*HP ENVY 15 (3XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by justinkw1, Dec 19, 2011.

1. blacksun77

blacksun77 Newbie

Reputations:
    Does this notebook have panel accessible fans? It's been getting a bit hotter than it should lately and I live in a pretty dusty place. I've never cleaned the fans and thought it may be time to. Is it easy to get to and clean them?

2. MattMo

MattMo Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone successfully installed Windows 10 Creators update on a 15t-3200? If so, have you gotten the switchable graphics to function? I'm getting an "installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP operation" which seems likely to be a graphics driver issue.

3. TechStock

TechStock Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have creators update clean install partially working on a 15t-3200. I say partially because I cannont enable the amd card without the system hanging. It hung on installation but I was able to restart(hard restart) and log in before the installation of the amd drivers. I disabled the amd gpu device in device manager so it wouldn't hang. Do you have the amd drivers installed under device manager?

4. MattMo

MattMo Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the AMD drivers installed, version 21.19.519.2 with a date of 2/10/2017
    I see that AMD has released new drivers since I last tried installing the Windows update, so I'll try those.

5. TechStock

Reputations:
    Did you ever have problems with the and drivers freezing the laptop? I can't get drivers after 15.7.1 catalyst to install without freezes. I have manually disabled the device to keep windows from automatically installing the drivers but when a big update like creators update comes out it ignores the setting to not update drivers automatically and freezes the laptop.

6. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Are you guys running the latest BIOS?

So only the Intel card works?

7. TechStock

Reputations:
    For me, Yes and Yes. Trouble aslo with the intel 6300 card on the creators update,but it was acting up just before upgrading. Had to do a network reset this morning to get it functioning. Just as an FYI, I have been running windows 10 on this laptop since it was release. It has been the quirkiest of my machines mostly because of the amd video. It feels like it is driver related. I wish HP would have supported this laptop longer as far as bios updates and the like. I have an older first gen HP Envy 17 3D that works on windows 10 with less issues.

8. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    I got the 2nd gen 3D version that I am still running myself.

About your issue:

I know that the 3rd gen Envy 17 30xx and maybe? even 32xx have a BIOS feature which disables the Intel card upon detection of Windows 8 / 10.

This was due to a feature in the newest BIOS versions for this series. Now I do not know if yours is affected by this but maybe the latest Win 10 and the "special BIOS" are having some kind of quirks.

Try downgrading a few BIOS versions.

I assume you cannot switch off Intel via the BIOS.

9. TechStock

Reputations:
    Thanks for the thoughts, but I believe the bios is dated 2 years prior to Windows 10. There isn't an option for video in the bios for the 15-3200. I would love an option that just permanently disables the AMD card. No need for the AMD card for its current use.

The 1st gen 17 3D has been relegated to a backup to my MSI laptop at this point. Laptop still works fine, but at one point earlier in its life it needed the MB replaced, so for work I needed another machine while it was repaired under warranty.

10. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    Let me rephrase.

I analysed the BIOS myself for the Envy 17 30xx 3D whilst trying to come up with a new way of porting its Intel blocking ability to the Envy 17 2000 3D for the UnifL project.

This special functionality of blocking the Intel card on the 30xx series only gets triggered if it sees an OS that is newer than 7 etc.

Indeed the BIOS is old but this feature wasn't inherently present in the device (here comes the issue of me not knowing if it applies to all 3xxx models - or even the 15 inch).

My theory is that this feature is somehow messing with Windows 10.

I do know that previous versions of the BIOS do not contain this feature.. you could try them out.

Unless your AMD card is broken that is .. which could also be the cause of this strange behaviour.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017