*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (2XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Mulo

Mulo Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone found a way to get 120hz? ^^ Also the link with the Voncrisp version of IDT doesn't work :\

2. palatkik

palatkik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OK, must be an environment thing. I am in SE Asia in high humidity and heat. I will avoid laptops with rubber in their design in future. I bought laptop from USA as this model wasn't available in SE Asia, probably for this reason. It's still going strong otherwise and happy for 5 years now with the Envy17.

3. islandlad

islandlad Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, just wondering whether anyone's managed to successfully upgrade RAM in a 2199el to 16GB. Is it even possible?

Thanks!

4. John97

John97 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I upgraded my 2090NR to 16GB even though HP says 8GB is max. Yours should be capable of doing the same, as it's basically the same machine.

It's been running that way for over four years. I just retired it last week as my primary machine and bought a desktop since I have a company-issued laptop.

I did a clean install of Win10 last night and will set it up for guests to use.

5. f_r_i_t_z

f_r_i_t_z Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm out from this forum for a long time..
    Let me put some news here about the envy 2xxx series.
    1- It's possible to change the AMD to the primary card when using the non Edp/3D notebook. ( The non 3D version use the muxed Pericom PI3LVD400, the 3d models doesn't have this. the Edp monitor is directly linked via VideoBios and maybe hardware)
    2- It's possible to use a 3 generation CPU in this notebooks ( 3D and non 3D, we need to change the intel vbios + cpu microcode, worked with a celerom 3 generation in my tests).
    3- It's possible to upgrade the MEMORY RAM from the AMD card to 2Gb (We need just change the memory from Hynix H5GQ1H24AFR-T0C to Hynix H5GQ2H24MFR-T0C 64*32 or 128*16 x 8. and change the R540, R530, R532, R528 from 0 0 0 1 to 0 0 1 1. YES, It works perfect.)
    The bad side?
    You need an external eprom burner and a lot of bios changes..

And YET something is wrong with the INTEL windows 10 driver. Working or not the 3D the monitor is fully exposed by the EDID the frequency of 120Hz and under windows we cant see this.. works perfect under linux.

6. islandlad

islandlad Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks John, the root of my issue turned out to be stubborn RAM seating after all :mad: Can confirm that 16GB is fine in a 2199EL.

John97 likes this.
  7. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you ever get anywhere with this? I think that IDT driver wasn't any good in the end. I have since tried creating a Frankenmod type driver since editing the INF was way too complex (so that it reflects the newest standards) I simply shoved all the files that could be overwritten from a much newer driver into our old driver (without changing the config file) and voila. It was working fine.

Am not even sure if I have this driver anymore and I fear that once I format this pup I will have to go on this journey of trying to sort out the IDT driver again.

Intel 120Hz only works if you disable and reenable the Intel card via device manager. Not sure about 3D.

8. Alf Tanner

Alf Tanner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    retired this laptop around a year ago. Ordered a 2860QM off the internet. Now its a dedicated home sever.

9. Alf Tanner

Reputations:
    well it will be once I've got the cooling dialed in. Anyone still around here?

10. Alf Tanner

Reputations:
    I'm wondering with the 2860qm if I can get 32gb since it supposedly supports it.