*HP ENVY 14 & ENVY 14 Beats (1XXX series) Owners Lounge, Part III*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lammah

lammah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    french keyboards are AZERTY and are significantly differenty than regular US QWERTY
    - all characters are not in the same place
    - A and Q are swapped
    - W and Z are swapped
    - M is where ; is on US keyboards

Unless your french or getting a significant discount, dont go for it.

being french I can use both well, but it takes me a while to go from one to another in the same day.

2. Liberty Prime

Liberty Prime Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I can't wait to see how the tear down on the refresh goes. IF it turns out the USB 3.0 hub can be ported to my older Envy..... I may just do it.

3. MagusDraco

MagusDraco Biiiiiiirrrrdmaaaaaaan

Reputations:
    honestly, the 3.0 hub will probably be soldered onto the motherboard so..*shrugs*

anyway my computer came back. Took a week. Touchpad is fixed.

They swapped out the wireless adapter too for some reason.

edit: Hello customary HP repair center hairline scratches on the metal.

...also man I need to get something to wipe off the screen. So much dust/cardboard flakes/whatever on here.

(though the dust happens anytime you put a laptop in anything be it backpack, notebook sleeve, or uh..wherever)

4. demonhotrod

demonhotrod Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've just gone about updating my Envy 14's graphics drivers, I followed HTWingNut's post (Here) and I downloaded the Catalyst Control Center 11.5 from AMD. It all goes great, black screen, shutdown, restart, reinstall HP AMD&Intel drivers and then finally installing the new 11.5 drivers. But when I go into the Catalyst Control Center and look up the Driver Packaging Version it shows:

8.713.100309a

Which is 10.03 isn't it? Hell, before I tried updating the drivers I was using 10.09 so I have no clue where it got 10.03 from!

Can anyone shed some light on what exactly has gone wrong? Or maybe provide me with a download link to the newest ATI drivers, just to make sure I got the right thing!

5. MagusDraco

Reputations:
    ok

plan B for you: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mobile/11-5_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl.exe

if you didn't get it from a link like that (from say instead AMD's website) you got the downloader or just the CCC.

it won't download you the actual drivers since you're on an intel switchable graphics solution (it's like if your computer was made by sony or toshiba or something).

you have to manually get the driver install file (through the offline installation .exe)

6. demonhotrod

demonhotrod Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Cheers for that mate, I must of only got the updated CCC rather than the actual driver. Bit silly that they don't list the driver separately. The one you linked to is slightly larger than the file I downloaded (75mb compared to 85) so Im fairly sure they aren't the same file. I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes.

Just for future reference, how do you manage to find the actual driver? Or do you separate it yourself?

7. MagusDraco

Reputations:
    you just have to hope someone posts the direct link or in this case modify the direct link from 11.4 (change the 4 to a 5) and be glad amd doesn't change that stuff between versions

8. HPEn14

HPEn14 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is there any noticeable difference from driver to driver? Bug fixes? Or is it just for sake of being up to date?

I noticed FF4 doesn't like when I switch between the ATI and Intel gfx.. I have to restart FF4 afterwards. Chrome doesn't seem to have an issue though. Nor did FF3.

9. MagusDraco

Reputations:
    FF4 use gpu acceleration. you have to turn it off in a couple of spots (options somewhere (acceleration, doesn't specify it's gpu) and/or in some spots on the about:config stuff.

*looks at his returned computer* well, I'm on bios F.23 now. The "max battery whr" is lower on this one. So...whelp.

Also temps are the same.

10. MagusDraco

Reputations:
    *quickly discovers that one of his fans aren't working*

aww hell

edit: or not *just opened it up and saw both working*

must just be windows 7 indexing at the start or whatever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.