*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (2XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 14, 2011.

1. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There are two graphics related issues for us 3D owners...

1) Scaling is atrocious on the 1920x1080 display and requires a 3rd party fix.
    2) 120Hz refresh rate is not possible unless a specific (and old) Intel driver is used.

2. gga

gga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes I was comparing dynamic switching drivers under Win 7 and Win 10.
    And I was comparing it at idle time with no apps open.
    But I have partially solved the problem with another clean install.
    There is still a little difference between 7 and 10, but under windows 7, Coolsense was installed with its throttling capacities. I think it must be linked.

But I have a new problem with the Synpatics driver that I didn't have with the last Insider releases.
    First, it's not really a problem, but the control pannel has been reverted back to the old style.
    And the real problem for me, the 1 finger scrolling no longer works on the final release with the current driver.
    Someone can confirm that?

3. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is actually false as I found out after writing to you on leshcatlabs.

After I triggered 120Hz via the "card on/off" trick in device manager, (I cannot recall if it was the AMD card or Intel) neither can I recall if I changed it to 120Hz in the Intel Control Panel or via Windows.

But it stuck and I am getting 120Hz on every boot with the official WU drivers. I have done no mods as I am trialing these WU drivers but I will be playing with EnableULPS next.

Am not a big fan of Coolsense ; ).

I just enabled 1 finger scrolling and it doesn't seem to work.

Control Panel has indeed reverted to the old style but that has enabled me to use the top left touchpad on/off button again.

Am using 2 Finger scrolling. I had to adjust the scrolling in the System Settings. It isn't as smooth a I would like but I guess this will improve with newer drivers.

4. h8isgr8

Reputations:
    That's good news. When I get the time I'll put the W10 SSD back in and see if I can get it to work.

Have you noticed on W10 that tray icon settings don't stick? Synaptics, AMD, and Intel all keep coming back after a restart even though I disable the tray icon in their respective settings.

Uninstalled it the day I got the laptop. :eek:

5. palatkik

palatkik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I only have the Win10 64 Home which was the upgrade from the original HP provided Win7 Sp1 64 Home. I find that if one uses the local account option rather than the online Outlook account login then privacy is much the same as in Win7? Or perhaps I am missing some things under the hood?

6. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    Haven't really fiddled with tray icons. If this is a windows bug then it will probably be fixed at some point.

Coolsense:

[​IMG]

Honestly the whole Windows 7 HP Home Premium edition had to be formatted just because it kept reinstalling those damn old Intel drivers after every single clean with DDU.

God knows how annoying this issue is as it generated a blackscreen upon switching / booting if that HP Intel driver showed up without an invite.

7. h8isgr8

Reputations:
    Ok, it does give me 120Hz if I disable/enable intel in device manager, but it's not sticking on restart. :/

I think I need to do another clean install of 10 already with everything I've installed and uninstalled in the last two days... lol.

8. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    After a few restarts it went back to 60Hz for me again! .. Grrr. I guess the TotalDTD /DTD dwords have to be messed with.

Try to refresh Win 10 .. it also works pretty well!

9. jd88ch

jd88ch Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone here makes a clean install with windows 10 on HP ENVY 17 3D sandy bridge? If yes, how?

Thanks in advance.

10. h8isgr8

Reputations:
    The same way you do it on any other PC. Upgrade using either the media creation tool or windows 10 .iso. After windows upgrades and activates, use the same media to do a clean install.