HP Envy 15 32XX: LCD Panel Colors - Faded blues and green cast

Discussion in 'HP' started by pongalong, Jun 17, 2012.

?

Does your screen display colors properly?

1. Yes! Hallelujah I'm one of the lucky ones!

46.4%
  2. No, blues are faded with a green overcast.

32.1%
  3. No, reds are still orange.

17.9%
  4. No, other.

3.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pongalong

pongalong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There was a noticeable improvement after calibrating, but if you're not photo-editing (which I sometimes do) it really wouldn't be beneficial. Colors are more natural now, but it's not as if I'm staring at a new monitor.

Pakii, do you have any other monitor you can compare it to? Even grabbing your old laptop, or iPhone etc to look at the blues should provide a noticeable difference. Your photo and video looked like the blues matched.

Also, would anyone that voted positively on their panel happen to have a place they can get a Spyder (Frys etc)? You could return it later or if you're so inclined and in the SoCal area it'd be interesting to test a "working" panel. I've compared 3 and it still bugs me that my panel may be faulty.

2. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    my phone has an ips screen, i got an hp monitor, toshiba laptop, sony bravia tv... the blue looks the best/deepest on my envy with my phone coming in close.

3. pongalong

Reputations:
    Any chance of a photo? Even doing a side by side with cheap laptops at Frys I was able to see the difference, which makes me concerned that I really did just test 3 bad monitors which is unfortunate considering how much info I provided HP about it.

4. PaKii94

Reputations:
    i went back to look at ur pics in OP. is the blue comparision with pure blue? because if it is, mine is def not like that. along with the white screen and the blue tinting. i tried looking at my screen at every direction but i dont c the blue. so either you have just gotten faulty displays (sorry bro :/) or im still blind lol.

now im worried if my replacement will have this issue. if my replacement does, ill buy the spyder stuff and compare both original and replacement along with my desktop

ill try gettings those pics by tonight with a better camera

5. Floppy312

Floppy312 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for doing this. How are your colors after the calibration? Personally, looking at your original photos, I thought the whites were ones with the most obvious problems (that green cast is just horrible).

6. Floppy312

Floppy312 Newbie

Reputations:
    I think the 60% gamut was for aRGB, not sRGB, no?

7. pongalong

Reputations:
    I'd say the whites have improved and the tint has been minimized. The only real issue now is the faded hue on the blues/cyans, every other color is fairly accurate. I have more detailed reports but they're long and it's a pain to 'print screen' and paste in photoshop for the web one by by one.

8. timjuliani

timjuliani Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's what i couldn't remember or find, but would make more sense numbers wise.

9. pongalong

Reputations:
    It is pure blue using this dead pixel test. The difference is actually more dramatic in person than in the photos. But it's actually not as apparent in pure blue as it is on, let's say facebook again, where there are some cyan/green. That's when the monitors color inaccuracy really kicks in. Another page I look at often with a big difference is this login page, where again the added shades bring out the discrepancy.

Also if you plan to get a Spyder, I read the the X-Rite iDisplay may provide better results, but I don't think non-professionals like us would notice.

Hope your replacement ends up pristine. When are you receiving it?

10. PaKii94

Reputations:

wow then u must have a faulty screen if its worse than it looks in the pictures. that login page does look a bit faded but i would think those are the colorings of that page.

my replacement is estimated to ship july 16 with 2 day shipping so i should have by july 20 at the latest

also, are you using linux? would that have something to do with it? (this might be a noob question but i dont have any experience with linux)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.