*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (2XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new_vaio_F

new_vaio_F Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Definitely something wrong, maybe driver issue. I have Envy 14, and my score is higher with i5. (3038 PCMarks)

Result

How about the score for PCMark 7?

I agree! Fresh install is the way to go if you wanted envy that running rock solid!

2. fish1203

fish1203 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Going on with further info.

Just as a comparison price I got my Envy 17-2000ef for 1,139 € here which is about $1,660, without any coupon as we cannot use them here... (note that I didn't get my Envy directly from HP)

I would also add that I noticed something strange yesterday: When starting the laptop for the first time and looking closely at the screen (especially in dark areas of the display) it was all like "fuzzing", just like electrowaves were flowing all over the screen and the pixels were "moving" all the time. It was very noticeable when I started the HP Support tool.

Don't know what may have caused this and it didn't look like it was going away. But after I installed the BIOS v F.15 and rebooted... gone !! No more fuzzy feeling, display is steady now! So if anyone had a close look at their screen and noticed something similar... Not sure where it came from though.

3. usafpj

usafpj Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It is because you have an SSD. My scores are better in everything except the storage tests. I will run it again when I install my SSD and I'm sure it will be more impressive.

4. emish89

emish89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi guys!
    what is the driver for the backlight in the keyboard and for the hotkeys for my envy 17 2090el ? thanks

5. aays06

aays06 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Laptop shipped today should arrive Tuesday via 2 day fedex. Hopefully this one unlike my last is a keeper. If not maybe updated ssd will be available and I will get a good deal.

6. Killa Joe

Killa Joe Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is very weird. The dv7tqe has the SSD as an option!!!
    Yet, the Envy 17 3D does not. :confused: I just used HP chat and the lady did not have information about future SSD updates. She just told me see the newsletter about product updates/news.

KJ :cool:

7. fish1203

fish1203 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Back again, continuing to configure my Envy.

The SSD is slower than expected (or is it just my feeling?). I applied the optimization advices I could gather here and there though. Will run a small benchmark soon I guess.

If anyone interested I have quite some news (saw it nowhere yet). If you want to get back Photoshop / Premiere with their working serial after a clean or a minimal system recover install:

You might wanna look in the SwSetup\ folder from the original C:\ drive (provided you saved it somewhere). Install the Photoshop / Premiere Elements 9 from there, and then check out the following files to get your actual working serials:

Photoshop : C:\SwSetup\PhotoPIN\AdobePSE9.cva

Premiere : C:\SwSetup\AdobePE\AdobePremiere9.cva

Open the files with notepad and check the line starting with
    Code:
    SilentInstall=
    It will contain a serial number. That's the stuff!

Launch the apps and enter the serials you got when prompted. Et voilà! :D

8. samk0814

samk0814 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you use a coupon? I too saw the 2 day free shipping for envy 17 quickship, but the price is a bit high for me at the moment.

On a broader topic, do any of you good folks know the number to call if i want a discount?

9. Bobmitch

Bobmitch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I find it very odd as well that the Envy is without SSD. Odd part is that the SSD available on the Pavillion is even bigger...

10. Killa Joe

Killa Joe Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok, to start the weekend off right, I'm going to download and run Crimsoned's Throttle test to see what this here Envy can do.... (pleae no throttle, please no throttle... :p ) Will check back afterwards...

KJ :cool: