to install the 13.1 ATI drivers over the HP Drivers and keep switchable graphics but I noticed you still have to watch it since StarCraft II was using the slow integrated until I added it to the programs to use High Performance on.
    I can get 30 FPS or so on mostly ultra settings, still playing around with it, one mission really bogged down to about 8 FPS because of the huge army.
    Once when I left it on the bed for 10 minutes with the game on pause, it had the bad audio stutter and super slow mo graphics when I unpaused and I had to exit the game, the machine overheats pretty quick if those down firing vents are touching anything.
    I want to get a second 1 TB and a 256gb MSata, later 16gb of RAM if the price really drops but that still may not be enough.
    The i5 really blows, it seems way slower to me than my 3610m i7 on my Samsung Series 7 Gamer laptop, sometimes I hear the audio stutter when a second program opens, glitches like that.
    I have never done a processor switch but it bothers me enough that I might attempt it in a few years if I can get a good deal on a top of the line Ivy Bridge.
    I also would be interested in grabbing one of the 120hz screen with the whole bezel attached you can sometimes buy.

I guess if anyone is interested in buying this for what I paid, I would sell it to you on Paypal, $650. I have two nice extras - a large CaseCrown Black Leather like bag, and a new Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX (version 2). I bought them the same time I had the laptop on order.

2. cicetto

cicetto Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,
    I have a 3290el, I'm looking for an answer, I want to know if my laptop had an msata sata 3 or sata 2.

3. TheAtreidesHawk

TheAtreidesHawk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Where are the fans on this laptop...how do I clean them out....is this something Best Buy can do?

4. ana8lopez

ana8lopez Newbie

Reputations:
    Cleaning fans is easy

-Unplug computer if plugged to AC
    -Turn computer over and lay it on soft cloth or dry tower to protect it
    -See page 39 and 40 of the Envy 17 Maintenance and Service Guide in HP website (see link)

Manuals for HP ENVY 17-3277nr Notebook PC | HP® Support

-Slide the release latch and remove the battery/hardrive cover
    -Using a Phillips screwdriver Remove the six Phillips PM2.0×3.7 screws (1) that secure the service access cover to
    the computer.
    -Release the service access cover by sliding (horizontally but don't lift it up) it toward the back of the computer
    -With the cover released remove the serice access cover by lifting straight up NOW that it has been released
    -Release the shielding or tape that covers the battery cable and connector it is sticky/glue on the underside
    -Disconnect the battery cable
    -Now the fans can be cleaned with compressed air from can in short burst only. Some hold fans from spinning with finger to
    prevent damage but not needed with new laptops

Reverse procedure to reinstall

5. gunny5821

gunny5821 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    According to HP's website (HP ENVY 17-3290el Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Support) the only drive installed on this unit was a 1TB SATA 5400 RPM HDD. No other drives are mentioned. The Maintenance Manual (http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03317166.pdf) does state that mSATA are an option, so you may want to open the back side of the laptop and see if there is an mSATA port available. You should also have 2 HDD bays on your laptop, wherein the 1st bay is a SATA III bay and the 2nd bay is a SATA II. Also if there is an mSATA port, it will be a SATA II port as well.. Hope this helped!

6. munnarg

munnarg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a 3270nr and the fan started making a loud whining noise about two months ago. Now whenever I boot up I get a warning telling my my fan isn't working and I should shut down the PC. This is the last product I'm ever buying from HP. Between the nonexistent driver support, ty quality control and faulty hardware I'm done. I was able to purchase a replace fan/ heatsink from China but now I'm left with the daunting task of taking this thing apart.

7. supercharged

supercharged Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi everyone just got a quick question about the display outputs

since the laptop has a widescreen lcd does it have any issues with connecting with a projector and displaying 1280x768 (4:3)?

I got a HDMI-vga adapter and connected it to my school's projector system. the school doesnt directly connect the desktop's vga output to the projector, instead it clones the output into the LCD (4:3) and the projector (4:3)

as a result, my hdmi-vga adapter is also connected the same way. somehow it detects the 2nd display as lumion or something and i can only display in 16:9 resolutions.

is this normal or have I got a faulty adapter?

8. maxlufter

maxlufter Newbie

Reputations:
    View attachment 110242 View attachment 110243 View attachment 110244 '''
    Hi everyone!
    I've faced a problem while assembling my envy 17 3090nr after cleaning the heating fan. The zif connector which connects the volume integrated dial cable to the motherboard (the one from the Beats button) came off. And now I don't know how to connect it back without microscope and super precise instruments... If anyone has an idea how do that - please help. Or at least I will appreciate if someone will just take a photo of an appropriate connection scheme - cause I don't remember in what direction zif connector should be positioned. It is only necessary to take off bottom black cover and this element will be visible. Thanks!

9. LTBonham

LTBonham Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry guys. I don't know about the projector issue, and the last time I had my envy opened up, the beats button on mine broke. I had to install a new mobo and I don't know if I broke it or if it came that way. Otherwise I would be happy to do it. Hopefully someone else has more info for you guys.

10. ana8lopez

ana8lopez Newbie

Reputations:
    How can I post pictures from my hard drive on this forum?