*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (2XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanaGoyette

DanaGoyette Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm, has anyone tried using the QuickLaunch Buttons software from the business laptops? I'd be curious to see whether that'd work.

2. Marcus2137

Marcus2137 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    haha, so I opened my laptop and most things look good.

Considering the fact that it's hand made, there aren't any gaps big enough to bother me (you would have to get very close to see any gap variances).

There is a little waviness in the metal between the bottom of the screen and the keyboard. I can't see it with my eye though, I can only feel it with my hand. I'll loosed the screws in the battery compartment to see if that helps (as someone suggested)

It's really gorgeous and I'm happy I fought it out with HP and kept it.

No dead pixels, and the screen really is amazing. With the screen on 1/2 brightness, it's as bright as my HDX18t at full brightness. At night (and even during the day), it's bright enough to make my eyes uncomfortable, but it's nice to have the brightness when I want/need it.

Much cooler than HDX18t.

No issues with keyboard waviness. The left side stuck up a tiny (but noticeable amount), so I just pushed gently on it and it popped down into place and is 100% flush all around.

The mouse pad isn't bad at all (once I turned tapping off, which I can't stand). I actually kind of like it. The scrolling takes a little getting used to since you have to have a little space between the 2 fingers you use to scroll with.

Only issue: While burning my disk image CD's last night I got a BSOD during the 3rd disk and the computer restarted. So I'm trying to burn them again now and am anxiously waiting to see how it goes. Just starting the 3rd disk again so we'll see what happens.

Overall, I'm very very satisfied and very excited about this laptop. I fully recommend it to anyone at this point (disclaimer: I haven't tried any throttling tests or even used the laptop much yet, but I think for my purposes it will be a great purchase that I will enjoy for years to come, especially at the price paid).

3. Bobmitch

Bobmitch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Marcus...

Enjoy! Wait until you start using the 3D, you are really going to see what this puppy can do. Make sure the scrrews for the keyboard are snug, not tight...all good!!!

4. new_vaio_F

new_vaio_F Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    +1, cant understand it passed their QC! The only thing I can explain is they have bad management over there that pushes people to work as fast as they can, which resulting in poor craftsmanship and skilled people to leave.

I have sent two of them back, waiting for my 3rd one to come for cosmetic issue. I have doubt they have people with sufficient experience/training or a "SKILLED" personnel in building these laptops. Its HP high end laptop built with low end skills...very sad story. Might be going to return that one as well and wait until the Ivy Bridge came out.

The craftsmanship was down A LOT! My E14 is cosmetically almost perfect..what's wrong with you HP!

How do you guys test "Throttle" issue? I like to avoid installing prime,etc. then do the monitoring myself. Any quick way?

5. MiRRe89

MiRRe89 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I ran Real Temp and in settings check log and make it 1 second, then run a game or something that takes a lot of CPU and then check your log, and you'll see if it has dropped down to under 1GHz, around 987 or something like that, then there's throttling.

6. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    It usually cycles the multiplier down to the minimum which is 8 so 798 MHz is a common number to look for in the log file and is evidence of throttling when you are trying to game.

RealTemp 3.67
    http://www.mediafire.com/?jibd769x6z7n0c8

7. new_vaio_F

new_vaio_F Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks! I'll run the Realtemp from the link above once I get my 3rd replacement.

8. MiRRe89

Reputations:
    Oh yea I forgot what numbers it was, thanks!

9. Bobmitch

Bobmitch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The craftsmanship was down A LOT! My E14 is cosmetically almost perfect..what's wrong with you HP!

If you recall there was about a two to three week period when everyone was complaining about late notices, etc. HP was short on supplies and was not building as quickly as orders came in. Once they parts arrived...they pushed to catch up. Now what normally happens when you try to get three weeks of work done in a week...nothing good...that's for sure. In the beginning...they were sending out some decent machines. Some people received pristine systems, while others didn't. Guess the only thing you can do is HOPE until your system arrives.

As far as the throttling issue. It has to be something in the bios that makes the machine throttle to the 8 x 100 under load. This issue seems to effect all HP and Asus machines...yes...Asus G73SW owners are getting throttling too! Dell, depending on model, may or may not. Alienware has been fixed. Not sure about XPS. I believe that it is either an Intel recommendation for thermal protection or the companies are just so afraid of issues that they became conservative and created the throttling...

10. MiRRe89

Reputations:
    Gosh I love your knowledge! But if they were able to fix it on Ailenware, at least I am hopeful they can fix it for us as well :) They just need to get to it!