HP ENVY 13t 2017 / 4K / i7-8550U / 16GB / 512GB / Nvidia MX150 (Costco)

Discussion in 'HP' started by dmivos, Dec 21, 2017.

1. dmivos

dmivos Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I really like 1080p on 4K screen, so I just lower down the screen resolution.
    Also I install Windows 7 Pro to see how it works, then install fresh Windows 10 Pro after. On Windows 7 Pro this laptop works better, but some of software didn't work like touchscreen, Skype, MPC etc) Also I prefer Windows 7 because there is no telemetry and hidden updates, everything under user control, fonts and text in any software looks more sharper.
    Here is more results from Cinebench R15. HP Envy 13t Windows 7 vs Windows 10 comparison
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  2. zerosource

zerosource Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    WOW I want one! I was looking to get this and it's priced at $999!! too bad it's sold. =[

hmscott likes this.
  3. Mdanc

Mdanc Newbie

Reputations:
    It's still available is some Costco stores. I just saw them on sale in a store tonight.

hmscott likes this.
  4. chanukya

chanukya Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well it looks like I will be returning this machine. It looks great but something is off with the GPU. I tried resetting it and running benchmarks again after installing 3D Mark, and still end up at 750 in Fire Strike.
    If you see 3D Mark it's pretty common to get around 3k in Firestrike with this GPU, the only cases where it's less than 2k appear to be HP machines. Something HP has done has throttled this GPU badly. I tried changing performance settings and the resolution but no dice.

I get that this is not a gaming machine, but there's something wrong with a picture where a dedicated Graphics card gives worse performance than an integrated GPU. I'll stick with the surface, it cost 150 more but it has other uses as a tablet..

zerosource likes this.
  5. Mdanc

Mdanc Newbie

Reputations:
    My laptop just arrived. Tested out of the box with Cinebench 15.
    First time I got:
    OpenGL: 56.57 fps
    CPU: 527 cb

Fan was running continues as that time and I opened Task Manager to see who's using the CPU. It was McAfee.

I waited few minutes and retested. Second time it scored:
    OpenGL: 70.30 fps
    CPU: 556 cb

I don't know how to upload the screenshots but anyways those are the numbers. I plan to uninstall McAfee and test again after.

Playing with it for 30 minutes seams pretty quick. Windows boots up in 10 seconds or less.

6. chanukya

chanukya Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for this update. It looks like I had a bad apple then since my scores out of box were half of yours. Returned it today

7. dmivos

dmivos Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My list of uninstalling things and tweaks. McAfee, Office then turned off all unnecessary services and some of them from schedule tasks. Then I used very helpful utility "SSD mini tweaker"

For screenshot you can choose "upload a file", should works

8. dmivos

dmivos Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    they gone from Costco. they removed this laptop from listing. just wondering why

9. Bin Chicken

Bin Chicken Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Dmivos, hows the laptop going now? Do you think you could run Fire Strike and post the results? I'm thinking of buying this laptop and I'm hoping that Chanukya's issues were isolated.

10. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Would really love to see some Firestrike scores to see if anything is up with the MX150 in this laptop as a previous owner suggested.

Bin Chicken likes this.