HP EliteBook 8770w and 970M 6GB and 980M 8GB - they work!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by artpra, Jan 13, 2016.

1. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anybody??

2. Verklärung

Verklärung Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Seriously? It hasn't even been 12 hours. This doesn't make anyone respond any faster.

3. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    =OFF=

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 9:33 AM
  4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This actualy made me not want to answer your question. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@Verklärung
    How does the graphite hold up vs LM?

5. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    I am sorry if I have offended someone. It wasn’t my intention.

I would be very grateful if someone help me with advise.

6. Verklärung

Reputations:
    To be obtusely literal, it holds up much better than liquid metal since you never have to replace it. :p But temperatures don't compare at all. It's comparable to paste and I've found my temps are within a couple degrees, if even that much, of paste. My 8770w and ZBook 17 G4 both have pretty powerful GPUs (a GTX 980M and Quadro P5000 respectively) that can run on the warmer side, and I haven't noticed any loss in performance. The main reason for using it isn't because of the amazing performance gains; rather the main selling point is never having do thermal compound related maintenance again, especially on systems like AIOs and laptops which can be annoying at best to open up repeatedly.

And I'm sure someone will add something when they have something to add. Until then, you're stuck with me, and if you really want an answer that badly from someone who has nothing useful to contribute, I guess here you go:

I don't have that display, that system, that GPU, or that issue, therefor I have not managed to resolve the problem with grayscale using that hardware.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 9:51 AM
  7. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    In your NVIDIA control panel you havbe options to set the color range and bit of the panel.
    Depends on the system. I literally have to lose 2 screws, take a plate off, loosen 3/4 (depending on what I want to repaste more screws and take the heatsink of. Worth the extra tempgains.

I do get the appeal for pain in the *** to open notebooks that don't have OCed hardware tho.Neat to know, I might get it for "repaste" of notebooks that dont need high performance Tim.

8. Verklärung

Reputations:
    For ZBooks/8770w (they're all roughly the same) you gotta remove the security screw (yeah I use that), ~9 torx screws that hold the bottom case (newer ZBooks) or top cover (8770/older ZBooks), 2 or 3 screws for the keyboard (older), 3 or 4 ribbon cables (older), a few more connectors for the fans, and finally the screws for the heatsink(s). It's not terrible, but a nuisance.

Another idea for using IC Graphite is if you're putting together a system (desktop or laptop) for family or friends who you know won't regularly maintenance the system, whether that's a build from scratch, or even if you're just tuning up a laptop for someone. I've taken apart some new gaming laptops and such for friends just to replace the crap stock paste. I'll be replacing it with IC Graphite going forward unless it's for someone who knows how to service it themselves.

9. mirage_bg

Reputations:

I’ve done this, 10 bpc is selected, still there is visible banding/gradience in grayscale...

10. Verklärung

Reputations:
    Do you know for a fact that it's not the source?