*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (2XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 14, 2011.

1. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have you tried installing the Win7 Synaptics driver to see if it fixes the problem?

I'm still undecided on whether I want to put Win10 on this laptop or not. Win7 is still perfectly fine for my needs and the only reason I would go to Win10 is for better gaming support for games like GTAV (once all of the related bugs and problems are worked out).

The laptop is running fantastic as is right now with the UnifL 14.12 video drivers. I don't miss fixed switching at all now. With the 2860QM set at 99% in the power settings (disables Turbo) and the 6850M overclocked 700/1200 I can game all day with no heating problems. CS:GO runs perfect at 1920x1080 max settings.

If I can get another 2 years out of this machine I'll be happy.

2. gtharea

gtharea Newbie

Reputations:
    Are you able to overclock and use 120hz? If I reset the intel gfx to re-enable 120hz, afterburner doesnt let me change clocks.

3. Alf Tanner

Alf Tanner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When win10 comes out, what should the graphics in the bios be set to as far as muxed/muxless/switching etc

4. palatkik

palatkik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've never got the Win10 icon show on my Win7 task bar for upgrade option, but I installed Win10 build 10130 Insider Prev using a new install/hard disc boot ISO from USB and from what I see vs previous Win 10 build now everything seems to work. The switchable graphics works, Win10 automatically downloaded AMD drivers 15.2+ without me asking and they just work - with automatic switching depending on which software is being run (something Win7 didn't do - at least mine didn't - it was on or off for all software). The synaptic s mouse works, as does the on/off light. Sound works using the original Beats / IDT drivers. The device manager shows no driver conflicts and all working.

I am very keen to upgrade now, should I wait for a later build or will this one be good to go?

5. h8isgr8

Reputations:
    Yes, 120Hz and overclocking has always worked for me. The catch is that with the UnifL 14.12 drivers I'm using the .2993 Intel driver from 14.4. That is the only driver that has let me keep 120Hz, any newer drivers only show 60Hz in the options.

6. gtharea

gtharea Newbie

Reputations:
    Does 120hz work with the windows update drivers?

You should stay with this build if you are able to upgrade to the final version in the future without losing settings.. otherwise I would wait for final build.

7. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Running Build 10159.

Running well .. minimal issues.

2 Drivers missing after install: HP Wireless Key i.e. the silly light on the button (driver available online) HP 3D Drive Guard (driver available online)

IDT needs the Beats driver else it only uses the 2 speakers without the sub.

AMD + Intel MS provided driver works fine. It is obviously dynamic switching as fixed switching doesn't exist anymore. 120Hz is available when you reset the Intel adapter and pick 120Hz.
    App profiles are locked as they normally are with AMD drivers. Will unlock it at some point and release via leshcatlabs.net
    Note: I have not tried 14.4 (last fixed switching driver) on this build. However on the previous Builds it did not work and I am not expecting it to ever work again.

Current Synaptics driver does not allow 2 Finger Scrolling in all XAML based apps. This includes the Start Menu. This is the biggest issue I currently face.

Chances are that it will be fixed prior to release since scrolling (more or less) worked with the last preview build.

8. palatkik

palatkik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    With build 10130 I found the Wireless light on the key to be working OK.

Additionally I found the Synaptics driver recognized my two finger actions, albeit I am not clear on what XAML apps are referred to above.

9. Alf Tanner

Alf Tanner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My 2090 3d is still rockin along, with upgraded memory and SSD.

Have there been any more unlocked BIOSes that came out which allow UEFI boot? I'm on 2111 rev 3.5 F.1C right now.

10. h8isgr8

Reputations:
    Not that I know of. Not sure it's even possible. UEFI is rather large compared to a traditional BIOS, so there might not even be room for it in the ROM.