*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (2XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobmitch

Bobmitch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    In theory it shouldn't. Example...

In my desktop, I have an EVGA GTX580 SC video card. The core clock is 800, the Shader clock is 1600 and the memory is 2000MHZ. When the video card is in 2D mode...it runs 200 core, 400 shader and 1200 MHZ for memory. Once it cranks up in 3D...it is at the default settings...and the only thing that changes as the temperatures rise is the fan speed to cool it down. Normal fan speed is around 40% with ambient temps of 40-50C. Once temps rise to about 65C...the fan speed cranks up to 60% and by the time the temps approach 85C...fans are 70%. The idea is to keep the power up and let the fans cool it down to avoid thermal problems.

Added aside: In reality...Nvidia releases bios that control the fan speeds. Most of us find their settings inadequate, so we run programs provided by MSI (Afterburner) or EVGA (Precision). These programs give is much more control over fans and let us ramp them up even faster at lower temps. Like uncleweb, the author's name is "Unwinder" Nvidia has acknowledged his work and MSI and EVGA have rewarded him with contracts, where is paid to keep the program up to date and more. Hell...MSI even added an extra applet to theirs, where you can raise the minimum voltage of the video card to force higher overclocks...and MSI, EVGA and Asus all keep full warranties on the cards even if you use the programs. I look at Throttlestop as a CPU version of Afterburner or Precision. It gives you control. What matters here is HOW you use it. If you choose to abuse...you can do damage, as with any program. Used properly...it can be a very useful tool. Too bad computer companies don't give uncleweb a contract...

In our computers...coolsense actually kicks in at a certain temperature threshold. Unfortunately, I don't have any data to say what the top fans speed is on our system exhaust...it gets somewhat loud when running full tilt. Not obnoxious or anything...but when plugged in...the CPU isn't running on power limited by a battery...so NO it shouldn't throttle down, unless told to do so. That is why I believe Intel makes recommendations and certain companies live by those recommendations. HP is very conservative. Dell is somewhat conservative. What shocks me is that Asus was the motherboard company that wrote the rule on overclocking and pushing systems to their limits...YET...they throttle their laptops just as much as HP does...odd indeed!

2. MiRRe89

MiRRe89 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I see, but a guy in the I think it was the throttle fix thread or the throttle test thread that when he did something with coolsense I don't know if it stopped or what it was but could coolsense have anything to do with it?

3. Crimsoned

Crimsoned Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  4. Bobmitch

Reputations:
    There is only one way to know. One would have to do a clean install, using a non HP version of Windows 7. Then...install chipset drivers, etc...all, except NO HP software.

Here is a list of compatible software. The only other questionable one for me would be the Intel Turbo boost technology driver. Without it, your CPU should run at rated speed. Is this a possible cause? I would test before and after installing it.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-...xxx-dv7-5xxx-dv7-6xxx-envy-17-2xxx-intel.html

More drivers can be found here:

Software & Driver Downloads HP ENVY 17t-2000 CTO 3D Edition Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

These are the drivers for the Custom to Order Envy 17 3D. The last four digits of your model and any letters after that tell you what model to look for. MiRRed89 for example has a 2090eo or the like, where eo is european.

Most drivers are the same...any where you download them from...unless in a foreign language

Do NOT install HP software framework...this contains Coolsense. For the time being...just install Intel chipset drivers...Video card drivers, sound and all that. Update Direct X to June 2010, minimum. Get all your hardware working and see if the theory plays out. I believe Fiver5 did a clean install. Fiver...did you install HP software framework? Intel Turbo boost drivers?

5. trucha

trucha Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Bobmitch, I'll try it out when I get my SSD in next week and do a clean install, if peeps can wait that long. :D

6. fiver5

fiver5 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did not know there were drivers for Intel Turbo boost. I did install the HP Software Framework. I installed almost everything from the HP driver site.

I'm convinced that the throttling is a function of something at the BIOS level and is outside of coolsense. I'm also convinced that coolsense is nothing special whatsoever and just a marketing buzzword that HP gave to standard ACPI functions already provided by the Win7 kernel. In fact if you experiment with different coolsense settings and look in your event log in the Thermal-Operational section you can see the passive cooling taking place when in "coolest" or "quietest". My belief is that when you change coolsense settings all that is happening is that different ACPI thresholds are set - probably in the registry somewhere.

I can't prove any of this, and I stopped investigating because honestly I don't care. I set coolsense to "performance," configured ThrottleStop to set multiplier to Turbo and disable Turbo at 95C, then I stopped thinking about it entirely. I can't think of any system I've owned that I didn't have to futz with one way or another to get working just the way I wanted, this is no different in my mind.

7. Bobmitch

Reputations:
    Nor can I. Point well made

8. BoxcarSpawn

BoxcarSpawn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I did a clean install and only put in the essential drivers, no HP framework. I still "suffer" from throttling.

9. Bobmitch

Reputations:
    Pretty much confirms that it is a bios issue. Have you tried Throttlestop?

10. new_vaio_F

new_vaio_F Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    All this issue might be caused by some policy change within the company..they shouldn't fired Mark Hurd...I think the direction where Apotheker bring HP is whack.