HP EliteBook 8770W mods/customizations

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by RogueLizard, Jun 2, 2020.

1. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The second photo isn‘t MSi but Eurocom.
    MSi looks like this:

[​IMG]

2. gangtchen

gangtchen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So if I understand correctly, the power supply is the array of metallic blocks labelled R22, R33, etc ?
    My M3000M looks like your bad example
    The only card I have seen that ressembles your good examples is the Quadro RTX 3000 (haven't checked the rest of the RTX lineup)

3. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    M3000M is older generation , where the power supply is completely enough and the reference layout of the PCB is perfect for it.
    But using the same layout for one generation later was really very bad idea, especially with GeForce cores.

4. gangtchen

Reputations:
    Oh ok thanks. That's a little annoying then, that would mean the safest purchase is RTX3000 over P4000 ? The RTX is more expensive but if I keep it longer...

5. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, Quadros are completely ok with this layout. That‘s why I wrote „especially with GeForce cores“. The real problem with the weak power supply appears only with GTX 1070 resoldered cores on the black Quadro‘s PCBs, or as we call it - Chinese Frankensteins:)

SamuelL421 likes this.
  6. gangtchen

Reputations:
    Thanks ! Sorry, by especially I thought you meant mostly but not only. I probably won't be bothered by this since I don't think I will switch to GeForce.
    Also, do you know if it is still possible to switch to DC panel for 8770w ? I can't seem to find it anywhere and I am not sure about all the requirements

7. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It is possible, but not easy...
    The parts you need are the panel itself, the colorboard behind it and the cables.
    All of this stuff you can find either on AliExpress or on TaoBao, but for the second one you would need an agent who will communicate with the seller as most of the sellers there don‘t speak other than Chinese language..

8. gangtchen

Reputations:
    Can you give me an estimate of the total price ? If it is over 300€ it's probably not worth it but I want to extend the laptop's life as much as possible

9. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The colorboard is estimated around 100€, the cables would be around 50€, the panel is 100€ from TaoBao and around 150-180€ on eBay or AliExpress (but there are plenty of resembled ones, which I don‘t recommend) so the TaoBao remains the safest bet, but you need to pay the agent and shipping cost for all of this, so it would definitely go beyond 300€..

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  10. gangtchen

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot. I guess I'll have to switch to 17 G3 then. Do you know the best marketplace for it ? Btw sorry for spamming, you're a gold mine for information