*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (3XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by justinkw1, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yankintx

yankintx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine now is the 18th. I can't understand how HP does business this way. No wonder their stock price is at 52 weeks lows, and on the way lower. When you call customer service, you are told that they know no more than I do because they are looking at the same information I am.
    I sure hope I'm not disappointed when I finally receive the laptop.

2. yankintx

Reputations:
    Tried the series 7 this week and it came with a screen lighting problem. On top of that, I did not like the build quality at all.

3. Starrbuck

Starrbuck Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This morning mine is still showing the 9th. I agree with what you are saying. I would like to allow them the benefit of the doubt, but I wish they were more forthcoming with information on more exactly what is causing the delays. Then that might give us some confidence in their new dates as well as causing us to be empathetic to them. If the issue is truly out of their control, it likely would not do any good to change vendors, for example.

I think when I finally get it, even if there are minor issues, I will keep it. It will be hard not to knowing it will be a few weeks more to get another custom machine the way I want it from HP or any other vendor, and the combination of the original coupon and additional 10% discount will make it a no-brainer cost-wise.

4. yankintx

Reputations:
    SO I go onto HP site and they have a envy 17 ready to quick ship with the exact same configuration as mine. I call and ask if they can send me that one and cancel my order which is still 2 weeks out. They gree to do so but then tell me the $488 coupon I used only applies to CTO or configure to order systems and not quick ship, even though the quick ship is the exact same configuration. I ask for a supervisor and they refused.
    Soooo. I said ok, hung up, ordered the quick ship for $1569, and I'll happily use it until my original ordered one shows up, and then I'll return the quick ship on HP's dime and get a full refund. I hate to do that, but I need a computer asap, and HP's service is so bad, I don't mind doing it to them. I'll simply clone or backup the drive on the quick ship, so that everything O put on it will then go right onto my new one in 3 weeks.

I am starting to think that they keep pushing the orders out if someone used a coupon, so that they can sell the quick ships at full price.

I almost went with the Asus n76 but I just read too many bad things about the track pad.

5. Starrbuck

Reputations:
    Quick ships were probably made weeks ago and have been in the supply line longer. As for why they won't apply the coupon, that is just their business decision. I have no problem with what you are doing since it is within the rules as they have them setup.

6. yankintx

Reputations:
    So today I received the quick ship unit that I ordered a few days ago. Haven't had too much time to spend with it but here are my first impressions. The unit looks fantastic. Fit and finish are good except for the keyboard which sags a bit around the left side near the d key. It seems like it dips in a bit and when I lay a ruler across it, the d and s keys are at least a millimeter below the ruler edge. It does have a considerable amount of flex when I press on it. It almost feels like the keyboard is not installed correctly. You can actually see a valley in this area. The other main issue is the trackpad. I'm used to a Mac and I wasn't expecting the trackpad to be great, but it is utterly useless when it comes to scrolling. All other trackpad features are just fine, but the scrolling just does not work correctly, or it works and then it just stops. WHen I powered the machine up for the first time it hung up on the Windows welcome screen for about 20 minutes. I restarted it and then it hung up on "personalizing settings for internet explorer". I had to restart it a half a dozen times in safe mode to finally get it fully started correctly. Once done, it ran ok. I have had it in several locations around my home right next to other computers, and the wifi is hit or miss. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not. WHat a disappointment. I really want to like this notebook, which has a superb sound system, but between the sagging keyboard and the almost useless touchpad and wifi issues, I am having difficulty in doing so. I absolutely need to run windows for my new business, and I didn't want to spend the extra money buying a Macbook Pro and then having to pay for and install windows on it, but I am starting to think it may go that way. I have another Envy 17 CTO that has been on order and it should ship by Oct 18th.
    I'll wait another 2 weeks for it, and I'll hope it is better than what I received today.

7. DruFaith

DruFaith Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Keyboard sounds a little weird....none of those things I notice on mine. I've not had a problem with the wifi either. Are you using the 2 finger scroll method? In the control panel under the mouse settings....there is a video on all the fingers ...when to use for what. I have had a few laptops and never had a touchpad with these options. I am really more of a mouse person myself.

Hopefully your other laptop will be fine and do the trick for ya :)

8. yankintx

Reputations:
    Today I received an HP Envy15t from the Microsoft store. It was $999, which was less than the HP store, and they overnighted it to me. I was so glad to receive it. I fired it up, and Microsoft removes all bloatware and tweaks the systems and calls it Microsoft signature. The laptop started much quicker than the 17 series I returned. Then the problems started. I have a dual band router and the laptop would only connect with the 5ghz band and not the 2.4ghz band, yet the other computers in the house had no problems. When I pressed the beats button, the control panel would not open up unless I pressed it many times. The battery cover sliding door was loose and rattled. I contacted microsoft and after 2 hours on the phone with their technician installing remote software on the machine and taking control of it, he stated the wireless adaptor was faulty and recommended me sending it back to them for replacement. I was shocked that 2 different HP's had wireless issues. I have it boxed up and ready to drop off at UPS store. Microsoft is overnighting me another unit today and they are paying for shipping, as well as issuing a complete refund for the faulty unit as well as shipping. This unit's keyboard was perfect, and the trackpad worked as it should as well. Not quite like a Mac, but good enough.
    SO tomorrow I take delivery of the 3rd unit, and I hope it is flawless. My gut feeling is that HP is lacking in quality control, but I really want to like the machine because it has great specs and looks great, but if this next one has issues, I'm done with HP and going back to a Mac with Windows running on bootcamp. I certainly hope everyone else here has better luck than I did.

9. Starrbuck

Reputations:
    My Envy 17t-3200 I ordered on 9/6 finally shipped today, 10/11, with an estimated arrival date is 10/17.

10. frankieo11

frankieo11 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, does anyone play World of Warcraft on the 2nd gen 17 3D? I cant play more than five minutes before everything coming to a stop and becoming choppy so much that I cant play. That goes for the graphics AND the audio. I have all the settings turned down. Amnyone have any suggestions? I hope mine isnt defective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.