*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (2XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 14, 2011.

1. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Didn't I just answer that? : P

Read the last 2-3 pages for good real life example of why a clean install is useful.

2. Acidblast

Acidblast Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Like @VonCrisp said a clean install is always the best install.

3. palatkik

palatkik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have noticed on occasion excessive fan noise and checked CPU usage to note Windows 10 photos background taskhost was hogging the machine. No idea what it does but I cancelled process with task manager and laptop cools again. A few discussions on MS boards about it, but not sure if resolved yet?

4. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The photoapp seems bugged and crashed for me a few times.

Use the Store to update the Apps. There is a newer version out but I am still not too happy with it.

You can use this regedit to restore the old win32 application if you do not like the new app.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Change Extension's File Type
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpg]
    @="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpeg]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.gif]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.png]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.bmp]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.tiff]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.ico]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  5. Bobmitch

Bobmitch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    OK everyone...question for you. Who has upgraded to Windows 10 and what is the status of "Switchable graphics" with the final release? I keep getting bugged my Microsoft to upgrade my Envy...but frankly...I don't want to unless I am certain that graphics drivers won't tank my machine. Way too much valuable business info and programs on this machine to take the chance and fail. I was never able to get switchable graphics to fly with Windows 8 / 8.1 so I am not encouraged. HP has done a lousy job of driver releases for one of the best machines it has ever created. Hardwarewise, this machine still holds up well against the new generation. Softwarewise...it's a bust!

6. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Manual switching is long dead; dynamic only now. Not a bad thing really, I've gotten used to it and performance seems about the same.

I spent all day today messing around with Windows 10 on my envy. Put in a spare SSD and upgraded to W10 Pro and then did a clean install. Everything works fine after getting it tuned (and disabling half the damn OS).

I'm not sold on W10 though, it seems like an incomplete product that was rushed to market. Too many cons and very few pros. I really can't think of a single reason why I should use it so I'm staying on 7 for now. This machine + W7 is a rock solid beast.

At least I got my free activation out of the way. I'll give it another chance in 6-12 months and see if they make any improvements.

7. Bobmitch

Bobmitch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Microsoft is giving away the OS, but at what cost? There are so many issues with privacy and "hidden" settings that basically give MS a ton of information about the user. The only machine I have upgraded at this point, is my Dell Venue Pro 11 tablet. It's off most of the time. My Envy 17 3D is still strong with Windows 7, and I actually cancelled the upgrade...Funny...cancel it and now Windows update nags me that the upgrade is ready. So I have put it under hidden updates...Not gonna chance the laptop going south...

8. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's why I would only suggest upgrading to the pro version, it gives you more control over the system with access to the group policy editor. You can block or turn off the majority of windows spyware and by only using a local account I feel it's possible to get a fairly "anonymous" OS out of it.

If you copy the below text into a .bat file it will remove most of the unwanted updates on your 7 install and get rid of the Windows 10 upgrade bot. I would run the .bat, restart, and then run it again just to make sure. Make sure to uncheck recommended updates in windows update settings or they will install again.

@echo off
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3050265 /quite /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /quite /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /quite /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664 /quite /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3065987 /quite /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3075851 /quite /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /quite /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3021917 /quite /norestart
    END

9. palatkik

Reputations:
    I was not sure what you meant by update the app in store, as it is part of Win10 o/s and not available in store to update?

I eventually did nothing and the CPU overdrive went away by itself after about 4-5 days of boot ups. I suppose Win10 was cataloging my mass of photos for its photo app and has now finished. It would have polite for it to explain things instead of hogging 45% of my CPU each morning but all is forgiven.

10. palatkik

Reputations:
    I have the 2D model and was worried about the upgrade. Indeed MS never offered me an upgrade in Win7 taskbar and the GWX.exe whilst in a Win7 folder never did anything. But I wanted to test compatibility so I tried on another hard disc first and was so pleased with everything working I did the upgrade manually on my existing Win7 SP1 64 Home install and everything inc Win7 programs, desktop and data transferred without issue in under an hour. There is an option to revert back to Win7 within a month in settings but I will never take it. The AMD drivers which Win10 gets for you seem to run much better for me but I am not a gamer rather use them for graphics on mapping and 3D mapping software and find the AMD runs with Intel graphics without many issues. I was using GPU-Z app to see how each graphics was getting used. The HP runs cool and uses the AMD just when needed it seems but I am not an expert so perhaps others have different opinion.

That said I'm very pleased with Win10 from Win7 (never used Win8 ever) and my HP Envy 2280NR feels like a new laptop again.