HP EliteBook 8770W mods/customizations

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by RogueLizard, Jun 2, 2020.

1. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally I would try here on NBR forums first.
    Especially if you live outside Europe.
    Then I would try Kleinanzeige if you are located in Germany...
    It is complicated for such an advise as it is strongly connected to where you are located.
    I would try to look at the different marketplaces (Allegro.pl, Kleinanzeige, some stuff on eBay- but with carefulness there...)
    Personally I have never bought entire laptop online.

gangtchen likes this.
  2. gangtchen

gangtchen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I live in France so shipping from Germany is fairly cheap. I never bought a laptop on internet either but I think it's rather safe for workstations, maybe I am wrong. I'll check those marketplace asap !! Thanks a lot !

mirage_bg likes this.
  3. Love is 8770w

Love is 8770w Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    you can upgrade to DC2, but there are two problems - above 456 drivers, your video card will not work in the device manager (in fact, with maxwell I have a GTX 980M - I sit at 456 and cry), perhaps Pascal will solve this problem. This is a problem from nVidia's side, presumably in vbios, namely in the GOP block of the fragment that is inside the vbios, it needs to be updated. This is a little more complicated than just changing the vbios. Regarding the DC2 display - you need a decoder board and two loops - on taobao they cost about 10-50 dollars, do not look at aliexpress, there are very high prices (not acceptable), + the display - LP173WF3 SLB revision 2 or 3 - costs about $ 100, it's cheaper on taobao - but with delivery it will already align with the price with Aliexpress, so the display with Ali is simpler. Besides, 10 bpc won't work for you on drivers higher than 391-399 - a problem from nVidia. On AMD, 8 bpc look like real 8 bpc (tested on FirePro M4000, 10 bpc not available because the graphics card architecture does not support, only starting with FirePro W7170M, FirePro W5170M, FirePro W5130M and newer (Polaris GPU - WX 4150 / WX7100)) , and at the moment 8 bpc in nvidia are rendered as 6 bpc, which greatly affects the perception of the eyes. This is a very old problem, still not resolved at the nvidia driver level. Solved by flashing the EDID panel. It is very painstaking but doable.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  4. Love is 8770w

Reputations:
    I agree to take G3, there are definitely fewer problems.
    ( unless of course you consider that there is no way to change the processor)) )

5. gangtchen

Reputations:
    Yeah, the cooling system should be enough for a few upgrades. I don't need to change the processor. Btw, which processor do you recommend ? The E3 1535M V5 seems the most powerful option but I don't know how much heat it outputs compared to 6700/6820

6. Love is 8770w

Reputations:
    I think the situation is similar to GTX and Quadro (we are not talking about power supply, but about crystal), the type of GTX ASIC is 70%, for example, while Quadro has about 85% and as a result Quadro is better in endurance and heats less and overclocking is better. With processors, I think the same story! But this has not been proven and I do not have complete information on this matter. Take anyone with 8MB cache and go. Look better at what he had, whether he was loaded often or not) I think you better with this in the thread about the ZBook G3)

gangtchen likes this.
  7. gangtchen

Reputations:
    Thanks, I will do a little bit of research. From what I see it doesn't perform incredibly better than 6820HQ. You said I would not be able to change it. Is it soldered to the motherboard ?

8. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    All of the mobile processors from Skylake onward are soldered, for HP/Zbook that's everything from G3 onward.

The 6820hq something like 5-10% slower vs the Xeon, probably closer to that 5% mark.

gangtchen likes this.
  9. gangtchen

Reputations:
    Thanks, so no real big deal then. Very annoying regarding the soldered CPU.

10. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Exactly, a perfect application of thermal paste vs sloppily using a cheap pad would have greater impact on overall clocks/throttling vs the between those two CPUs.

Yes, it is infuriating that mobile workstations are all BGA CPUs. Very few Clevo models these days with both a socketed Intel CPU and a replaceable / MXM GPU. If you're like me and prefer Intel's mobile chips and AMD's desktop chips, then you are completely out of luck. Mobile anything (Intel included) is all soldered/BGA with the occasional MXM GPUs. The only options for socketed AMD desktop CPU in laptops, monstrosities though they are, all have BGA GPU.

gangtchen likes this.