*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (2XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fiver5

fiver5 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can't remove the memory cover until the drive bay is off.

2. squish72

squish72 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    mine was super super tight and i lifted the front up first (closest to the speaker outs) and it poped like i broke a clip but i couldnt find anything broke but i had to pry like crazy to get mine off

3. TheAtreidesHawk

TheAtreidesHawk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Re: The Throttling Issue

A part of me just wants to put my fingers in my ears and pretend like the problem doesn't exist for multiple reasons....

However given the amount of people who have come forward with the issue I have no choice to be believe that at the very least it does exist.

Now the question for me is does it truly impact the performance of the Envy if left alone? Like does it dramatically affect how good the Envy is at playing a game like Mass Effect 2, DA 2, Starcraft II and so on?

And then there's this supposed fix. The "throttlestop" fix was FIRST mentioned by a user from the Pavilion subforums (dv6/dv7 to be specific if I Remember correctly). The another user experimented with it and said it works. However he also claims that it will dramatically increase temps in the laptop which I definitely would not want. Yet another user a few pages back said that he applied the "throttlestop" and that it didn't raise the temperatures as high as originally stated.

So now I'm worried about whether or it would be better for HP to "Fix" the problem since the fix would apparently just make the laptop ridiculously hot.

Honestly I'd rather just ignore the throttling so long as its not impacting the performance of the notebook. So I guess my questions is how many of you are using throttlestop and has it negatively impacted the temperature of your laptop while using the AMD chip?

4. trucha

trucha Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you have a nail file or knife it might work better sliding it in there and gently moving it toward the center. Sounds like your's is stuck tighter than most. Best of luck!

5. DanaGoyette

DanaGoyette Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you don't want to mar the finish, consider using something like a credit card, instead of something metal.

6. Marcus2137

Marcus2137 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well it ended up cracking the cover on the thin side of the rubber foot. It's really small and hard to notice if you don't know it's there, but of course, I just got the computer so it drives me crazy.

Got my SSD put in, just to find out that I may not be able to use the System Image Discs I made and restore to the new SSD because it's a smaller drive. I'm going to try a trial version of Acronis and see if it will work things out for me...

7. MiRRe89

MiRRe89 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can only talk from my own experience with this, now, I read a lot about throttling and thought omg I wish mine doesn't have this. I didn't run the tests in the Throttling test thread I did some of my own. Played a game, tabbed out of the game and checked the turbo boost gadget and it was up and running on high numbers so I though yay I don't have throttling. Then one member said that that's not a good way to check if there is throttling or not, I should check a log to see if there is or not. I followed and used Real Temp to check the numbers, started up a game and played for a while. Went back and checked the log, first it looked super good and I got my hopes up and thought, wow there might not be any, but there was, and at some point there was several drops and then it could be pretty steady again. Anyways.

I don't think, that if I hadn't read about it here I wouldn't even know there was such thing as throttling, and I didn't really experience anything in the games that could be throttling but the log clearly showed that there was. The only game I can't get to run without ThrottleStop is GTA IV, but that seems to be a little tricky with Win7 too.

BUT, since I do know now that there is throttling I can feel those small lag spikes in games, can be tiny ones and not often but there is some, must be when it goes down to those ridiculous readings. And this is games like: CoD Black Ops, Modern Warfare 2, Mafia 2 (It's really tiny lags, I play on highest on everything it's not really bothering but as I said, since I know there is throttling it did start to bother me)

But then, ThrottleStop got good words from members trying it out so I thought, what do I have to loose I'll try it. Started it, started a game and it went perfectly fluid, not lag spikes at all, once again there was not many without TS but they are completely gone with TS running.

And for temps with TS running, mine don't go as high as for some, never been above 85C so that feels good, My highest temp WITH TS running is 84C and highest WITHOUT TS running is around 82, not a big difference :)

Summary, TS is a great fix to get rid of the throttling, my temps don't go up as high as some have said don't know what it depends on, I use an external fan under my laptop with free airflow if that has anything to do with it. And nothing else on my Envy suffers from throttling, I can watch 3D blurays without noticing anything, read about someone that couldn't even watch a DVD without lag I think. So yea, The Envy is awesome, and TS does a great job!

Hope this can help, or something :)

8. Apoxxx

Apoxxx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, it's very noticeable, you get visible lag every time the CPU clocks down to 800Mhz, which is probably 80% of the time.

9. MiRRe89

MiRRe89 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mine doesn't go down 80% of the time that's for sure, I can see that in my log too. And some games don't show any lag when it does, dead space 2 sure didn't!

10. TheAtreidesHawk

TheAtreidesHawk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the feedback both of you. I'm not opposed to using TS. I just want to get reliable feedback from others who are using that it won't turn the laptop into a frying pan hot enough to cook eggs on it....lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.