*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (1XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by L3vi, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dj045

dj045 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Mine is the first Envy 17 so doesn't have Intel graphics, only ATi graphics. I used DDU to successfully clean all the old drivers off, now I'm having trouble installing any graphics drivers (reference or the latest AMD 14.12 ones), the installation hangs halfway through

2. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What are the chances that it will work on 8.0 but doesn't on 8.1?

Just for info:

8.1 had a major graphics driver backend rewrite. This affects the way drivers are loaded in comparison to 8.0 which is more akin to Windows 7.

EDIT:

Reference might not work since it could be too old for 8.1.
    14.12 might not work because it might be too new and not working for your device.

Please try UnifL 14.4 2.4 (AMD only)

They are modded to work with Windows 10 and were made prior to AMDs own kernel rewrite (ie all drivers past 14.4).

You might get lucky.

OR install Windows 7/8 and see if that changes things to rule out a hardware centric problem.

3. dj045

dj045 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    There was another Windows update a few days back, I downloaded the full 14.12 driver package from AMD's website rather than letting AMD's smart tool decide what drivers to download. Driver installation went without problems and machine has been running stable for a couple of days now. Fingers crossed the problem is fixed.

4. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am confused.

Before you tried the smart tool?

So the current driver .. where is it from ... MS update or AMD?

Check device manager just in case!

5. dj045

dj045 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The current driver is from AMD, on their site you have the option selecting the full driver download package if you know what graphics card you have or you can download a supposed smart tool that will identify your graphics card for you and then download the necessary files automatically.

6. dj045

dj045 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Update, machine had been running fine for the last 4 months, but the freezing problem reoccurred yesterday. I think I've managed to solve it by:

1. Uninstalling graphic drivers using DDU
    2. Then use system restore (which actually fails)
    3. Updated bluetooth drivers
    4. Then installed the AMD 14.12 graphics driver

7. Eurasianman

Eurasianman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's been a while, so I figured I'd just give an update on my use with this laptop.

The screen has developed some flaws over the years between dust between the screen and diplay to bright spots on the screen. I replaced the TIM on the GPU and CPU, and that does not look like it made a difference. The secondary hard drive seemed to be faulty from the start, but HP replaced it for me free of charge. The 6 cell battery life is like 45 minutes. Haven't really tested the 9 cell battery.

Overall, the laptop still runs without issue. Loaded Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 64-bit without issue. Never had it lock up or freeze on me while playing games on it. In fact, I played BioShock Infinite on it and completed the game on the laptop without issue. I do use a cooling pad, but to be honest, I do not think it helps much. The trackpad area and the top left area of the laptop still get extremely hot.

Looking into getting a new laptop within the next week or two. Will probably hold onto this one and just keep it as a back up or something. It did make a nice desktop replacement.

8. dj045

dj045 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  9. dj045

dj045 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Anyone got the IDT driver for Windows 8.1? I'm sure I haven't got the right one as the sound is very thin, no real bass

10. Eurasianman

Eurasianman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interesting. I think I just used the Windows 7 drivers when I had Windows 8.1 update 1 installed. I will have to go back and look at it. Luckily, I installed Win 8.1 on a different hard drive and just swapped it out to get back on the original Windows 7 install that came with the laptop. But as far as I can remember, I did not have any issues running Windows 8/8.1/8.1 update 1 on the HP Envy 17 laptop. Had it like that for a year before I decided to switch back to Windows 7 just for the heck of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.