1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

HP ENVY 15z-j000 ?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by FlameDra, Jun 21, 2013.

1. FlameDra

FlameDra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm going to be getting a laptop for college and I've been researching some models for a while. I'm looking for a good performance laptop which also has some great battery life (around 5-6hrs). Sadly, most of the laptops which I read reviews on, such as the Lenovo Y510p, Lenovo Y500, MSI GE60 0ND, HP ENVY dv6t, Sager NP6652, etc. claim to have only around ~3hrs of battery life when not gaming. However, I plan to use the laptop in my classes a lot (browsing the internet, ms word, etc.) and when ever I do game the laptop will be plugged in.

Recently I came across the HP ENVY 15z-j000 which looks like it has decent specs and also claims to have ~9hours of battery life.

What I want to know is how true this claim is. Will it really be able to deliver at least 6hours of battery life with only FireFox and MS Word being used?

Also, will I be able to play League of Legends, DotA2, TF2 at high with around 60FPS? Can I play more resource intensive single-player games (BioShock Infinite, Tomb Raider, etc.) at medium with a decent framerate (~40FPS)? The Radeon 8750M does seem like its better/equivalent to the nVidia GT 650M, but I'd like to hear you guy's opinions.

Please add in any other pros on cons you guys know about this model, it would be great help!

EDIT: Almost forgot this, does it come in black?

2. Sxooter

Sxooter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can likely play those games at lowest settings with the built in GPU, and at medium or high if you get the 8750. Definitely look at both the GPU and screen upgrade (1080p). The GPU will allow you to play more modern games at much higher settings than the built in GPU in the CPU. Upgrading the CPU is the third thing I'd look at, but the difference in terms of raw CPU horsepower isn't that big, somewhere around 15% or so. And both are probably overclockable if older A8/A10 series are any clue. A similar laptop for about the same price is the Asus N56DP which has an A10 CPU and a 7730 GPU which is within spitting distance of the 8750. My guess is the real world battery life on both laptops will run around 3 hours max in use as a web browsing / note taking platform. If you want more battery life you may have to sacrifice horsepower and get something lighter with a low voltage CPU.

Generally speaking the max performance of the AMD A series is somewhere around the intel core i3/i5 series, but they seem to run cooler and are overclockable while most mobile core i3 and i5 are not.

3. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleast Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Haven't you considered taking a look at Samsung laptops? I know they are a bit pricey but I guess they get the job done when it comes to performance. I just checked the Samsung NP700Z5C-SB2AU. Has i7 processor clocked at 2.4 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, with SSD + 1 TB HDD and claims (yes they are claiming) that battery could last up to 5.4 hours watching DVDs. I think it has also dual GPU setup (onboard Intel and nVIDIA GeForce GT 640M (Optimus) 1GB) defenitely worth looking at.

4. Sxooter

Sxooter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's about twice what the price of what the OP is looking at tho. There area a LOT of good machines with 1080p screens now for well under $1k.

5. FlameDra

Reputations:
    I'm actually looking for something which can run most of my games (while plugged in) and have around ~6hours battery life when only browsing/note taking. I can dish up upto $800 or a bit more, so if I do get this notebook I will most probably be getting the 1080p screen and the GPU upgrade but I'm not so sure if I should get the CPU upgrade though as I don't really want to sacrifice battery life.

I know I can get better performance laptops for my budget, but most of them have only ~3hrs of battery life which does not work for me.

6. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally I am getting this notebook, there are others to choose from, but I have brought the last 3 generations of HP dv6 each year, this will be my 4th. My only downfall on this is the pre-built model I will be getting with Intel only is offered in 1366x768, unless I choose another AMD model, which I don't want or need as my 2012 dv6 is just as fast as this years 2013.
    If you are going to go with the AMD model, make sure you go for the fastest CPU and GPU combo you can get, you will not regret it. Which will be the A10-5750M and 8750M. I have a very similar combo, and the battery life is awesome. I can even game a little on the battery if I want to. The laptop run very cool even under load compared with the Intel machines I have had when under load.
    Good thing about the HP from 2012 and 2013, they use the same battery. All pre-built models come with 6 cell 62WHr batteries which is a decent size to keep powering along for a good amount of time.

7. FlameDra

Reputations:
  8. csclifford

csclifford Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For your price point I would get the Envy 15z-j000 with:

A10 quad core
    Radeon 8750
    1080p screen upgrade
    8GB RAM
    Backlit keyboard

All of that comes out to $740, and should be able to do everything you will ask of it.

9. FlameDra

Reputations:
    Yeah I was thinking of doing the same. The dv6t with the graphics card and the 1080p upgrade comes to around ~$1000, while I will probably get similar performance from the 15z-j000 for a lot less. Battery life should be around 6hours too according to what everyone has said. Its a shame that the 15z-j000 doesn't come in black. :/

10. GloStiX

GloStiX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What about comparing to the 15T-j000 (Haswell version) in terms of battery life and performance?
    I just want a 1080p new-generation CPU laptop for as cheap as possible, but HP lists both Richland and Haswell versions as "9 hours 45 min" -- I don't believe it!