*HP ENVY 17 & 17 3D (1XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by L3vi, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eurasianman

Eurasianman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Some of it looks like there is dust between the display and the screen itself. The other looks like an extremely bright spot in the middle of the screen. Mainly noticeable if you have a lot of white color around it. Otherwise, not so noticeable. Nonetheless, it is a bit annoying, but I guess I have just gotten use to it to the point where I do not notice is so much anymore. I have thought about just replacing the display itself, but as old as my laptop is, I just can not justify the time and cost to do so. Taking the laptop to reapply the thermal paste almost feels like a wasted effort since I have hardly seen any real benefit.

2. MikeKaos

MikeKaos Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, first time poster here, just picked up this laptop for cheap and having fun tinkering with it, replaced heatsink paste and had to tweak the GPU speeds to prevent crashing (running at 475/1030, damn you .9v) and I got to say what a fun little laptop.. anyways heres the question... I see that the envy 17 also supported the dual core arrandales, I understand I might have to modify the heatsink to cover the CPU (though Im not sure they do look pretty close in overall size) however I was wondering if anyone has ever tried putting an arrandale CPU in this guy, specifally the 640m, nice high base speed, good turbo and runs 10 watts cooler, might be something to try as I can probably get one of these cpus on the cheap (maybe 80 buck). So do you think the laptop would be okay with this CPU change (obvs would be socket G1) would the bios freak out , setting invalid multipliers, I do doubt this as mults and volts are typically set by CPU , though who knows with HP, this is the first time ive tinkered with one. SO what do you guys think?

3. jamessyc

jamessyc Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the hp envy 17 1021tx ..can someone tell me if the HDMI can support monitors with resolutions above 1920x1080 ?

4. propolkin

propolkin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It has too, I think. My 5739G Acer was connected some times to the TV via HDMI, that has larger resolution than 1920x1080. If I`m not mistaken.

5. Drekecpekec

Drekecpekec Newbie

Reputations:
    HI!

I've got HP Envy 1050ea.
    Notebook have ati HD 5850 mobility card.

I flased bios for my graphic card and after restart i get only black screen. I cant even see bios or anithing.
    As i tun on my computer I hear logon sound and everything.. so computer is working but no display picture.

Can anyone send me original or modded bios that works for my card?

6. dj045

dj045 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I didn't know it was possible to flash the bios on the graphics card, where did you get the modded bios from?

7. dj045

dj045 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    On a separate note, can someone post a screenshot of their device manager hardware on an Envy 17?

I've been running Windows 8 quite happily for over a year but the recent 8.1 update or subsequent patches messed something up with my display drivers and power settings and I'm not sure it's detecting the correct hardware any more in the device manager. The computer keeps locking up randomly.

Thanks

8. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have you tried installing fresh Intel HD legacy drivers (MS) + the latest AMD 14.12?

Clean with DDU beforehand!

9. Drekecpekec

Drekecpekec Newbie

Reputations:
  10. dj045

dj045 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.