*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (2XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Alf Tanner

Alf Tanner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    gosh dang it. The windows update automatic bull$hit is messing with my envy bad. It auto installed a graphics card update and made my screen go black until I hooked to an external monitor and downgraded graphics card drivers.

This is like the update cycle of 2011(ish) all over again

2. Alf Tanner

Reputations:
    8GB is never enough IMO. I'd rather have 16 and give windowz more to play with. Is that a bad thought process? I think you should definitely do the 3 pipe cooler mod so I can have a recent guide to do mine after that.

I definitely want to keep this machine going for a few more years. It does a hell of a job running linux mint. Windows 10 is meh on it, really fast but very windows ish and heavy feeling.

3. Alf Tanner

Reputations:
    when I can find a 2860QM at the price point I want to I will definitely spring for that upgrade. This laptop still has a few years for me at this point left so hopefully it keeps up like it has been, especially now that its running a lot cooler.

4. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    $150 for the 2860QM isn't too bad considering you can sell the 2630QM on ebay for $60.

5. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Are you sure that your mobo /AMD card isn't shot?

I haven't seen any blackscreens ever since AMD started forcing dynamic switching with any driver past 14.4.

15.10 is working fine on Win 10 btw. We just released UnifL 15.10 with unlocked profiles and fixes etc.

6. palatkik

palatkik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone managed to get latest Win10 upgrades 11-Nov onwards OK? My ENVY 2280NR has just failed after latest update since running fine since initial release. Win10 said new updates ready to install inc some AMD driver, I let it continue then the computer now reboots with Windows icon and revolving circle into a blank screen and no way to continue.

How can I recover from this guys?? Help please...

7. palatkik

Reputations:
    It seems Win10 build 10240 is trying to install the AMD drivers (beta?) for a future release of Win10 build 10560 that it hasn't updated to yet? The newer AMD driver blanks out screen but will let an external screen run in duplicate mode (not extended). I will next try to install 10560 using the ISO download first and then switch Windows updates again to see if AMD works.

Really upset at MS about this waste of my time.

8. gga

gga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    On my Envy 17-2190ef, no problem with the Win10 build 1511 (10586.3).
    I use the 15.10 Beta UnifL drivers (not yet tested the 15.11).
    The only thing that I have noticed is that Microsoft has replaced the Intel driver during the update with the one from WU.
    But the AMD one is still the one from Leshcat and no problem so far.

9. palatkik

Reputations:
    Looking like update from 10240 to 10586 is a complete disaster for me if I want access to Windows Store. After initial recovery from AMD driver issue where screen blanked out during Windows update, I now have a running 10586 with latest AMD drivers but with no access to Windows Store or any modern apps - which are all blanked out on Start Menu. If I try a reinstall using MediaCreationToolx64 I end up with only option for a clean install and message "You can't keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps because your current version might be installed in an unsupported directory."

10. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A little off topic, but I didn't realize the windows update was basically a complete reinstall. I have a tablet set up to work with some external automotive diagnostic hardware. The update reset the software activation that I just payed for only three days earlier. It was a "one time" activation (based on some hardware/software ID hash) so now I have to pay to have it activated again. Not too happy with Microsoft right now. :/

I hope this type of update isn't a common trend.