*HP ENVY 14 & Envy 14 Beats (1XXX series) Owners Lounge, Part Deux*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fat Dragon

Fat Dragon Just this guy, you know?

Reputations:
    Had to restart so I checked out the advanced BIOS. I'm clueless about most of the stuff in there, and it's clear that a lot of the options are for enabling things that aren't there, but the fan speed thing could be very useful.

On F.13 it said my low fan speed was at 55, high at 70 (maybe 75), throttle at 85, and shut down at 100, so I left it as it was. I wonder if they changed the speeds to my current ones when they issued F.13 and then built F.23 off of an earlier BIOS and forgot to match the F.13 fan thresholds again - that might explain why some of you are coming up with lower fan thresholds than I did...

2. eafd

eafd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    f.23 is the same

3. MagusDraco

MagusDraco Biiiiiiirrrrdmaaaaaaan

Reputations:
    well. it could be I just misremembered the numbers (ok I most definitely remembered the numbers wrong)

4. Fat Dragon

Fat Dragon Just this guy, you know?

Reputations:
    Another question here: I have an issue where my computer wakes up from sleeping within about 10 seconds about 20% of the time, but I have no idea why. Circumstances seem to be pretty much the same whether it auto-wakes or not, and USB devices aren't allowed to wake it. I think it has only happened when I've slept the computer and then shut the lid while it's on its way to sleep mode, but that's about 90% of the time I put it to sleep anyway, so I don't think that's very relevant, just worth checking.

5. MagusDraco

MagusDraco Biiiiiiirrrrdmaaaaaaan

Reputations:
    think that's just an HP "we suck at sleep mode" thing. I remember people talking about that with older envies and them frying in the bag.

also I know that at least for mine when I open the lid it auto wakes up (even when I tell it not to do that or tell it not to go to sleep when I close the lid)

6. zeth006

zeth006 Traveler

Reputations:
    What the hell. I've been noticing that my enter key sometimes doesn't work for a few seconds. Gets about a 10-second delay.

7. zman420

zman420 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Uninstall and reinstall GTA IV, and don't update it is my solution. My frame rate completely took a nosedive any time I would update it. It still acts a bit weird (and by weird I mean "hey it looks like I'm walking on the sky" weird), but the game is playable somewhat.

Try checking under the advanced power options to see if allow wake timers is set to enabled under the sleep section. You can also try powercfg -energy from an elevated command prompt to see if it will tell you the specific program that is waking the computer up.

8. ryandavid1a

ryandavid1a Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The reason I installed the update was because the game was because it was it was stuttering in the first place... so I don't that the update itself was the problem. Thanks though... maybe I'll just try reinstalling completely if nothing else works, I installed via backup from my other pc the first time so maybe that was a problem

9. zman420

zman420 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The version I am on doesn't give you the option for textures water etc. It just gives a render quality option which is set to high, and, at least on mine, it runs pretty decently, minus some texture pop in and weird glitches. Anytime I update though, The game runs all hiccuppy with that stuttering that you speak of.

10. eafd

eafd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The envy's keyboard has some quirks (try pressing shift + colon + p at the same time without letting any of the keys up, the P doesn't register. do this with any other letter and it works), but has this happened before?

Also, you can't use the keyboard for 2-3 seconds after resuming from sleep for some reason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.