*HP ENVY 14 & ENVY 14 Beats (1XXX series) Owners Lounge, Part III*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCenvy14

TCenvy14 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Glad to hear your Envy has lasted you so long! Overall the Envy is a well built and designed laptop. For my purposes, this laptop still fits the bill. If it was still equipped as originally purchased it would probably be feeling rather sluggish...but I have upgraded the processor, RAM, swapped the HDD for a SSD and upgraded to Windows 10 (all for little to no cost). Unfortunately, HDMI output does not work with my current W10 drivers which is a real bummer...but other than that (and the old annoying CPU whine...) I still love this laptop and will keep it for another 1-2 years.

Although if I were to upgrade, the XPS 15 would be one of the laptops I would consider. How do you like it? I also like the new Inspiron 15 7000 "Gaming Series" laptop (even though I don't really game..)

2. TCenvy14

TCenvy14 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Awesome! Yeah, drivers for Windows 10 can be tricky. Auto switching is not as nice as manual switching, but for me I prefer having Windows 10. The only thing I REALLY miss on W10 is the HDMI which doesn't seem to work with these W10 graphic drivers.

3. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Install our latest UnifL 16.2.1 and it will work. I made sure that the HDMI is fixed in that.

4. TCenvy14

TCenvy14 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Awesome!! Thanks for the tip. I was running UnifL 15.11 before and the the HDMI was not working very well. Now with 16.2.1 it appears to function normally! :D I haven't gotten a chance to test a lot of things (HDMI audio, games, 'Radeon Settings,' etc) with 16.2.1 but so far so good.

I really, really appreciate any/all hard work you've done with the UnifL releases! Without UnifiL, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be using this laptop anymore. I'll test it out over the next few days and let you know if I find any bugs.

5. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you for those kind words! The first generation Envy laptops have a special spot in my hear ; ). I am still rocking an Envy 17 2xxx and it still serves me well!

We have received one report where the HDMI in combination with games was having some sort of FPS issues. We are not certain if this is an isolated case or even part of the HDMI bug that persisted.

Do let us know how it works out!

kind regards,

FunkyMike

6. TCenvy14

TCenvy14 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've been using UnifiL 16.2.1 for a few weeks now and I can happily report that it still works great! HDMI works, HDMI audio works, games work (although I don't do much gaming..) and it is pretty reliable. Occasionally my screen will flicker and I will get a notification saying that the AMD driver stopped working but then recovered. Not a big deal to me, as it is pretty rare and always recovers within a second or two. Unless it starts happening more often I doubt it will be an issue.

Also, not really a problem, but when Windows boots from a restart/shutdown, it will get stuck when displaying the little Windows logo and the spiraling loading dial freezes...after a about 5 seconds the screen flickers and then it continues to boot normally. Again, not really an issue but something to note.

Anyway, just thought I'd give you an update!

7. Reckie

Reckie Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Would someone who upgraded to Win10 mind typing down the steps involved?

I guess it takes some special drivers, do i get AMD drivers first or that UnfiL you talked abot?

8. Reckie

Reckie Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Been a bit cautious about getting Win10 since I need the AMD graphics to work, also need the HDMI.

Is it just a matter of installing win10 or would I have to download drivers from AMD and others first? Where do i get the UnifiL driver?

I short step by step guide would be awesome, perhaps not too detailed but just the major steps and what order to get it working?

9. tordogs

tordogs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    http://leshcatlabs.net/downloads_unfil/

This link will take you to the download page for Leshcats latest driver. Can't be much help as to the upgrade process as haven't done it myself yet. Been considering it before the "free" upgrade to W10 ends next month. Were I going to attempt, I'd create a system image of the existing OS and files, let W10 work its magic, install the Leshcat drivers then attempt to find all the other drivers needed to make all the bells and whistles work.

Hopefully someone will do a step-by-step--don't recall but it might have been done somewhere in the previous pages. Guess a search is in order.

10. aBs0lut3z33r0

aBs0lut3z33r0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I bought a new battery last year . Envy 14 works ok for me on power save mode 1100mhz , balance for few hrs . In high performance mode the l laptop switches itself off after few minutes . I am looking to squeeze a year more from it . Either i will be looking for xps 15 good deals or xps 15 2017.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.