*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (2XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Bobmitch

Bobmitch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Let the system totally cool down. Then blow compressed air into the vents. DO NOT blow compressed air into a hot machine...can crack the heatpipe or hurt the CPU. Only cold.

Are you using the stock HP video drivers?

2. pmøller

pmøller Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will need to go buy some compressed air then, and i am not sure what version i have for the video drivers :)

3. Bobmitch

Reputations:
    Also make sure that when you are gaming...NOTHING gets in the way of the intake port underneath the machine. I have the six cell battery, and unfortunately the machine is flush to my desk. I have to actually put the laptop in my lap to keep it cool. If I don't raise the machine so that the intake can take the air in without obstruction...you will see hotter temps and possible throttling.

4. pmøller

pmøller Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I always out a book under it so the intake isnt blocked :) but thank you so much so far :D it is very nice that you want to help :)

5. palatkik

palatkik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  6. Bobmitch

Reputations:
    The ones from the product page DO work. I thought you meant these:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-...v7-6xxx-envy-14-2xxx-envy-17-2xxx-intel.html#

The ones on the notebookreview.com update page are not good. The ones directly from HP are fine.

7. 7words

7words Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I received my refurbished HP Envy 17-2110 two days ago, there was BIOS F1B on it, does anybody know something about the changelog?

Btw. nice machine, my 6850-GPU can be overclocked to 750/1170 Mhz, the results in 3DMark06 with the stock i5 2410m and Catalyst 12.4: 14314 3DMarks
    http://3dmark.com/3dm06/16682636;jsessionid=1pxhwgmje5cgn11tzil6srop6b

Attached Files:

• f1b.png
      f1b.png
      File size:
      9.5 KB
      Views:
  8. palatkik

palatkik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  9. wmurch3

wmurch3 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Experiencing some general craziness lately with my rig. Went to play Mass Effect 2 demo and it overheated. I have never had it do that. Since then I have been unable to switch off the discrete graphics card and catalyst control center doesn't open. Also, my CPU is hitting at 100% when I boot for like 15 minutes. The fans are good with no blockage and I disabled some auto-start apps but it still does it. I actually had an issue a long time ago with the CPU hitting at 100% for no apparant reason. Checked task manager and nothing out of the ordinary.

I figure this has something to do with my graphics card. I'm going to try installing the update from HP but I'm a bit apprehensive since the last time i tried it made my display completely black and I had to roll-back.

Crossing my fingers...

10. Bobmitch

Reputations:
    Make sure to use the drivers from the machine product page:

Software & Driver Downloads HP ENVY 17t-2100 CTO 3D Edition Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

They models are pretty much all the same, so choose the graphics one here and you should be good