*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (2XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cam121

cam121 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm coming into this a little late, but based on what I recall, I think you have several issues which we might not be able to deal with.

1. If you perform the restore and the only problem is the "OS not found" error, then the raid fix document floating around will work fine. Even though we reference it as a raid fix document, it came about because a bunch of us were disabling raid when HP erroneously raid'ed the SSD to the HDD in a dual drive system. The actual fix involving FIXMBR and FIXBOOT switches has NOTHING to do with RAID technology. Personally the need to do this is a flaw of the HP restore process and only a code fix will ever resolve it. However, the fix to re-enable your boot-up from this issue is relatively simple. Even if you can't get the HP restore disk to give you the option to repair the HDD, you can easily download a windows 7 ISO and burn a normal copy of the DVD to use for recovery purposes.

2. If the recovery freezes at some percentage during the restore, this is most likely a problem with either the software or hardware that cannot be resolved by anybody here.

3. The relative size of the disk shouldn't matter when restoring as long as you don't put in a small SSD (like 40-60GB might be pushing it). I restored my original "320GB' system to a single 160GB SSD and other than the OS not found issue, it worked fine using the recovery DVD's I made from the laptop when it first arrived. As for disks HP sent you, I can only imagine that they sent you the right disks for your model. Chances are high that you can't use a Pavilion DV7 disk on an Envy 17 without running into problems.

Good luck

2. Bobmitch

Bobmitch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I agree with Cam121...use the RAID guide and it will fix your Master Boot Record (MBR). Sending your machine back to HP for repair could be asking for trouble. Try using your own recovery disks...If you have a copy of Windows 7, use that and get yourself to a recovery console. If you have another machine with Win7 on it...use the utility to create a repair disk...that might also work for you...

3. dlleno

dlleno Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    btw, even if one is not familiar with command-line prompts (or DOS for those old enough to admit it), don't let this guide scare you. its basically very simple;

1. find a way to load enough of the OS via the optical drive so you can get to the commmand line shell prompt, which looks like this: "c:>"

2. manually execute two commands to repair the master boot record on drive C:
    c:> BootRec /FixBoot
    c:> BootRec /FixMbr

4. graf3x

graf3x Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'v been using a Drobo for the past year now, I love the fact that when i start to run out of space i can just push in another drive and get more -> or replace a small one with a biger one, on the fly :)

5. Trader05

Trader05 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the DS-211 (non-J) model. The thing is fast as hell and its a little overkill for what I need now. Its a great nas unit!

6. bacnation

bacnation Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok time for an update, Well I must say that I have really been blown away by HP's tech support. I have read many negative things about them but the people I have spoken with have been incredibly helpful. At the beginning of this whole fiasco, since recovery disks were on back order and they were going to take 20+ days to ship, my case manager had the idea of over night shipping me a HDD since they include recovery disks in the box. I was excited that I would be restored relatively quickly and the laptop would be in working order again. Unfortunately however like I stated in earlier posts, several tries of restoring my computer did not work and I thought I was going to have to send it in/ return it. Fortunately for me, my case manager had another great idea, try installing the HDD that she shipped to me and then using the recovery disks. I was skeptical but on the first try (after several hours) it worked! Hooray! The only drawback was the laptop shipped with 2x640 GB 7200 rpm while the one I was shipped separately was only 500GB. I have almost no interest in waiting longer to use this machine and I told the woman that and she offered me the 2 year accidental damage protection plan (I only took the standard warranty) and I must say that that sounded quite fair to me... Now I just have to run all of these windows updates and such, so again thanks very much to everyone who tried to help me with my problems in any way, I know I wasn't very clear about them...

7. dlleno

dlleno Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    great follow-up bacnation, sounds like you have a good resolution! and if memory serves you didn't want RAID 0 anyway, and prefered separate C: and D: drives, right? so right now you have:

1. a 500 GB in drive C:, newly/recently shipped from HP
    2. a 640GB 7200 in drive D, one that came shipped in that position
    3. an extra 640GB 7200 laying around, probably with a corrupted master boot record

sorry if I got it wrong...

8. bacnation

bacnation Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yup thats completely correct and no I did not want RAID anymore, I was just a little bummed about losing the 140 GB but its not a huge deal, external HDDs are so cheap I'd rather have this up and running now and expand later... I was also wondering, is that other 640GB HDD junk now?

9. cam121

cam121 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Your hard drive is not "junk" due to a bad bootsector. You can take that extra one and put it in an external enclosure to turn it into an extra drive (you'll need to format it) or you can use imaging software to move your 500GB filesystem to the 640GB drive or put it aside as an extra drive.

10. new_vaio_F

new_vaio_F Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Okay..have a little time to do some testing yesterday and do a 2nd look of the Envy. Beside minor cosmetic issue (gap on the right side, slightly raised cover on the bottom left) which I believe most of you guys probably have as well but might not notice it, it seems to be this is 2100 model. My BIOS version is F13.

Ran 3D mark to see how it performs roughly with stock driver, came out like 1900. Not sure if this is normal or not. Not able to identified the RAID drive through BIOS, but I believe it was 7200RPM. Will install everest later on to make sure. I tried to see if any bloatware that I can removed, doesnt seems to be any.

3D and all ports were working, havent test the bluray drive. I might postponed the SSD upgrade, to me the RAID 0 setup seems snappy enough for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.