*HP ENVY 14 (1XXX series) Owners Lounge, Part 1*

Discussion in 'HP Envy & HDX' started by 2.0, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiTh07

LiTh07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When I put my windows cd in, do I just run the setup, or do i boot from that CD? because going though that setup doesnt let me erase the other partitions....

2. StealthReventon

StealthReventon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    One guy said he would but I guess since he's not from the US he can't get his until later. But he said he'd post a detailed guide which I'm waiting for.

Maybe someone else will post a guide cause I really want to install a 750gb hdd.

3. Harb67

Harb67 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well, first, have you checked out this thread? I'm assuming you have already; if you havn't, do so and back up the important stuff it tells you to. Then proceed with installing a fresh copy of W7.

When you're ready to install Windows, boot from the CD and it's pretty straightforward.

4. StealthReventon

StealthReventon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow, that sucks! :(

5. LiTh07

LiTh07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    thanks harb. Yea I am following that thread, but it doesnt say to boot from CD lol

6. cwink

cwink Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you have the Recovery DVDs and they work, wiping out Recovery partition will be fine. I am not sure what exactly is stored on the HP_tools directory, but probably nothing you cannot get from the HP website.

To do a clean install of Windows:
    1. Create the recovery disk, if there is an option, verify the disks after burn
    2. Backup the drivers directory (probably C:\SWSetup) to flash, external HDD, or optical media
    3. Boot the first DVD/CD
    4. Follow on screen guide

Windows should allow you to reinstall while moving the old windows install to C:\windows_old or something like that. If this is your first time, this may be a good idea so you still have everything that was installed before, however it is probably impossible to revert back to that image without booting into a different CD, like a linux live CD, and even then I am not sure if it is possible. To really do a clean install you will want to reformat the partition, and possibly remove the recovery partitions. Since an install only takes an hour or so, I would recommend installing once without a reformat or removing the partitions. If that is successful, then do it again, completely cleaning the system. This will give you the assurance that the install _should_ work.

7. e14

e14 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    its better to have your OS on its own partition seperate from your data so that if you need to reinstall then you can format it and clean install while your data remains safe instead of having to pick apart your whole drive and save things off out of it, and hoping you didnt forget to save anything that was mixed in with the OS before you formatted it. C windows, D data = better.

8. Harb67

Harb67 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That's high on my to-do list. I'd love to swap a 500 or 640gb drive in place of the ODD, and as soon as I get the 14 set up the way I like it and get comfortable with it, I'll start doing the research to figure out what I need for the ODD->HDD swap. If nobody else has a guide up by then I'll post one as I go along, but I can't make any estimates on when it will be other than "not yet".

9. S.M.

S.M. Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you tell me if your fans turn off completely. I set mine in passive mode and they are still on.

10. Kaikou

Kaikou Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just go crazy with the pictures! lol