HP EliteBook 8770w and 970M 6GB and 980M 8GB - they work!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by artpra, Jan 13, 2016.

1. artpra

artpra Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    There is no fan mod, I just swapped original with 8740w one, because it have more blades - is it better I don`t know (didn`t compare temps before/after).

triturbo
    just bought ZBook 17 fan (735373-001) and will try to fit it too (it will be long delivery from China). Its black plate - is it thick and hard to cut?
    I don`t plan any OC, but thought that running 320W Dell adapter at its ~60% max power output is healthier than stock 230W at ~86%. I don`t have any warning in Win10.

Updated 980M vBIOS to Prema v2 and ran benchmarks again (the same benchmarks with the same settings in the same order). Results are even a little higher now but max GPU power consumption (reported by HWinfo) went up too and unfortunately it`s a significant increase. 980M peaked at 126W, while with previous vBIOS at 108W - Prema made it run at full capabilities and full potential and it shows lol. But I think that it`s much too much for 8770w and its cooling and I will consider vBIOS "downgrade".

2. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    More blades = better, as long as we are talking about the same rotor diameter and thickness.

You can cut the metal with scissors. Well the fine tune/shaping required some "Dremel" work.

Yep, it's always better if you don't push things to their limits, but sometimes it's necessarily. Pushing the 350W to its limit, that's my dream :D Do you have "HP Quick Launch Buttons" installed?

Yeah, the 980m really is meant to consume more than what it was restricted to by default - 108W. Most users claim about 130W, so you are pretty much spot-on.

3. Not_Another

Not_Another Newbie

Reputations:
    HI, unfortunately I didn't find this thread after already buying a 980m... I was reading at the DC upgrade thread that the the upgrade is possible and bought one...
    I'm unable to get it running however on 8770w with Win 10 x64...

I've downloaded the latest nvidia driver (376.09) swapped the pci ids in nvcvi.inf and used nvdmi... I checked @tanzmeister 's post, however the installation of the driver didn't proceed either....

EDIT:
    Fixed it, using another guide http://null-bin.blogspot.de/2015/08/how-to-modify-nvidia-notebook-driver.html

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  4. Not_Another

Not_Another Newbie

Reputations:
    @triturbo about your Zbook 17 fan mod, what change of temperature you see? I'm running a 980m on my 8770w, but it's getting too hot for playing with the Oculus Rift (which works, you just need an high quality DP to HDMI 2.0 Active adapter. Unfortunately after 20 minutes the thermal protection kicks in, and the HMD (or goggles) start loosing image. )

5. triturbo

Reputations:
    About 6 to 10ºC at full blast, which is 4000rpm. I had issues running it at that speed in one of my systems, so take that in mind.

6. Not_Another

Not_Another Newbie

Reputations:
    What kind of issues if I may ask, also what does the actual mod involve? Is it similar to the mod for the 8740w?

7. triturbo

Reputations:
    I mean I couldn't get it to run @4000rpm, it topped @3500rpm, not sure why. That's the same fan, the HWInfo version was different, so this might be it (I've tried it on my test machine first and was unaware that it can go to 4000rpm, after I saw it running that high I couldn't be bothered to return and retest). It's the same mod, you have to reduce it to the form of your stock fan (which is the same assembly as 8740w).

8. TheKillerTacos

TheKillerTacos Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I can place a Zbook 17 (g1) Fan heatsink to the 8770w? because the zbook has better GPU cooling. that the 8770w

UPDATE: It doesnt fit :c

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  9. triturbo

Reputations:
    You have to grind/cut and match your existing fan layout and then rearrange the wires.

ChanceJackson likes this.
  10. Verklärung

Verklärung Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I'm pretty new to all this but I'm hoping to get a gtx 980 working in my 8770w running windows 10. Will any 980m mxm card work? I just ordered one off of ebay before finding this thread so I hope I won't have issues with the card . . . Also, regarding the fan mods discussed above, which fan is preferred, the 8740 one or the zbook 17 one?

EDIT:

Does anyone who has tried a 970/980 in the 8770w have any input on this? http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...compatible-with-3-displayport-screens.803486/