*HP ENVY 14 & ENVY 14 Beats (2XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by kangu, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunny5821

gunny5821 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just a thought, but have you checked the "Wireless Adapter Settings" under the advanced Power Options? You may also want to check your other options there as well...

Hope this helped...

2. gunny5821

Reputations:
    Hey guys, as you can see in my signature, I have an Envy already, loving it by the way, but in the next 60 days or so, I plan on buying the Envy 14-21060se Beats Edition. This Envy will be used for all of my Mobility needs as well as my Backup Laptop, so it won't be used a lot (except initially just to give it the standard initial purchase work out). I figure the prices will be right, after the new line gets released. Here are the specs on the unit I want.

Envy 14-2160SE, eight-cell lithium-ion battery, AC adapter
    2.4GHz Intel Core i5-2430M processor, up to 3.0GHz with Turbo Boost
    14.5" diagonal HD BrightView Infinity LED-backlit display with 1366x768
    6GB DDR3 RAM
    80GB SATA solid state drive
    750GB 7200 RPM hard drive, HP ProtectSmart hard drive protection
    SuperMulti DVD burner
    802.11a/g/n WiFi
    Intel Wireless Display technology/WiDi-ready
    Bluetooth technology
    Radeon HD 6630 switchable graphics 1024MB DDR3, up to 4096MB
    Beats Audio
    HP TrueVision HD webcam, microphone
    HP Imagepad
    Backlit keyboard
    10/100/1000 gigabit ethernet
    SD, MMC card reader
    Two USB 2.0 ports
    USB 3.0, HDMI, mini display, RJ-45 ports
    Headphone/mic combo jack
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit

So my question to all of you out there that have this model, how has it been running and have you had ANY issues at all? Has anyone had to send there's in to the Repair Depot and if so, why? Finally, will the "HP 6-cell Slim Fit Battery for Envy 14-1000 Series (RS06)" fit the this model? It says it is for the 1000 series, but HP doesn't list this battery type for the 2000 series, just figured I would ask....

Thanks Folks and I am really looking forward to getting my second Envy (Just love this edition, to bad that are killing it in the 3rd gen)...

3. wetwillycf

wetwillycf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey there Guns, former Marine here too. Ooh rah. I've got the CTO model with the combo mSATA + HDD and I think it's an awesome trade-off for the price and performance. I had a couple issues early on in my Envy life (starting in July) which ended with my 3rd model, but since, my machine is awesome save for a couple minor niggles (one extra bright key, bottom cover flexes).

The one depot experience I had was my fault - I broke a key on my keyboard and they required it to be sent in. It came back all jacked up and that's why I got my last replacement. Overall though I dig it. I know some people think there's too much fan noise but it really doesn't bother me. HP uses 2 different displays for the BrightView one; the LG one is superior. The other one (can't remember who makes it) is merely average at best while the LG one is actually decent (though definitely not awesome).

Not sure about how different the standard concerns are between the 14 and 17s, but I've gathered that the things you need to check upon receipt are:

keyboard flex
    uniformity of keyboard backlighting
    "bubbles" or improper looking edges
    loose screen hinge (i.e., it won't stay if you pick it up or something)

4. gunny5821

Reputations:
    URAH Devil Dog! Thanks for the input! As I mentioned, this will primarily be used for my mobile needs (Which is not that much), but more so as my BACKUP, in the event my primary Envy (See Sig Block), ever goes down. During the time between, it will sit very nicely in it's Envy Sleeve and it's Laptop Carry Case. So it won't be getting a lot of use. However, the first 60 days or so, it will be used as my primary Laptop, just to ensure all is working as it is suppose to. I actually almost bought this one over the Envy I currently have, but the one I have now has all the bells and whistles (minus the 3D, which I just don't have a need for) and went on sale, a sale I couldn't pass by. So I opted to purchase the Envy 14-2160se after the never year. I figure they should have some nice sales coming up on the 2011 models after the 3 gens get released.

Glad to here yours is running great and that your a happy camper! Again, Thanks for the assist and I'll be checking this thread off and on until I get it, than a lot more...

5. gunny5821

Reputations:
    Quick question; The Envy 14-2160se has SATA 3, correct?

6. AJ74

AJ74 Newbie

Reputations:
    I was also wondering about the 6 cell slim fit slice battery. I have an Envy 14-2161SE and I could have sworn there was a slice battery available for it but the HP site doesn't list it as compatible. This is my first post and I'm grateful for any info. Thanks.

7. gunny5821

Reputations:
    I guess this thread doesn't get a lot of attention. Seems some threads get heavy traffic and others get light traffic, oh well.. Congrats and welcome by the way! So tell me, what are the spec's on your Envy, how long have you had it and how has your experience been going with it? Hopefully everything is working picture perfect... As you may have noted from a couple of replies above this, I plan on getting one in about 60 days, so I am trying to find out what current owners have to say...

Again, Welcome!

8. a7medo778

a7medo778 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    guys is there any clue's if the envy 14 is getting a refresh 2 ?

9. computerwiz908

computerwiz908 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    See this thread, which appears to hint at a new "HP ENVY 14 Spectre."

10. computerwiz908

computerwiz908 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Since you want some feedback on the ENVY 14, here's some from me (I've had my ENVY 14-2070nr for about three months now):

It's an awesome laptop, to be honest. The deal I found on Amazon seemed too good to be true; just over $1000 for a Core i5 (2nd-gen), 14" laptop with 6 GB of RAM, a 160 GB SSD, and switchable AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics. I naturally jumped on it, knowing that HP puts a lot of thought into their ENVY line, even though I had a very crappy experience with my old dv9000, which was a big hunk of cheap plastic.

This ENVY 14, on the other hand, has very good build quality, with solid aluminum construction throughout. My only issue with the build quality at this point is a slight gap in the casing in the front of the computer, which other people seem to have experienced as well; it doesn't really bother me that much.

The performance is amazing, as one would expect. And, when I need it on battery for an extended period of time, I can easily crank out a solid 4.5-5 hours in power saving mode and the brightness down, which is more than enough for me.

The Beats audio isn't that amazing, since the hardware doesn't really take full advantage of the tweaking capabilities of the included software, but it's still very good quality.

The SSD really seals the deal when it comes to performance; booting up is freakishly fast, as are all other activities.

In case this helps, this is my Windows Experience Index with all stock hardware and the AMD card enabled.

All in all, a sweet computer and a sweet deal. Do you have any specific questions about it?