*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (2XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Bobmitch

Bobmitch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have often thought about replacing mine with a newer model. The Envy 173D is still a marvel of hardware. Granted...HP has done a lousy job with software updates (especially video drivers), but this machine is still powerful enough to go toe to toe with even the newest models. One of the best pieces of hardware I have ever owned. The design was a thing of beauty. That is why I can't part with it.

2. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    19/10/2010
    These came with Win 10 it seems.

Sorry for the late reply.

The Intel and ATI drivers also came from WU and are the same as yours. I also mod in extra things such as Software Application Unlock.. this and other mods find their way into the UnifL driver packs.

It still is a nice device. The screen especially. It is very hard to move away from the 120Hz. The worst aspect of this laptop is that it only has one fan and a really bad keyboard. The D key on my 4th keyboard has a bad contact it seems.

I wish we could just replace the mobo but keep the screen.

3. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can't part with mine because I can still feel the sting of the $1600 I paid even after 4 years. :eek:

Installing that dual heatsink fan unit was one for the best things I ever did for this laptop. Handles a 2860QM and overclocked 6850 with ease. With the original fan/heatsink the laptop would shut down if I overclocked and that was when I had the 2630QM.

I'm still on the original keyboard, though my WASD keys are slightly mushy from gaming. I don't do much typing other than forum posts so I'm sure that has something to do with its longevity.

The 2860QM and 16GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM should keep this thing in the game for at least a couple more years. I was thinking about getting another SSD and setting up RAID, but RAID + SSD scares me a little since I'm horrible about maintaining backups.

Have you ever considered experimenting with an eGPU setup? I'm thinking about trying it out. The adapter is only $50 (EXP GDC Beast) and I was thinking I would just get a low end used video card off ebay to try out before spending a couple hundred on a decent one. I'm fairly sure that it would work, but I would want to use it with the laptop display and I don't know how the switchable graphics would affect that.

4. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    I recall that mod! The work your put into that setup was impressive.

There isn't much gaming I do these days, mostly typing stuff but the keyboards might just be of low quality for this European region.

I looked into eGPUs before. There is a software that can "remove" the internal dGPU and "inject" an eGPU in its place. It is available over on the techinferno forums. I haven't tried it.

You can keep it in a switchable config where your eGPU acts just like your dGPU. However using the internal screen you take some kind of performance loss.

Using Nvidia is suggested since the Optimus tech (dynamic switching) can carry more bandwidth over the mPCIe due to its compression. (From what I recall)

This is just from the top of my head. That forum is a really good place for that info.

I am excited for those Intel skylake platforms that are coming out. From what I understand they natively support eGPUs now via the USB-C ports / thunderbolt.

5. politovi

politovi Newbie

Reputations:
    VonCrisp, is there anyway to use 3D (wath films etc) on Envy 17-2101er, running Windows 10?

ps sorry for my bad English(

6. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    Unfortunately not. Maybe at some point in the future we might be able to "hide" the Intel card from win but I haven't figured out how yet.

In other matters!

Has anyone here ordered a keyboard / spare parts from alibaba/ aliexpress ?

My 4th keyboard decided it would be fun to break down.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  7. h8isgr8

Reputations:
    No, but there's quite a few on ebay for around 30USD. I'm probably going to order one soon.

Which version do you need?

8. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    Am looking for a German QWERTZ layout. I searched all the internets .. every nook and cranny. The lowest price for a german layout was 95 Euros. Normal price 125 Euros. Keyboard lost a few more keys in the process .. nope .. not passive aggression. Looks like some evil HP engineer devised some cruel plan to make things break all at once...

I pretty much wrote to every Chinese seller. Surprisingly most replied! Loads of keyboards go from as little as 10$ (without shipping or taxation costs) on Alibaba. However shipping take likes 2 months.

In the end I went for a UK keyboard since I am used to those too (they also have a big enter button unlike the US layout). It hasn't arrived and the RoyalMail might have lost it since they haven't updated their tracking in 4 days.

I want to isolate the WASD keys from the heat that builbs up underneath the keyboard. It seems to affect the contacts .. gradually wearing them out.

Maybe some kind of tinfoil wrapped in a plastic sheet type to redirect the heat?

At the same time I was thinking of replacing the heatsink as per your fine example with an Envy 17 1xxx 3 pipe sink.

Would this be the right one?

http://de.aliexpress.com/item/For-H...1-633852-001/1975505729.html?isOrigTitle=true

I lost the D key permanently. The tit is gone. The contact underneath seems fried or worn out.
    The V key is awol. Tit remains - working.
    B lost a tooth and is barely hanging on.
    M likes to pop out when approached from the wrong angle.

Whoever designed this pos ... : D

9. h8isgr8

Reputations:
    Wow, you're right, that keyboard is extremely difficult to find at a reasonable price. :/

I don't have much heat in that area any more since putting in the new heatsink. Copper tape would probably be the best thing to use depending on how easily you can get some. Second best would be aluminum tape which you can find at almost any hardware store that sells plumbing supplies.

That has a different part (revision?) number than the one I ordered, but it appears to be the exact same thing. Mine is 3XSP8TATP30. At least the one you posted is new, all of the 3XSP8TATP30 I can find are used.

I used Prolima Tech PK-3 thermal compound and it seems to be doing the job quite well. Kind of a pain to work with though; it's extremely thick and doesn't spread easily.

10. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    Yeah essentially I want to change the heatsink because of the heating. (Even if it is minimal & takes a year to develop)

Sharp eyes on the part number! Indeed most of the new heatsinks come from only one place .. which is china / asia general.

http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/88-67655-18756/Forcecon-DFB552005M30T-Cooling-Fan-.html

This also seems like new!

Thanks for the tip on the compound. Did you spread it out evenly or just a blob in the middle and pushing on the heatsink?

Someone here mentioned Gelid http://gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=1&cid=3&id=42 .

I guess I got to go to the DIY store to look for some copper tape : D. The only thing I am worried about is that it might somehow affect the mobo. I will need to make sure that it is anti static.