1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (1XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Envy & HDX' started by L3vi, May 19, 2010.

1. tre-silk

tre-silk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So for all here who have the E17, what overall rating would you give this laptop?

2. outlandos

outlandos Newbie

Reputations:
    Any profesional reviews yet?

3. Cryceratops

Cryceratops Newbie

Reputations:
  4. zeth006

zeth006 Average Joe

Reputations:
  5. samk0814

samk0814 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does the E17 have a 16:10 screen ratio? Or a 16:9?

6. Blue_Alien

Blue_Alien Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you get the Full HD it is 1920x1080. So 16:9.

7. samk0814

samk0814 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OMG that sucks...I might as well get the M17x w/ RGB LED 16:10..stupid companies cutting costs and making 16:9!

8. jacobbobcorn

jacobbobcorn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does the ATI 5850 run on GDDR5? or GDDR3 in the envy17? i just found out that the 5850 can run on gddr3, which would suck. HP doesn't really state on their site whether or not they will have a gddr3 or gddr5 on the 5850, so i geuss they have the right to put whichever they want. maybe hp's planning to have my 5850 run on gddr3 because i used a 300$ coupon. or maybe im just paranoid because my laptop is taking forever..yeah i think im just paranoid.

p.s - ordered mine on 5/26..estm build/ship was 6/7. it's now 6/13. no tracking number. my specs are all base config except for i5 540. i feel like it's just me now, everyone else received theirs. i paid by credit card too. i call them twice a day only to get vague answers. some say the laptop is still in production(?), some say it's finished and waiting for fedex to give a tracking number, but all of them said to wait another 24 hours. seriously hp? i really dont know what to think..i just dont know. i feel like a child getting his lollipop taken away by a big fat school bully.

9. DKside

DKside Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No problems so far 5 days old.:)

Fit & Finish=10
    I have checked all around the edges on the base and they are flush with no gaps or noise from pressing along the edge.
    Screen=10
    I haven't found 1 dead pixel. The viewing angle is better than most laptops I have seen IMO.
    I have no clicking or buzzing & have not made any changes to the microphone settings.
    Primary use is multimedia= Photo Editing & Video Redering
    Still in factory state. I keep all my files on Ext. Drives and don't need the laptop space or faster startup by reinstalling the OS.
    I haven,t tested the webcam.

10. koopal

koopal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @InOverMyHead:

Thanks for your post about using multiple external monitors with the ENVY.
    When using 2 external monitors + the ENVY's monitor, is it possible to run 3 independant screens?

Thanks.

11. BennyPac

BennyPac Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You're not alone. My purchase flew over my head in Portland, OR as it winged its way from Anchorage, AK to Memphis, TN. Now I have to wait for its return flight. Even Santa Claus and Rudolph knew that all he needed was a small parachute to send the lonely toys safely to their new homes and away from the Island of Misfit Laptops.

Oh well . . .

Buck up. Yours will arrive too.

12. johnnobts

johnnobts Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The envy 17 uses gddr5, definitely not the ddr3. This has been confirmed. Acerbic uses a ddr3 5850 which really isn't much faster than a 5830 (epic fail acer!)

13. ScottyP431

ScottyP431 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Random Question:
    Is anyone else having a problem hibernating their envy? Mine goes to hibernate fine, but when I try and wake it up the screen stays off and I end up having to restart the computer.

Some observations:
    1. I have the creek on the left side as mentioned above if you push on it, though it is largely unnoticeable unless you really push/look for it. There are definitely quite a few imperfections in the build- a few tiny chips etc. in different places but they don't really bother me/I don't think I've ever gotten a laptop without such things.
    2. I do not get the high pitched sound.
    3. I don't really have any keyboard flex and I bang the out of the keys when I type. gggggghhhh Just there I really pushed down on G and H as hard as I would like without fear of breaking something and a small amount of flex is barely noticeable.
    4. The touchpad multi touch functions are a bit clumsy. I really only have used them to resize firefox windows based on how big the fonts where and there seems to be a pretty big delay from when you make the gesture to when you see a change in the window size. The clicking can be annoying if it moves the mouse, but if you make sure you just click up/down instead of drawing your finger across the button it works fine. I will definitely be playing around with the sensitivity settings to try and tweak that feature.
    5. The palm rest heat is barely noticeable to me, although in the past I have used a 03 Area 51 which constantly felt like it was about to burst into flames so I may not be as sensitive as other posters to heat.
    6. The screen is really good. I previously had an M17x I also purchased from costco (though the upgrade to 1900 wasn't an option with that one) and the brightness of this screen is much better imo.
    7. the USB ports on the right side being at the front and the CD drive in the back is annoying for plugging in an external mouse - it makes the cord get in the way constantly. Will prob. have to go wireless.
    8. The CD drive doesn't seem to "suck" in the cd until it is almost fully inserted which makes me fear it is broken every time i slowly slide a cd in waiting for it to take it.
    9. The hard drive partitioning by HP was into 4 parts, 2 data disks and then a recovery section and an HP tools section(of 99mb). Which is different from the last 3 hp laptops I've had.
    10. When I first booted it up it said there were 83 processes running, I followed the HP guide someone posted for a new computer and now there are about 50 at startup which still seems high. Can someone who has done a clean install post how many processes you have at start?
    11. Not a scientific measure by any means but the wireless N seems a bit slower then the Alienware N. When installing my dropbox for the first time (on the same network) the Alienware downloaded at 2.3megs, while the envy maxed out at about 1.9 (obviously a lot of other factors could be at play here)
    12. I actually miss the media control buttons of the usual HP computers and the remote :(

If people post what they want pics/vids of I will try and get some this week.

