*HP ENVY 14 (1XXX series) Owners Lounge, Part 1*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeth006

zeth006 Traveler

Reputations:
    I love it. Touchpad:

In terms of first impressions, the Envy 14 seems to have gotten a better reception than the Envy 15 did though whether that's because the likes of Engadget never bothered to update the drivers is yet to be seen.

2. Scottee28

Scottee28 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you clean install? I cleaned installed and mine switches everytime or asks to close programs before it switches. Never seen it not switch or unable to after I close a program.

3. zeth006

zeth006 Traveler

Reputations:
    My favorite part:

The Envy 14 is the Hyundai Genesis of 2009/2010. Just as Apple tards often scream "But it's still a PC," German brand fanboys still bleated "But it's a Hyundai." Same d-bags are forced to watch daily as their incomes get drained from overpaying for their machines as the smarter consumers toss aside obsession with brand reputation and pay less for the same quality and refinement. Both the Genesis and the Envy constantly turn heads wherever their owners take them. Both are underrated but appreciated by those who've used them.

I'm lovin' it.

4. MmmHmmmmm

MmmHmmmmm Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    From my understanding its a combination of the mobo/cpu and almost everything that communicates with the mobo. The voltage/power usage of our ssds could be causing the vibration, or it could all be a odd coincidence.

Also I had the Intel 160gb ssd.

5. bbro5

bbro5 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The high pitch noise( I can hear it over a lawn mower) is really annoying so I am sending it in to HP to get it fixed. Bummer only had if for a week, but when paying big bucks it should be nearly perfect, by the way I cant get my Bios to upgrade, it goes through the process when the computer starts back up and uses The HP Bios Updated screen and when it says it is going to restart it never restarts.

6. tornbacchus

tornbacchus GO leafs.. Wait, Nevermid

Reputations:
    He also states he has perfect viewing angles. I would love for that to be true :)

PS: I do not expect to turn heads with this laptop like my Qosmio x300. HP laptops looked all the same to me before, and with prior experience with their products, I wasn't even considering HP to be an option until I happened to research the envy more.

People who don't know a lot about laptops (which is 99% of the public) will not turn their head for a second look. The envy is very low profile to me, and if you don't know a lot about it, it will just look like another HP laptop.

7. JJB

JJB Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's not the driver version that is an issue, they have all been good with just minor improvements ech update. It's HP's failure to setup the synaptics 'settings' to a proper configuration to mak it a good user experience out of the box. You would think the idiots at HP (Berry Ferris) would scream bloody murder and change this immediately in the software they load at the factory, same with screen calibration, brightness control, HD webcam etc. etc.... This is where Apple excels at providing a great first impression out of the box and builds customer loyalty..... Just think of all the poor unkowing consumers who are getting the E 14 and have no idea about all the tweaks needed to improve things, they are living with it straight out of the box :(

8. Virtuous

Virtuous Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Or they're just calling hp and complaining. :p

9. ExodusC

ExodusC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I find it funny that Apple computers fail quite regularly, like any computer (however I believe HP has the highest failure/defect rate of all manufacturers, and I have heard ASUS is the lowest).

See, the thing is, Apple has amazing customer support. Back when I owned an iPhone 3G, it died, and Apple took care of everything, had great and fast customer support over the phone, and replaced it with a brand new iPhone 3G. Note that I never bought anything like AppleCare. However, I sold the iPhone to offset the cost of buying my Nexus One, as I much prefer Android to iOS.

My point is, Apple's customer support is easy and transparent, and if your computer fails, they'll replace it. Admittedly they will sometimes charge you a large sum of money, I'm sure many PC manufacturers do it as well.

If PC manufacturers would launch their products with little to no bloatware, had proper configurations of devices out of the box, and had even decent customer support, it would give Apple a run for money.

PC still has the advantage of being cheap and powerful, which is very beneficial for power users (like most of us here).

Edit: I also have to note Apple is one of the few companies that are honest and do real-world tests with their battery life. The MacBook Pro 13 refresh apparently really does get 10 hours of light internet browsing. ASUS has been okay about this, but many companies (HP, and I'm looking at you, Barry Ferris) simply use synthetic benchmarks with WiFi off, etc.

10. Virtuous

Virtuous Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    HP has a high failure/defect rate because they sell lots budget laptops, netbooks and etc. which are bound to fail. Also, some people, who aren't very computer savvy enjoy the bloatware and think it's a huge plus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.