1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

*HP ENVY 14 & Envy 14 Beats (1XXX series) Owners Lounge, Part Deux*

Discussion in 'HP Envy & HDX' started by 2.0™, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagusDraco

MagusDraco Biiiiiiirrrrdmaaaaaaan

probably. it's the current driver on hp's website (hp 10.7 or something is what I've nicknamed it since it's like 10.7c if you go by version numbers)

2. MagusDraco

3. lannmann

lannmann Notebook Geek

Thanks so much!
    That worked to much better (and easier) than the method that I tried before. I didn't mind doing a clean install because all my stuff is backed up on my new external (that I made with the 640GB HDD that I replaced :D )

Everything is working great! Now its time to install all the rest of the drivers haha

+ rep!

4. MagusDraco

yw. I did this oh...three days ago and it worked nicely. So much better than the hp 10.3 drivers and their love of getting a black screen mid install (stupid drivers)

5. lannmann

lannmann Notebook Geek

yeah I find it kind of funny that the drivers shut off the screen. It's pretty hard to tell if your update has finished when all you see is black

6. MagusDraco

well it's a bug and switchable graphics is buggier and stuff (it's still first/2nd gen tech for laptops. not all the kinks have been worked out. oh hell no)

7. JJB

JJB Notebook Virtuoso

Regarding BSOD issues; You may want to confirm you are running the most current version of the intel Rapid Storage Tech Driver (9.6.4.1002), version 9.6.0.1014 and earlier had known BSOD issues primarily to do with waking from S3 sleep states and while cycling in and out of S4 states. It may have nothing to do with your BSOD issues but most people are not aware of these BSOD issues since the last thing you would suspect to cause BSOD is the RST drivers.... Look at the read me notes in justinwk1's driver page for more info...

8. bhanuisgreat

bhanuisgreat Notebook Guru

Guys any idea on the 720P screen of envy 14 ?? how good is that ?

9. ECKS

ECKS Notebook Prophet

Not as bright, but who cares if you're indoors.

Bump for performance though.

10. Reckie

Reckie Notebook Geek

Havent seen any tests but looked at in the store next to other computers and since its brightness is around 200 nits its pretty much what every other manufacturer offer?

11. matto247

matto247 Notebook Geek

I just had a look at the hp site, seem's like they're not offering the 1600x900 screen anymore.

Anyone want to buy my 1 1/2 month old envy that's probably had 40 hours use max? :D and with warranty and invoice :D i5 520m, 4gb ram. eh eh :p

decided my so called laptop I was going to use everyday for uni/home has been replaced by a little toshiba netbook ahah. so much easier to carry around.

12. msweeney

msweeney Notebook Consultant

You may want to wait before you make that decision. Typing on that little netbook and staring at that small screen will get old real fast.

13. aBs0lut3z33r0

aBs0lut3z33r0 Notebook Consultant

is it true that e14 has an underpowered 5650 ? someone posted this in other thread

14. MagusDraco

well it's clocked at 450/800 instead of 550/800 like "normal."

the radeon 5650 can range from 450-650 mhz for the core clock (it's always 800mhz for the memory clockspeed) and is usually at 550.

so *shrugs* kinda but it hasn't really been an issue

edit: I mean don't expect to OC it like crazy like you can with the acer 3820TG

15. atifch_84

atifch_84 Newbie

I just called HP concerning the new 2-yr warranty and the 500 GB hard disk becoming standard issue, they didn't budge, but after an hour of customer service and a supervisor i managed to get $130 reduced from my yet to be delivered Envy. at first they said your configuration isn't the same so they cant honor the price change. i asked what was different? they said i received "Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 + Corel VideoStudio Pro X3" and now its no longer offered.i asked why was being penalized for some bloat-ware i didn't even want? so for the inconvenience the supervisor gave me 10% off. So... 10% student discount + 10% Hp customer service + $50 coupon code. I'm really going to LOVE my ENVY 14!!!:D

16. zeth006

zeth006 Average Joe

Got my Envy back but it's got one small problem. I had to be disassembled/reassmebled to be fixed, but the repair tech ended up leaving a tiny portion of what looks like the black LCD ribbon cable hanging out at the seam near the LCD hinge.

Imma look into service manual...

Unless someone has a disassembly guide I can use. I DON'T want to send it back for this. Not if they're this careless.

I think this is probably the last product I'll ever buy from HP. They really messed this one up. LCD ribbon poking out slightly and a screw that can't be removed. I'm filing an RMA claim again this weekend.

17. ucdke

ucdke Notebook Enthusiast

Problem with the RMA is that you may not be able to get the Radiance screen on the new one now!

18. zman420

zman420 Notebook Evangelist

Sounds like pretty shoddy worksmanship. After this weird audio buzzing noise that I have been having, I probably won't be getting an HP again either. It's like they don't really care whether they put out a good product or not. Their tech support is well meaning, but not really effective. Forums like this provide better tech support than almost any of the OEM's actual tech support people. There are much better ways of going about producing Windows computers than the ways the OEM's are now. Load it down with software that dosen't work seems to be the install method that OEM's take. Uneccessary software that just does stuff Windows already does more effectively anyway.

They are an obstacle to a good computing experience.

19. ucdke

ucdke Notebook Enthusiast

You can always build your own laptop if you want.

I remember seeing an article in Computer Shopper (I think) about how to build your own laptop (sort of).

20. lannmann

lannmann Notebook Geek

id love to build my own, but it doesnt really work the same way as building your own desktop. ive built numerous desktops over the years (some for me, some for friends) and i would much rather do that than get some preconfigured one. I just wish there were more options for laptops. you can configure your own sometimes to some extent, by chosing the parts inside, but thats about as far as it goes. im unaware of any decent barebones laptop cases that you can fully assemble yourself. OCZ tried a couple of years ago, but sadly there wasnt much of a demand for them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.