*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (2XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 14, 2011.

1. blusea

blusea Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I have an HP ENVY 17 3d (2090nr) notebook with i7 2630 @ 2.00. Fan of the machine is making too much noise and I want to replace it. However, I couldn't find the recommended replacement part in the UK (630791-001). Any suggestions please.

2. dj045

dj045 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The fan is probably noisy because the thermal contact between the cpu and heatsink is not working efficiently, therefore the fan has to work harder to keep the laptop cool. Try refreshing the thermal paste that sits between the heatsink and cpu first before replacing the fan and see if this helps make it quieter.

3. blusea

blusea Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi dj045,
    Many thanks for the reply. I did it few months ago and the laptop worked fine for a month or so. But, I'll do it again and see it gets better this time. Can you please advice whether to 'spread' the thermal paste or just drop a blob and let it spread itself. I applied thermal paste via a spread method last time and the heat and noise problem didn't went away completely.

4. dj045

dj045 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    One tiny blob in the centre of the chip is enough, it will spread out by itself when you put the heatsink on. Its also worth buying the good artic silver paste

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

5. timesquaredesi

timesquaredesi MagicPeople VooDooPeople

Reputations:
    Hi internet friends. Anyone with a newer (2016-2017) Envy 17? What do you guys think of the model overall? I just ordered a high spec model - http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-17-ae151nr

I appreciate any replies, fam. thanks.

these are the important specs:
    CPU: i7-8550U
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForceMX150 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
    Display: 17.3" diagonal 4K IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit (3840 x 2160)
    Memory 16 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
    Hard drive: 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SS
    Wireless technology - Intel® 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo
    ports: usb 3 spec c, other regular usb3 ports, hdmi, etc. and a dvd burner drive for some reason ;)

6. timesquaredesi

timesquaredesi MagicPeople VooDooPeople

Reputations:
    So i got the unit yesterday... all i have to say is... IT IS A BEAST.

* 17.3" nice and bright display
    * feels like you have a 22" monitor sitting on your lap
    * from pushing power to being to desktop via windows hello/facial login = 10 seconds or so
    * it came with a 1tb SAMSUNG NVME m.2 SSD drive!!!!! this drive alone is $500 right now
    * surprisingly did not come with a TON of bloat ware... it's there but there is not a lot of it. I have to clean it up this weekend....
    * unfortunate hum from fans, bottom left of the keyboard gets warm but maybe bc the unit was updating itself...?

anyway, i absolutely love this machine so far. and i saved almost $3k but not getting a macbook pro with similar specs! i know you cant compare both machines but i am fine with having more $ in my pocket...

7. BCE

BCE Newbie

Reputations:
    So happy I discovered this thread. :)

timesquaredesi:

My story. I bought almost the exact notebook you did a couple of months ago. It was the HP Envy 17t Best Value. It has the identical components as yours except it has a 500 GB SSD drive. And it's $180 cheaper and was $230 and $250 cheaper in the last month. I ordered it originally on Oct. 19 and received it on Nov. 2, assembled and mailed from China. And it was great. All those things you are saying. HOWEVER, and it's a big HOWEVER. I read one of the first reviews and he mentioned, "Beautiful, fast laptop. Only one problem with mine: backlight bleed on all four sides, more pronounced in lower left corner." So I checked mine and it had the same issue. But it wasn't too bad. But I didn't want it to have issues, as it wasn't cheap, so I returned it and ordered a new one. But that one took more like 2 1/2 weeks to come. And that one had worse backlight bleed plus it had a broken display that would flash a white background with vertical black lines several times a minute. So I returned that one and they assured me they would contact the assembly people in China and that they would definitely inspect it for these problems before they shipped it to me. I was skeptical. I just received this second replacement a few hours ago and ....................... the backlight bleed is as bad as the second one plus the bleed isn't even just white but is reddish in spots. See image.
    https://ibb.co/mzN3X6

So I really love it other than that. I'm wondering if you checked for this issue or if you can please do that. Here's a backlight bleed test on YouTube. You'll see it best in a darkened room full screen.

And now I see two more reviews from the last couple of days which say, "Shipped with major defect” "The backlight bleed on my new laptop was so bad that it would obscure the display. How this made it past testing boggles the mind. I returned it" and "The 4K screen on these laptops has a known defect yet HP continues to ship them. The screen on my laptop began to flash randomly a few days after I received it. I searched for the issue on the web and found numerous people with the same problem, including videos which depicted identical circumstances."

Now it says it ships in one day so at least if I ordered a new one I wouldn't have to wait 2-3 weeks and I'd know right away if it's okay. I'll wait to hear from you and am anxious to hear if you have the same issues. Thanks.
    P.S. I think I'll get the 1920 x 1080 touch screen one which I checked on at Best Buy to see if there was any backlight bleed. There was some but it was very minimal. But I'll order it from HP as the Best Buy one only has 2GB dedicated video memory and I want 4GB, plus it has a SATA drive and I want an SSD drive. I'll mostly be using an external display so the reduction in resolution won't matter.

8. palatkik

palatkik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone got info on Spectre/Meltdown risk for this notebook? I tried the Win10 powershell script (ref https://www.howtogeek.com/338801/ho...-protected-against-meltdown-and-spectre/#menu) which suggests the BIOS will need an update and when/if it does the performance will be impacted. I suppose the chances of a new BIOS are next to zero so we are basically taking our chances from now on and no way to avoid this? What does anyone think please?