*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (2XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 14, 2011.

1. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Haha, that site says the heatsink is "new", but if you look at the picture it is most definitely used. I would just get the one from the aliexpress link you posted.

The Gelid compound is similar to Arctic Silver 5 (8.5W/mK vs 8.9W/mK). I assume it's easy to spread like AC5. The Prolimatech PK-3 is 11.2W/mK. That's the highest thermal conductivity in a paste that there is. I don't know if an increase of 2W/mK is worth double the price though.

I managed to get it spread out well enough. The included plastic spreader is useless, I just used my finger and cleaned it really well first. If I did it again I would probably warm the CPU and compound up with hot air first. Never really tried the blob method; always worried I won't seat the heatsink evenly and it will just go to one side.

2. Bobmitch

Bobmitch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The only way is for someone to mod the bios file for the machine and give the user the opportunity to disable the Intel graphics card in the processor. Much like desktops give you the ability to disable it.

3. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That isn't the only way.

I am pursuing a lead on how to achieve this via drivers but also via DSDT / loader.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  4. Alf Tanner

Alf Tanner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @VonCrisp Here are my planned upgrades:

For the heatsink:

http://de.aliexpress.com/item/For-H...1-633852-001/1975505729.html?isOrigTitle=true

Will this fit to replace the optical drive?
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/430826/SilverStone_TS08_Optical_Drive_Caddy

And this for memory:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/...el_Laptop_Memory_Kit_(Two_8GB_Memory_Modules)

I finally did the thermal paste fix today, it's like a new laptop now, but that 3 pipe cooler looks a bit nicer.

Is the 2860QM processor the highest one we can put in these laptops?

I'm planning on upgrading my storage drive to a 2TB seagate 2.5" drive to go along with the 2nd SSD (for linux distros) going in the optical drive bay.

This is far from my main computer, but I had been using it even more sparingly recently as the thermal issues had gotten so bad. Now it's perfectly usable and I even was able to game on it and get decent frame rates. Previously it would thermal shutdown after a minute or less of gaming.

Order of upgrades:

1.Optical drive caddy to put another SSD in for Mint and Fedora
    2. Memory to 16GB because 8 just isnt enough
    3. Processor to 2860QM or higher + 3 heat pipe heatsink at the same time.
    4. AC1900 Mini-PCIe card whenever one comes out, or the ac1200 one I can get off the shelf now. Has anybody used the intel AC mini pcie wireless card?

VonCrisp likes this.
  5. h8isgr8

Reputations:
    CORSAIR Vengeance CMSX16GX3M2B1600C9 is another option; it's what I have. They will both perform exactly the same but the Corsair is $5 cheaper. Hey, $5 is $5... lol.

It's the fastest 45W Sandy Bridge i7. The 2960XM is marginally faster but it's not worth the extra 10W of heat and it's currently double the price of the 2860QM ($150 vs $300).

6. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Awesome! Am glad you are running cooler now and are putting this laptop into "legacy" status.
    It still is a fairly good machine.

Love the Drive Caddy idea. I do not think that the BIOS has any blacklist.

I still haven't ordered that 3 pipe cooler but now that my UK keyboard has arrived I will gradually do the same as you minus the drive Caddy.

8GB isn't enough? : O

7. h8isgr8

Reputations:
    I have page file turned off and I can easily go past 6GB of memory usage, so 16GB gives me a nice comfort zone.

8. ApexShift

ApexShift Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All,

I'm sure I might get attacked and told to use the search key, but I'may looking for advice. I have read through a number of posts, but can't tell if it's now outdated or right.

Love this laptop (17t-2100 CTO) and got it for a steal right before leaving my job at HP. I still use this as my design laptop for my Adobe products. It's been super slow for sometime and like the previous poster, I have 8GB of RAM, but that quickly gets taken just with Photoshop or Lightroom and one program. I only have 1 HDD and no SSD.

Questions:
    - Does putting a SSD for OS and program info really make a difference? What would that cost? I just found our HDD hardware kit for $50 and that's without the SSD. Can we only have the 160GB initially for it and I saw a HDD caddy that may let us use other drives?

- Memory - I remember thinking that 8GB was our max. Can we go up to 16GB or is that only with a model besides mine? I saw the RAM suggestions above, so I'm good going with that if I'm allowed.

- Lastly, I've had so many issues with the USB drives (which I know are an issue). I researched the hell out of it years ago and think I found the issue here with the Renesis (or something like that) drivers. Does anyone have the link to the right drivers again so I can try and fix one of the ports that won't work?

Thanks,
    James

9. h8isgr8

Reputations:
    Hi James,

Yes, photo editing can take up a lot of RAM, especially when working with large HD images. If you think you need 16GB then go ahead and upgrade. A minor caveat there is that maybe there was an early BIOS version that only supported 8GB, so just make sure you're on the newest/last version. I would suggest upgrading to the modded F.1C BIOS if you want full control of your system.

You can install any SSD you want. I have a bias toward Intel for their reliability (530 series is excellent performance vs cost), but Samsung's have a good reputation as well. It sucks the secondary HDD hardware kit costs so much though. I was lucky enough to get one from a member here for like $27 a few years ago.

I've never experienced any problems with USB. Are you having trouble with the USB 2.0 ports on the right hand side or the 3.0 port on the left? For the Renesis 3.0 controller I have driver version 2.1.28.0.

10. ApexShift

ApexShift Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks h8isgr8! This is exactly the info I was looking for.

I will upgrade the bios before upgrading RAM, since I think that was the reason. Hopefully this will be all that is needed to make it usable.

Also, good to know it's any SSD. I would hate to be limited to a small size.

Lastly, it's the 3.0 and I will try the driver you use first. It's really just more annoying than anything.

This is a great machine and I knew she still had life in her. I would hate to stop using it just due to RAM limitations or something similar.

Thanks,
    James