*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (2XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shem113

Shem113 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just call up and ask. I didn't have any coupon codes and asked for a discount and the guy had no problem. I got $200 off total. $150 off the price of the laptop and $50 combined off the accessories I purchased.

2. Marcus2137

Marcus2137 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can't get coolsense to update to 2.0. I downloaded 2.0 from HP and when I run it, it runs fine but coolsense doesn't actually get updated. I found that when I run the exe, it just makes itself a new folder called SP52814 in SwSetup and dumps the new files in there.

Any ideas?

3. Bobmitch

Bobmitch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Go inside that folder and look for the executable...run it from the folder...should update Coolsense to 2.0. When I did it, the entire graphic for Coolsense looked different...

4. Marcus2137

Marcus2137 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The folder as 3 files in it, 2 are executable. One is just called Setup, the other is called HPcoolsensesetup or something like that. I tried both and they gave me an error that something needed for the setup wasn't found. I have already tried erasing the folder and reloading it and got the same error. I'm trying one more time.

EDIT: Just tried again, it made the folder again with the 3 files inside 2 executable. If I run either of the two it gets about half way and then says, "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vender."

5. dlleno

dlleno Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm sorry I'm just not able to follow the storyline here, and since everything is so confused, i.e. what recovery DVDs were used with what HDDs and the whole history of what has happened, I think you're better off to return everything back to the way it was shipped to you, and let HP support take it from here, even if it means sending the laptop back to HP. Make sure you dont' have any after market HDD in there when sending back to HP or trying to use HP's recovery disks

6. Phisherman

Phisherman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If I remember correctly, After running the installer. I had no progress bar and it seemed to not work at all. But after running CS it worked perfect.

Did you try uninstalling the original one?

7. dlleno

dlleno Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    this is probably a silly question, since this forum is about Sandy Bridge Envy 17s with 2xxx-series model numbers -- but have you verified via HP Support Assistant that HP CoolSense 1.0 is installed and running properly?

8. MiRRe89

MiRRe89 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you install 2.0? :O

9. new_vaio_F

new_vaio_F Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just got my envy 17 yesterday..it was better then the first 2 I received, still not perfect. There is a tiny gap on the right side, you can have a paper slipped in there, unlike the left side. Anyone have this same issue?

I'm not sure if my HDD is 7200 or 5400 (1.5tb), it doesnt say the type of HD installed on device manager, just RAID 0. Will get into the BIOS later tonight.

10. dlleno

dlleno Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    congratulations! the 1.5TB option is 2x750 7200 rpm, and you can probably check that in your spec sheet as well. Also -- install hwinfo32 that will tell you all kinds of things about the hardware! BTW, a pair of 7200s should scream in RAID0 :D