1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

*HP ENVY 15 (3XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Envy & HDX' started by justinkw1, Dec 19, 2011.

1. lockdown571

lockdown571 Notebook Enthusiast

Question here for anyone who overclocks their GPU. Every time I switched to the intel graphics and then switch back to the radeon, my overclock settings are lost. Opening MSI afterburner then returns them to the overclock settings. Does anyone know how to prevent this? I don't want to have to open MSI afterburner every time I switch back to the radeon.

2. thefiverivers

thefiverivers Notebook Enthusiast

Downloaded the custom drivers and they definitely made a difference. But as far as the smart sense stuff goes, I had a problem when I would try to select text by clicking on the bottom half and then using the top half to scroll. It was very jumpy and not smooth at all so i just went back to default values, which seemed to help out. Thanks for the tips though!

3. August318

August318 Newbie

I am thinking about buying Envy but i would prefer ( probably like everybody) to have an Ivy Bridge on board.
    Does HP often refresh HP line? Is there possibility that HP will refresh Envy as soon as Ivy Bridge come?

4. colonels

colonels Notebook Consultant

acording to 2 fedex scales this laptop is 5.6 pounds
    i have the SSD and 1080p orange screen

feels heavier but i guess it isnt

5. shazam26

shazam26 Notebook Geek

Hey HP Clones,

Keyboard Flex!, Keyboard Flex!, Keyboard Flex!
    not to exaggerate it but it looks PRETTY bad. So, mine is still in Production; however, local Fry's had a floor model. My 1st impressions:

. Overall build quality is really good.
    . Red/Orange color issue is there (don't know the built time of this floor model)
    . Display: So everyone has been raving about it so I would say this, IMO, the colors and brightness on T-520 FHD and MBP are
    way better than Envy.

My biggest concern right now is the keyboard flex. I made a video so share your thoughts. Note, I tried with normal typing taps and slight pressure; both resulted is pretty bad flex.

Envy 15 - Showing the Keyboard Flex (Video)

6. c0mplex

c0mplex Notebook Consultant

There is a lot of give when trying to check for keyboard flex, but I never experience its effects when typing.

7. c0mplex

The Envy 15/17 came out early December and Ivy Bridge is set to come out around April (correct?). I doubt HP would refresh its internals before July.

8. thefiverivers

thefiverivers Notebook Enthusiast

HTML:

I definitely do not have that much flex. It's more clicky but not as bad as that.

9. lockdown571

lockdown571 Notebook Enthusiast

FYI, I had the same issue when I first followed the guide for the custom drivers. Then I tried the whole process over again and decided to keep the 'broken' drivers without upgrading to the current ones through windows update. The broken drivers linked in that post seem to work perfectly for me, including text highlighting.

10. brody_

brody_ Notebook Consultant

hows everyone finding battery life?

my experience is it's rather ...on fixed intel mode (performance set to battery life) i get ~3h with surfing, no other apps running. Doesn't sound right?

11. c0mplex

Seems low. I'm using the laptop right now and at 75%, the ETA left is 3 hours and 20 minutes on Power Saver Settings according to the Battery Power Program. The program could be overestimating the time though.

[edit] Yup... totally overestimating the time estimate. Could be because I'm streaming Hulu with the sound mid-way up while I browse this forum.

12. c0mplex

Just an overview of my return process - I went on HP's chat service to ask for a return. The pointed me towards their tech department to see if the red/orange issue can be fixed. The tech representative (probably going to come off racist, but he was clearly Indian, so I doubt I am dealing with a person who truly knows the product - it's just the usual "go through the 3-ring binder to look for answers" type of service) told me that I could ship my unit to them so they can fix the problem by updating the drivers. I told them I can do it myself so I'm currently downloading the latest graphics driver to see if it will fix it. I know that it won't fix the problem - but I'll entertain the possibility none-the-less. Before I got off the phone with the tech representative, he said that my case has been moved up to a supervisor, who will be calling me to see if the problem is fixed.

My guess is that when a rep from HP says that the company is fixing the screen problem, they actually mean that they are just updating the drivers. Unless magic is real, this will not fix the problem.

13. Lvivkse

Lvivkse My username is a typo

Having to revert back to my 14 now 'till the 17 arrives, the 15's IPS display (color gamut notwithstanding) trounces the original 14 Radiance.

I prefer the keyboard on the 14, though. Realized that right away. Great action on this thing (15, not so much)

14. colonels

colonels Notebook Consultant

SWTOR players try this:

do not overclock, just stock
    ATI Catalyst 12.1 preview drivers installed
    start FRAPS in background but DO NOT record
    SWTOR.exe has 2 processes in task manager, make sure both are checked FOR ALL USERS to run as admin and in XP compatibility mode with themes disabled

1920x1080 all settings low, shadows off, runs smooth as silk everywhere AND warzones AND fleet!!!

15. c0mplex

What fps are you getting with those settings? Also, if you were to bump it to medium settings at the native resolution, how big is the dip in fps?

I know that the game is new, but it's still dissapointing to hear that this laptop can only run an MMORPG at low settings.

16. brody_

anyone know how to access the advanced bios?

17. brody_

so much for the 7 or 8 hours claimed by hp. screen on 50%, with wireless surfing I'd expect much more.

really sucks how there is never a perfect laptop regardless of money.

18. c0mplex

I think if I lowered the screen's brightness all the way down, did not use the speakers, and only surfed web pages, I would at least be able to hit 4 1/2 hours. That would be good enough for most people's needs. Still not the advertised time length for battery life, but who is ever honest/reasonable when giving those measurements. :p

19. gameface25

gameface25 Notebook Consultant

I run just fine without all low settings, I think im running them all on high in fact. Runs warm, but runs smooth

20. shazam26

shazam26 Notebook Geek

Hey Envy Clones,

You gotta stop posting negative things about this laptop...J/K. I started with REALLY high hopes about this laptop and everyday I read more on this forum I am less and less excited. I guess HP needs another iteration to get their crap right (Color issues, Keyboard flex, Battery life).

There is a reason that MBP costs so much but the ROI is pretty big IMO.

I am getting very close to going back to MBP (as expensive as that may be)!!!

Sigh.....must fight the urge and get a windows lappy...