14. sinafl

sinafl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    what would you rate the experience of the laptop? Are you having buyers remorse?

15. MaybeMac

MaybeMac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    p.s - ordered mine on 5/26..estm build/ship was 6/7. it's now 6/13. no tracking number. my specs are all base config except for i5 540. i feel like it's just me now, everyone else received theirs. i paid by credit card too. i call them twice a day only to get vague answers. some say the laptop is still in production(?), some say it's finished and waiting for fedex to give a tracking number, but all of them said to wait another 24 hours. seriously hp? i really dont know what to think..i just dont know.

Sorry, but you're not alone... And I'm very frustrated as well.
    I ordered mine on 5/28 using the $300 coupon. Stock except for the i7-720QM. I received the delay notice on June 10th, the day after my system was set to be built and shipped. The notice was vague, I called and they gave me a $25 coupon and $50 credit when it actually ships. The issue I have is that HP knew of the "product constraints" and they waited until the order is supposed to ship before notifying the customer (me) that it has been delayed. I wouldn't have minded the delays if they had waited to bill me for my order when it actually ships. Now it seems as if I am actually paying for their "product constraints." I'll chalk this up to severe frustration. Here is a list issues I've had with HP's service.

1. The initial delay.
    2. The wait on HP's part to notify customers of "product constraints." until it was supposed to ship
    3. It's been four days since the order was to ship and their website (order status) shows it's still supposed to ship on June 9th.
    4. Next Estimated Ship date is June 23rd.
    5. Survey link on their delay email sent me to another persons order that already shipped and the survey was invalid.
    6. I changed the order number in the survey URL to my order number and it said that my order had already shipped. (HP thanked me for bringing this to their attention)
    7. HP CS continues to try to sell me Printers, Ink, Extended Warranties, Speakers, etc... on every contact I've had with them. In the last email, I mentioned this and asked them not to sell me anything until I have my order, and they did remove the sales portion of their response - thankfully.
    8. HPs CS emails seem to be form letters with some tweeks to fit the current situation... I actually have two emails with the exact same paragraph from two different reps.
    9. I've already paid for something I don't have except for this lousy CS experience.

Now, to be fair. The actual people have been very courteous and friendly to talk to. I understand it's not their fault and they have to live with and work with inconsistent manufacturing & communications processes. I've also owned 5-6 HP computers and handhelds that have given me no trouble whatsoever.

Thankfully my wife is making me wait before I cancel this order and go with my first instinct - a Macbook Pro 15" - i5.

So - sorry to bring a negative tone to the forum. HP is having obvious difficulty in meeting demand for this product.

I am however, despite this comedy of errors, looking forward to receiving my Envy.

16. InOverMyHead

InOverMyHead Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  17. ltarmstrong3

ltarmstrong3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I also ordered about the same time as you (5/27) with the $300 coupon and have yet to see any update on my order status, still says estimated ship date of 6/8 and my delay email saying it would ship 6/11 was also incorrect as it is not even built yet as of 5:30pm on 6/13, I know it is Sunday but come on, all HP is doing is assigning a tracking number once they are built and it takes about 2 days for FedEx to pick up.

I am seeing a trend with delays and the $300 coupon. I wonder if there is a priority on non coupon orders or if HP is consciously delaying them to force order cancellations to to heavy orders at full purchase price.

I would like to hear a soundoff of every one on this thread who purchased with the $300 coupon to report if they recieved their order either; 1. early, 2. on time, 3. already received but arrived late, 4. Delayed and in transit with FedEx or 5. delayed and still not shipped and how late it is. Maybe this will debunk this hypothesis and lay some fears to rest. Hp reps have now lied to me twice on the phone saying on the day after each subsiquent ship date that they are looking at my actual order and that it was finished and it was just waiting to ship, they have no way of knowing that, they are just seeing and repeating the same info I have access to.

I would love to get to the point of giving feedback and discussing the computer itself but if MaybeMac's additional 14 day delay from 6/9 to 6/23 is correct then I just feel this is a very noteworthy discussion for those of us here that are still waiting.

Thanks for your patience, mine is running out.

18. jaxxy

jaxxy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can do this, but need instructions, had a quick look and I found crysis and crysis warhead...which one is it? crysis seems to be 3 years old?

19. koopal

koopal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No. I mean like, running 2 external monitors, each at 1080p and the ENVY screen (at 1080p too, e.g.), not like "one big monitor". I'm probably not making much sense :p

20. jaxxy

jaxxy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Someone has got this working but it requires one monitor to be connected via mini display port. I have ordered a cheap miniDP to DVI converter off ebay and hopefully it will let me use both my monitors as well as the laptop screen at the same time. My monitors are only 19" 4:3 but if I can get it working I will post a video.