*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (2XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobmitch

Bobmitch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you go to the HP website and put in your order number....what is the status? In production???

2. MiRRe89

MiRRe89 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    True, I really hope that us showing that a lot of people are aware of it makes them fix it, I think it sucks they're letting this slide, it is a big issue since it's stated as a gaming laptop on many sites, but if you can't play games cos of throttling, it's no longer a gaming laptop in my eyes. So for those who buys it only for hardcore gaming... Sure many games could work but there will be occasional lag because of Throttling..

3. Bobmitch

Reputations:
    It's odd...but the throttling issue is rearing it's ugly little head in the Asus G73SW boards more and more. I wonder if the 800 MHZ is some Intel spec that everyone takes seriously. I am posting from my desktop right now, but will update this post with a photo from the Envy. When you look at the CPU specs in HWinfo32...the 800 MHZ is there as a spec on the processor. More in a minute. Alienware fixed it...but remember that the primary function of an Alienware notebook is gaming. The Envy is built with a balance. It is not a pure gaming laptop...it is multimedia, I would think medium gaming and business. It is built to be light, thin and a direct competitor to the Mac Book. Early in the Sandy Bridge game...I tried the Asus G73SW. They weigh about 13 pounds. The Envy is about 8. Lighter, thinner and not as good head dissipation, due to one heatsink and two heatpipes, and one exhaust. The Asus and Alienware both have dual exhaust.
    Can it be fixed...YES! The question is will it be fixed or will HP come up with a story about heat, safety and such to cover it

Here...check the CPU LFM 8x

Attached Files:

4. MiRRe89

Reputations:
    Yea I get what your saying but as we've all said, it shouldn't be there and it's still a shame gaming laptop or not. I really hope HP will take this seriously since some here have made great work letting them know about the issue. And for all of us posting that there sure is a problem on (all?) Machines.

But about the heat, If I see it this was, when I use ThrottleStop and the CPU is steady on let's say 2,5 something like that, the heat isn't that much higher then without TS running, can it really be a question about heat, I mean TS stops the throttling and the temps aren't so much higher then when throttling is present, I hope you get what I'm saying :)

5. Killa Joe

Killa Joe Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeap, and a little bit of me is worried now that HP took away the SSD/HDD combo...they better not mess with me that way.... or :eek: :mad: ..... Although I had that order in for about a month so they should honor it, or give me a higher spec SSD, I can't imagine downgrading...and in the unlikely event I have no choice, I might as well ask for a free Envy! Hahah...(how is it I'm still laughing?) :D :confused: :rolleyes:

KJ :cool:

6. MiRRe89

Reputations:
    Bobmitch On your picture it said Min 800MHz, did you mean that it was normal to drop down then? I hate that I don't understand all at times "/

7. Bobmitch

Reputations:
    I get what you are saying...didn't they notify you about the DDR3 1600 in advance? I would imagine that if they were going to pull a stunt like pulling the SSD...that they would have notified you. Someone brought up a post earlier in the thread...I wonder if they are just going to put a larger SSD in the future Envys. Since the SSD in Pavillion is 250 GB...why not Envy? I think you will get the SSD...I get exhausted watching you wait so patiently...it's wearing me out!!! You don't deserve this!

8. Bobmitch

Reputations:
    I think that 800 is supposed to be the minimum CPU speed on battery. All Intel CPU's have speedstep. It was designed to save battery. Example...my old Inspiron E1505 had speedstep. The CPU was 2.0 GHZ, but on battery it was either 800 MHZ or 1.0 GHZ...I don't remember exactly and I don't have the machine any longer. If someone is on battery right now (I am back on desktop)...run HWinfo32 and what is your CPU speed?

9. MiRRe89

Reputations:
    Oh thanks for clearing another thing up for me!!! But since we aren't on battery while playing and testing, it shouldn't drop right? I'm starting to get this more and more thanks to you guys!

10. Killa Joe

Killa Joe Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    :) Yeah, I think you are getting it, and so am I. Great info and thread, as well as the majority of NBR.

KJ :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.