*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (2XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 14, 2011.

1. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good to hear!

I would personally advise on a reset like Acidblast did after his upgrade as it helped with performance.

2D vs 3D doesn't make much of a difference as AMD's dynamic switching doesn't allow 3D movies. Only fixed switching can do 3D. (Unless Fritz comes back and helps me hide Intel on an ACPI level!)

The only advantage left is the 120Hz display.. which is enough I guess.

2. Acidblast

Acidblast Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    on average how long does it take you guys to boot into win 10 from a cold start? I just timed it and it takes me 45 sec before the system tray icons are all ready to go. I have a clean install and only have chrome and skype installed. How can I speed up the startup?

3. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    It takes about the same time on a spinner (normal HDD).

Part of the reason is the AMD driver. You would be astonished with the boot times if you didn't have AMD installed.

You can try setting "EnableULPS" to 0 to see if it improves the bootspeed.

Am going to look into this for the next AMD release.

4. Dasherman

Dasherman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So would you guys recommend I update to W10 already from W7? Does the secondary HDD slot work already? Because I need it. Also, does dynamic switching work properly for gaming (if there's indeed no way to get it to have fixed switching)? Can't I install the driver on the HP site to get fixed switching? Is dynamic switching able to switch quickly (without me noticing, preferably) and is it efficient when it comes to battery? What about the audio? Does the subwoofer work already? Sorry for the flood of questions, but I'm wondering whether updating is useful for me.

Anything else that doesn't work yet, but did work on W7?

5. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    I would recommend an upgrade and afterwards (once the machine registers for the free win licence with MS) I would reinstall from a clean ISO. Especially if you have Windows 7 HP edition.

All other questions have already been answered multiple times.

No more fixed switching since anything newer than Catalyst 14.4. Win 10 doesn't support old fixed switching drivers.

6. Dasherman

Reputations:
    I don't have the HP version of W7, I did a clean install. Should I still go through the hassle of doing a clean install? What are the benefits? Because I'd have to reinstall all my programs and get my settings back right.

7. thoreaulylazy

thoreaulylazy Newbie

Reputations:
    What's the difference between the HP version of W7 and a clean install of W7?

8. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    You need to upgrade your legit copy of Win 7 to Win 10 before doing anything so that the MS servers register your device for a free Win 10 license.

Clean install - benefits are that there won't be any residuals that can interfere with the stability and performance of Windows.

The HP version is filled with software that might cause issues on Windows 10.

9. Acidblast

Acidblast Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Actually this wasn't Hp Quick launch as mentioned. The missing driver came from "Hp mobile data protection sensor". I'm not exactly sure what the driver was. I just pointed windows to check my 'swsetup' directory which I backed up. Hope that helps.

10. Dasherman

Reputations:
    My W7 is legitimate, since I just used the key that HP gave me. Would a clean install of W10 be useful then, even without all that HP software?