HP Envy 14: Availabilty, etc.

Discussion in 'HP' started by exi, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exi

exi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Based on the support docs that became public some time ago, we've got an Envy 14 coming. Exciting stuff.

This was last rumored back in November '09, if memory serves, but it seems that it might actually materialize. The Envy is what keeps attracting me back to Windows 7-land after having been on OSX for awhile. I'm not a fanboy on either side, so I'm always back and forth based on hardware more than software, especially since using the Win7 RC last year.

The Envy 13 has good battery life (great with the slice battery), reasonably solid performance, a touchpad that has a quirk or two but otherwise bests most other laptop offerings, and an edge-to-edge screen at 1366x768 that generally gets good reviews.

The Envy 15 has crap battery life, fantastic performance, and an apparently great (optional) 1920x1080 display. Heat seems to be an issue, from what I gather.

I'm wondering if the Envy 14 is going to be the happy marriage of the best of both platforms. The only things keeping me from selling my MBP and going to the Envy 13 are the slightly lower battery life, slightly lower resolution, and loss of a couple of inches of screen real estate. With Boot Camp 3.1 and my Win7 Pro disc, I'd be better off just dual-booting with that sort of tradeoff.

I haven't found much as far as possible hardware/specifications of the 14, but I figured here is as good a place as any to start picking up info as it becomes available. Anyone know something I don't?

2. lackofcheese

lackofcheese Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If HP is smart, the Envy 14 will have switchable graphics, and so battery life should be decent - perhaps 5 hours or so.

3. nu_D

nu_D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    HP Envy 15 with the i5 has decent battery life and runs very cool...

4. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Or if all companies would make switchable graphics standard we'd see a nice jump in battery life... but last generation of switchable graphics (ie. Lenovo Tx00 series) really missed the mark and still has lots of issues, so I bet even this generation has the same issues - cross-company driver support (Intel + AMD/ATI and nVidia).

5. lackofcheese

lackofcheese Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think Optimus has basically solved all of the issues with switchable graphics, though ATI doesn't have anything like it yet.

6. snohman82

snohman82 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hate to bump an old topic, but was curious to see if anyone knew of any updates? my envy 15 is coming soon and it would be a shame to see the 14 be released right after my 21 day trial ended.

7. uluvbs

uluvbs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i love how people beat up Apple for not refreshing products. where are the new ENVY 13 or ENVY 14 products??

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Uh, Apple didn't refresh their line for what, two years? The Envy just came out late last year.

9. exi

exi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And was refreshed once since then.

10. dapreview

dapreview Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    apple's refresh of 13" MBP today was pretty weak. should be easy for the next Envy 13/14 to beat it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.