HP ENVY 13t 2017 / 4K / i7-8550U / 16GB / 512GB / Nvidia MX150 (Costco)

Discussion in 'HP' started by dmivos, Dec 21, 2017.

1. dmivos

dmivos Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    sold out from Costco. only few on Amazon for now

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  2. NYCtech

NYCtech Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I considered it, but there are better value options out there. its still a very sweet machine.

actually strangely looking at the previous model today, they have had mx150 for 2 years. but the goose chose 4GB of Ram, im so over this soldered on state of RAM, either make them slightly bigger or figure out a better way for ram.

And of course you pay 4 times its worth to have the OEM install it.

But at this point in time Id not buy any soldered on ram under 16GB.

On my msi gs40, I watch it in dragon center, and it will creep to about 6GB of compressed RAM just as a running state, throw in some apps and games and you are hitting 10-12GB. give it 2 years and I think 16GB will be the 8GB of today.

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    32GB of last year is the 16GB of the previous year, and is already the 8GB of 5 years ago. :)

64GB is where it's at today, 128GB soon enough.

A TB in RAM is what I am waiting for, then everything can run out of RAM... or Optane 3D NAND. :)

Maybe SSD's will go the way of the HDD, simultaneously, with both out soon...

4. DooMer_MP3

DooMer_MP3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,
    I purchased this model from one of my local Costcos about two weeks ago. While no longer online, they had "about 30" in stock. I am loving this thing. It is small, quiet, and the screen is beautiful. This is my first laptop in over a decade. I was originally looking at the XPS 13, but really wanted something with a little more graphics power in a small footprint for my inner gaming self, and the offerings for Ryzen/Vega ultrabooks at the moment are insanely limited.

So far I've uninstalled a few things and updated to Windows 10 Pro. Also did the BIOS update and latest drivers from HP site, NVIDIA drivers update etc.

I'll mainly be using this for software development, and some light gaming (Steam games, Emulation etc)

I would like to purchase an adapter for hooking up to my TV. Some of the official HP support forums on this model mention needing an adapter that supports "DP Alt Mode". So far on Amazon all I see is a pure HDMI adapter of this type. Does something exist that adds an HDMI port as well as an additional USB-C/USB port?

hmscott likes this.
  5. dmivos

dmivos Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    amazon >> Bqeel BC-C01D
    on some reviews they recommend it

6. dmivos

dmivos Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Maybe someone can tell why touchscreen doesn't work with Windows 7, how we can fix it, need some drivers etc

7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hopefully someone here with the device can help, but if not search for Windows 7 Touch Screen drivers for your screen and forum posts elsewhere for help.

For example Microsoft has Windows 7 Touch Screen drivers for the Surface devices:

Microsoft Touch Pack for Windows 7 - Surface Pro
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17368

You can also open a ticket with HP, online or call, but be patient you may get push back to load Windows 10.

Here's an example (I didn't find one for your model) from HP support forums for the Envy 17:

Drivers for Touch Screen for Envy 17 Windows 7 x64
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...Screen-for-Envy-17-Windows-7-x64/td-p/6474729

You could open a thread there for your model and ask the same question there, hopefully an HP support person or another forum user will answer.

Please come back and let us know what you find.

dmivos likes this.
  8. ritto123

ritto123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  9. james 03

james 03 Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you plz post gpu-z test of your hp envy 13t laptop?

10. BrickToTheFace

BrickToTheFace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Heavily considering buying one of these. Questions for y'all:
    1. I'm not a heavy user, I work from my browsers mostly. Lots Skype and video watching though. No video editing or anything. Is 8GB enough? 16GB is not available here in the Netherlands it seems.
    2. How is the fan noise?
    3. How is the screen brightness?