HP EliteBook 8770W mods/customizations

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by RogueLizard, Jun 2, 2020.

1. ExEmEx

ExEmEx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes I definitely wanna see if that P4000 works with the regular panel

2. RogueLizard

RogueLizard Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    should be here sometime next week.

If it ends up I was wrong, I'm buying another EliteBook for my GF and I'll swap the panels.

Most eDP is 30-pin but there is also 40-pin eDP.

The Dell Latitude E54xx series have dual-type panels that support both LVDS and eDP signals. Tested with the 15.4 inch model.

3. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does the 8770w not have Optimus? So you can edit the vBIOS freely?

Regarding the 3940xm - if you're willing to mod the cooling system, it is a massive boost in CPU performance, and it's overclockable. Otherwise, the 38x0qm is a good and cheap upgrade over the 36xxqm.

I can't see the images, btw

4. RogueLizard

Reputations:
    The 8770W has the CPU's iGPU perma-disabled in the BIOS. The BIOS update packages are also encrypted and you cannot install older versions due to this being a corporate oriented laptop. My BIOS is from 2013 and I refuse to update because I don't want the performance deficit associated with Meltdown/Spectre fixes. My i7 3630QM outperforms a post-patch 6700K. Spectre/Meltdown supposedly knock 25% performance.

The 3940XM is only overclockable inside Intel XTU, not the BIOS. Given that you didn't even know that the laptop doesn't have Optimus, I'd watch what you say in the future.

You can't change the voltage because the BIOS locks it down.

HP SimplePass works on WIndows 7, by the way, even though it's not supposed to.

As far as the images go, no idea what's up with that. I'll try a different host.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Lucious and jotm like this.
  5. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm asking because I have a ZBook and nvflash can't access the vBIOS even with hybrid disabled. Apparently even if it could, it would not work. Id have to edit the vBIOS stored inside the system BIOS and flash it with a hardware programmer directly to the chip. What a headache, but maybe I'll try that. My card is chilling at 60 degrees Celsius at full load which just makes me angry lol

6. RogueLizard

Reputations:
    60c? 60c is really good especially for a laptop at full load. Nothing to get mad at, in fact it's something to be jealous of. My M3000M gets 70+C during Cycles.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2020
  7. RogueLizard

Reputations:
  8. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Haha, yeah, I mean it's so low! I see people getting 30-40% higher clocks, and my heatsink could handle that, but I'm stuck with 835 MHz -_-. It's a Quadro K3100m btw

9. RogueLizard

Reputations:
    K3100M is garbage.

If you send it to me I can modify BIOS for you.

10. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:

XTU doesn't allow overclocking on 8770W. This is locked out on bios level. No matter if the CPU is 3840QM or 3940XM with unlocked multiplier.
    InSpectre app will give you back the performance lost, caused by bios update. No point on staying with old bios.

jotm likes this.