HP EliteBook 8770w and 970M 6GB and 980M 8GB - they work!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by artpra, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Ali K.

Ali K. Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think the second one with more blades is better. They both have the same current (0.5A) so their RPMs are the same. At this rate, more blades lead to more air flow.

2. artpra

artpra Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It`s great to see you guys keeping this thread alive and your EliteBooks with it too - they still are great machines, missing my Dreamcolor...
    As for questions asked me here or via PM`s about this upgrade: all is written in my posts (here and in owners lounge), nothing more I can add. My 8770w is long gone and all files (vBIOSes, personal notes etc.) regarding upgrade too. Three years and few laptops later I can`t remember all other tiny details now, sorry.

3. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    mirage_bg, what actual size (diameter and z height) are they? Identical diameter?

I would most likely go with the one with more blades.

Hook them up and see which blows 'harder'. ;)

4. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, the diameters are identical, may be the one with less blades has 1mm wider blades.
    For now I am stuck with the one with the bigger amount of blades.
    But frankly, the other one seems really sturdy and the shape of the blades is somehow different, may be it could lead to similar airflow.

5. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    What about the static pressure? Could this be better on the first one, because of the little curvier design of the blades (bit wider too)?

6. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Hmmm... this is what I asked you to test. Power up the fans and see which blows stronger.

7. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    Its difficult , my laptop is fully assembled now and to reach the fans I have to take literally everything apart..

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  8. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    Ok, exchanged them, not much of a difference, except the one with less blades is well recognized and spins at 100% with Notebook Fan Control while the other one reach 90-91% of its full speed.
    The idle temps are better with the one with 17 blades - the gpu stays at 24-25, while with the other one - around 28-29C.
    Under load there is no difference.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  9. Verklärung

Verklärung Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've read that the best fan upgrade is actually from the zbook (1st gen 15 I think, but I dont remember). Its enclosure is actually shaped entirely different so you have to cut out the shape of the original 8770w's fan enclosure from it (it's made of metal) to make it fit. I bought the fan off Ebay at one point but never cut it and made the mod, but there's info about it around here if you search.

10. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    Do you still have your 8770w?
    I bought M5000M for mine and the temps are just insanely low - it operates at 66-67C with +135Mhz OC (1185Mhz) at stock voltage.
    It doesn't throttle as my previous gtx 980m did.
    How behaves your gtx 980m in your 8770w if you stll have it?