HP EliteBook 8770W mods/customizations

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by RogueLizard, Jun 2, 2020.

1. gangtchen

gangtchen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's curious they decide to solder CPUs but keep mxm GPUs. Anyway I won't have any impact on their policy by complaining. Thanks for your informations !

2. Love is 8770w

Love is 8770w Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes. cannot change the processor. From the g3 series to the present time, HP began the era of soldered processors to the motherboard

3. Paclanc

Paclanc Newbie

Reputations:
    I finally had the money to buy the card, and since this is not hapening any time soon, I bougth the most recent one.
    [​IMG]
    The wifi works well, I don´t have any problems with that, but I do have problems with the bluetooth: it simply doesn't exist. Only the wifi device appears on my windows install, but the bluetooth device doesn't, not even an unknown usb device that I can install drivers for, nothing. I tested the card on another computher and bluetooth does orsk there, but not on my computer. The seller told me to cover pin 20 and 51 but that didn't work.

Do you know what could be the problem? I suspect it may be related to the whitelist I applied earlier, I read on some site that a Lenovo thinkpad user was having a similar problem, and someone told him to just install a bios without a modified whitelist, and then his bluetooth started working.

4. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    WiFi/Bluetooth combo will never work on HP 8570/8770W - it is disabled and the PCI-e slot has missing rails for BT activity. The only option is the original separated BT module from HP, which is located in front of the chassis.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  5. Paclanc

Paclanc Newbie

Reputations:
    Wow, that's disappointing. Well, at least now I can stop looking for fixes.Thank you.

6. stoptriproll

stoptriproll Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, what would be a recommendation for my situation?
    My CPU doesn't overheat in Firestrike, however my GPU does, the fan goes to 100% and after the 2 minute mark my GPU temperature is 85C.
    It has fresh paste and is in a fairly cool room on a table.
    I've been thinking about copying mirage_bg and adding 2 additional heat pipes, however i dont know what the length or thickness of pipes should be, plus how difficult it is to bend them.

If anyone has anything i can try it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

7. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
  8. stoptriproll

stoptriproll Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  9. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    I know it's your post. Cross-posting isn't allowed. (I thought). ;)

10. Paclanc

Paclanc Newbie

Reputations:
    Is it possible to update the TPM module on this laptop? Or is there a way to add a new tpm module?