*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (2XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 14, 2011.

1. emilios1310

emilios1310 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I disabled the PowerPlay feature from the Catalyst Control Center and my card does not overheat anymore. Although there is a decrease in the graphics power which has been bugging me a little.

Instead of 575MHz/900MHz my card now works at 300MHz/700MHz when I fire up a game according to MSI Afterburner.

I have tried to overclock it but the clocks are overwrited by Afterburner. What can I do to maximize performance again? I can't enable PowerPlay again because if I do, the card overheats when I play a game.

2. wmurch3

wmurch3 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  3. Marty--McFly

Marty--McFly Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been having some heating issues with my laptop lately. I finally decided to take a look under the hood to see if there was something I could do about it. I wrote a blog post of my findings if anyone's interested in reading it.

HP ENVY 17 3D 2nd Gen Poor Design

4. xZ71

xZ71 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Didn't you also notice that the manual says thermal pad are used on gpu whereas yours got thermal paste. I know paste is generally better but you get the point.

5. Alf Tanner

Alf Tanner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    okay, will a 90 watt adapter work for these envy 17s?

6. Bobmitch

Bobmitch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you intend to run only Intel graphics...maybe! If you use the AMD 6850, then make sure to get the PSU from HP and it will have to be 120 W. A lot of people use the 90 for travel only...and run the Intel graphics while plugged in. The machine really requires 120W

7. Alf Tanner

Reputations:
    yeah, I figured that out while at micro center. With the AMD graphics enabled the lesser adapter clocked the PC down to 780mhz and without the AMD graphics enabled it cloced down to 1880mhz

8. Alf Tanner

Reputations:
    Anyone gotten switchable graphics to work in windows 8 release preview?

9. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi guys need a bit of advice, i might buy a envy 17 ! but i don't want the model with the overheating issues. Can somebody clear up for me if the model i have listed below has the cooling system sorted apparently its only 4 months old, kind regards Ryan
    HP Envy 17-2001ea 17.3
    17.3 inch HP Ultra BrightView Infinity (frameless) display with High Definition + resolution (1600 x 900)!!!
    8GB RAM DDR3!!! 1000GB SATA Hard Drive (7200rpm)!!!
    2.0GHz Intel Quad Core i7-2630QM Processor - 6MB L3 Cache!!!
    ATI Radeon HD6850 graphic card!!! 1GB DDR5 dedicated graphic memory!!!
    Beats Sound System with Subwoofer by Dr. Dre!!! Blu-Ray drive with DVD Dual Layer writer!!!
    Built-in 5 in 1 Memory Card Reader!!! Island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad!!!
    Built-in Bluetooth!!! WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n!!!
    1 x USB 3.0 and 3 x USB 2.0 ports! HDMI, Mini Display, eSATA, Gigabit Ethernet and VGA ports!!!
    Built-in TrueVision HD Low-Light WebCam and Microphone!!!
    QWERTY English International US keyboard layout!!!
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit!!!

10. 7words

7words Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No issues here, I exchanged the Core i5 2410m with a Core i7 2670QM in my envy 17-2110 and no issues at all (with the Core i5 cooling system), the left palmrest is a little warmer, but the temperatures are still unter 90C with Prime95.